GIMP 2.99.10 Released As "A Pretty Massive Step" Toward GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
    They will skip 3.0 and head to 4.0 for GTK4... But it will be 5 these days.
    Is GTK5 already around the corner?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

C) I don't care, I find it funny.
      Whats even more funny is people developing complex applications based on gnome and GTK... which are like the polar opposite of the direction taken by the rest of the industry in code safety and security.

For every code safety check Rust adds I bet the design of gnome written in C violates some basic rule of safe programming and clubs a dozen baby seals. And when I say basic I mean Gnome is well known to throw around random data without any type info on it at all... just void pointers.
      Last edited by cb88; 25 February 2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
        I don't understand one point: why are they including the migration to GtkApplication now? I think that it would be better to launch a version with only the needed changes to work with Gtk3, using the old method with Gtk.main() et al. and replacing only those things that were exclusive for Gtk2, and, after having a stable 3.0 version, migrate step-by-step to those elements that are new to Gtk3.
        I think it's the "clean break" mentality. I kinda get it, as I'm holding things up on a project right now to make a clean break.

Comment

Nice, the multiple layers select is a huge improvement, we are pretty close to have those missing features that all we want!

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
            They will skip 3.0 and head to 4.0 for GTK4... But it will be 5 these days.
            You joke, but that's exactly what Pidgin is doing.

Comment

Year 2032 - GIMP 3.0 is just around the corner.

I swear I was reading about the "BABL and GEGL" shit 10 years ago as a precursor to GIMP 3.0
              GEGL in the context of Gimp is way older than that... I'd say the basic design and ideas is about 20 years old. It was just concepts waiting to be implemented for many years. And the context was not primarily Gimp 3, byt to be able to support CMYK and non destructive editing. Then when you read about it was probably when one developer finally started to implement GEGL and then the additional BABL. But since it is basically a total rewrite of the whole inner imaging mechanisms, it takes time to get everything in place, especially with few developers on a large project.

Comment

I'll never understand why Gimp gets so much hate...
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It is indeed impressive that volunteer developers have been working on this for so long. If you do care about the care about pace of development, head over to https://www.gimp.org/donating/
                  More money doesn't necessarily equal more development.

Comment

Year 2032 - GIMP 3.0 is just around the corner.

I swear I was reading about the "BABL and GEGL" shit 10 years ago as a precursor to GIMP 3.0
                    babl and GEGL have been used for very minor things in GIMP since v2.6 released aeons ago. It' was v2.10 released 4 years ago where both libraries finally got some real action (manage buffers, build the graph, provide high bit depth support etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                      For every code safety check Rust adds I bet the design of gnome written in C violates some basic rule of safe programming and clubs a dozen baby seals
                      So you would rather than spend their time writing and maintaining bindings for Rust, Swift, Python, Go? I would rather they just work on what they want to work on.

Comment

Working...
                      X