GIMP 2.99.10 Released As "A Pretty Massive Step" Toward GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

More money doesn't necessarily equal more development.
    Not always but for an underfunded project like GIMP, it most certainly is a more effective way to help.

Comment

There is no onloading community, only for those geeks who remember Linux Desktop Market Domination and on Windows(GIMP 3) it is undeveloped shit. Where are the money flowing in? And why there anyone should use such software instead of commercial ones with version 3 approaching last x years? Need to think about... Some times ago there were commercial movies made by GIMP, now there is a lot of industry, but GIMP missing... Where is Disney, Marvel, ... ?????????????????????????????????????? WTF

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
        There is no onloading community, only for those geeks who remember Linux Desktop Market Domination and on Windows(GIMP 3) it is undeveloped shit. Where are the money flowing in? And why there anyone should use such software instead of commercial ones with version 3 approaching last x years? Need to think about... Some times ago there were commercial movies made by GIMP, now there is a lot of industry, but GIMP missing... Where is Disney, Marvel, ... ?????????????????????????????????????? WTF
        Don't really understand what you tried to complain about...

But once was available a fork of Gimp called CinePaint, the peculiarity (much before PS) was high-depth colors and the ability to work with frames, it had its momentum but for unknown reasons was unable to gather interested around it, also at that time open source was not a thing at all.

I personally patron Øyvind Kolås but this is, obviously, not enough for accelerating the process, probably the situation might change when the basic stuff that everyone are waiting will be available and when introducing new features would be much easier than before.

Maybe at this rate someone might consider to inject money inside Gimp even though while Blender have been always a spot among 3D artists, the 99% of people that for any reason use PS do not know anything else than PS and practically nothing about Gimp.

But I do not really care about market money injection in Gimp, eventually PS and Gimp are tools: the quality of your job will always depends 98% by your skills and knowledge.
        Last edited by Danielsan; 25 February 2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Year 2030.

Firefox and Chrome : Version 9999999

Gimp : Version 2.99.9999999999

Comment

GIMP is awesome!

I've used it for everything from creating complex graphics to editing relatives photos, and it has never failed me. In fact the developers knew they couldn't do everything at once, so they started with the most critical functions and capabilities and have expanded it ever outwards.

So if you want to reward those who created it, and increase the speed of its development, then for goodness sake just send them a few dollars a month. I mean seriously, when I see complaints about GIMP I wonder how many give even the minimum $3.50 a month they ask for support.

I'm not kidding, if you go to Patron you'll find that Øyvind Kolås only asks for a minimum of $2.00, and ZeMarmot $1.50.

So either support the project, or stop complaining about it and spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on the closed source program of your choice.

Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              GIMP is awesome!

I've used it for everything from creating complex graphics to editing relatives photos, and it has never failed me. In fact the developers knew they couldn't do everything at once, so they started with the most critical functions and capabilities and have expanded it ever outwards.

So if you want to reward those who created it, and increase the speed of its development, then for goodness sake just send them a few dollars a month. I mean seriously, when I see complaints about GIMP I wonder how many give even the minimum $3.50 a month they ask for support.

I'm not kidding, if you go to Patron you'll find that Øyvind Kolås only asks for a minimum of $2.00, and ZeMarmot $1.50.

So either support the project, or stop complaining about it and spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on the closed source program of your choice.

Sheesh.
              Wow, Øyvind is currently only raking in $1473 per month via Patreon and he doesn't seem to have any other income (looks like he worked at Intel until 2011 but went completely independent after that). Meanwhile Adobe bathes in billions and people still are mad at GIMP...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Whats even more funny is people developing complex applications based on gnome and GTK... which are like the polar opposite of the direction taken by the rest of the industry in code safety and security.

For every code safety check Rust adds I bet the design of gnome written in C violates some basic rule of safe programming and clubs a dozen baby seals. And when I say basic I mean Gnome is well known to throw around random data without any type info on it at all... just void pointers.
                As much as I dislike GNOME's architecture, I think the remark about void* is a little unfair. They do at least have a well-developed type system that should preclude the need to pass around void*s, even if it's written entirely in C macros, nearly impossible to debug, NIH, and antithetical to C++.

Comment

Isn't 2.99 the beta release for the GTK3 enabled release? If so then people need to STFU about what the devs are doing, install it and submit their bugs so the devs can fix them and do the actual 3.0 release.

Comment

Its completely fair thier hackjob of a "type system" cant even enforece anything at compile time because its all based on passing around voids .... thats literally crazy when they should just use C style with C++'s type system.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      I don't care

Is it just me, or do I notice a hint of political pun and maybe a pundit?

Nah, it's just me.

Comment

Working...
                      X