Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    No the reality here is
    WebP has a limitation 16383 x 16383 at 14 bit colour per channel.
    avif is 65536 x 65536 at 12 bit colour per channel
    jpeg is 65536 x 65536 at 8 bit colour per channel
    In something like a document editor 16k x 16k could be a feature, not a bug. Even at 8-bit (given what @quickee said), that's 768 MB, which is even a bit much for some low-end machines that could still open the file.

Png may be a old format but its serous monster to replace and currently there is no real common used format that can be a replacement to png use cases.
    Why are you concerned about that? They're not dropping PNG support, so this is a non-issue.

Reality here if camera sensors keep on growing in the high end cameras the way they are inside 10 years we could be up in the 300 megapixel raw sensor.
    I'm not worried about that. At some point, the megapixel race will have to slow down, as the "reality" of dealing with such massive images sets in, taken together with the fact that all these pixels aren't really adding more information as the optics can't possibly support that.

Comment

Yes the one fun problem of ODF documents is the support of 3 metre by 3 metre documents including need background image that size. What designed for web does not always fit when you are dealing with physical document/poster/signboard production.
      Does it need to? Does the same format need to support both structured text documents and professional sign production? That's not at all obvious to me.

I think you're trying to invent problems, here.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        It gives you an easier way of knowing whether a toolchain will be able to properly open, display, or convert the file. I agree that's of limited usefulness, but it's not nothing.
        Well it also means that in most cases it will be able to open and display the document properly, because there will be no WebP images used - so you will have false positives (you see 1.4 but can't really know if it is a problem until you look what images there are). The only usefulness would be if you insist on strict ODF 1.3 document, so conversion to PNG/JPEG can be done in that case, and if you are fine with 1.4 then WebP will be used. But then this can also be done with strict 1.3 and 1.3 + extensions - the way new features are currently implemented currently.

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post
          Well it also means that in most cases it will be able to open and display the document properly, because there will be no WebP images used - so you will have false positives (you see 1.4 but can't really know if it is a problem until you look what images there are)..
          I don't know the way their versions are defined, but a common technique is to rev the minor version when new features are added in a way that doesn't break support for existing features. In that case, the new files could load with a warning.

Also, when saving the file, Libre Office could automatically use the oldest version that supports all the features currently in use, thereby avoiding needless false warnings of potential incompatibilities.

Comment

I'm not worried about that. At some point, the megapixel race will have to slow down, as the "reality" of dealing with such massive images sets in, taken together with the fact that all these pixels aren't really adding more information as the optics can't possibly support that.
            Large format film cameras that are then printed then scanned give you a megapixel of 2400. So optics are able to support it. Yes the tolerance to optic defects reduces.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...tphone-camera/ Yes there is already 200 Megapixel camera for smartphones. Let alone what Dslr that allow bigger sensors allow. 300 and 400 megapixel sensor could be built today if the technology used in the 200 megapixel sensors for smart phones was applied in the DSLR space. Of course with the 4x merge tech 300 mega pixel comes 1200 megapixel and 400 is 1600 megapixel.

Does it need to? Does the same format need to support both structured text documents and professional sign production? That's not at all obvious to me.
            document/poster/signboard << You did not get what the combination would be. You are marketing something like a movie and you are after marketing material.

You will have A4 210 x 297mm version of a poster to like on a book cover then you will have movie poster sizes
            One Sheet 685.8mm x 1016mm 27 x 40inch
            Three Sheet 1041.4mm x 2057.4mm 41 x 81in

Then there are you bigger banners. Now you need to maintain a uniform look between all of them. Yes it fun enough some of these are close enough ratios. A4 is 0.7(210/297) Onesheet at 0.675(685.8/1016) so the Onesheet image can be used on A4 just with a little bit of bordering.

A3 flyer, A4 book, OneSheet and your big market banners have the habit of being 0.7=0.66 ratio. 1800x3000mm for you bigger banners. Portrait and Landscape come into play here.

Coder png kind of fits for this use case but its not ideal due to being limited to RGB. Yes the massive number of channels of Jpeg XL is really suitable for spot colour printing. Some of the oddities about JPEG XL is really because it design for the marketing usage and as a proper replacement to the use cases of large PNG today. Yes the use case that you are marketing a movie or something and you are needing to keep you marking material consistent. Yes the bigger versions have more details but it from the one source image.

Yes structural text might be a document about the show and the cover is the poster or a copy of the poster is in the book point out hidden elements..... Lot of different uses here.

Comment

Large format film cameras that are then printed then scanned give you a megapixel of 2400. So optics are able to support it. Yes the tolerance to optic defects reduces.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...tphone-camera/ Yes there is already 200 Megapixel camera for smartphones. Let alone what Dslr that allow bigger sensors allow. 300 and 400 megapixel sensor could be built today if the technology used in the 200 megapixel sensors for smart phones was applied in the DSLR space. Of course with the 4x merge tech 300 mega pixel comes 1200 megapixel and 400 is 1600 megapixel.
              This article makes a pretty good case that 100 MPix is the usable limit, for smart phone cameras. Anything more is basically pointless.

So, we might still see a couple more iterations, but I think the megapixel race is probably nearing its end, in the phone market.

document/poster/signboard << You did not get what the combination would be. You are marketing something like a movie and you are after marketing material.
              I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Libre Office doc files really need to handle such large images. When you get to that scale, there are different tools that come into play.

Comment

This article makes a pretty good case that 100 MPix is the usable limit, for smart phone cameras. Anything more is basically pointless.

So, we might still see a couple more iterations, but I think the megapixel race is probably nearing its end, in the phone market.
                DSLR with the bigger optics and bigger sensor don't have the same limitation as the phone cameras. 300-400MPix in DSLR will be usable valves. Yes the multi of that will also be usable for particular shots. Lot of new sensor tech for DSLR has been tested out in the phone cameras first. So when phone cameras come to end DSLR will 5 to 10 years down the track also stop expanding as much. But you have to remember how many times bigger the sensor is in.

DSLR full frame sensor is 36mm x 24mm=864mm2 sensor surface and that new 200 MPIX camera in phones is 10.48mm x 7.86mm= 82.3728 mm2. So same tech applied to DSLR so at least 10 times higher. 2000MPix camera as in 163,840 x 122,880. Storage is going to be problem and these will be huge.

163,840 x 122,880 might seam large. Printing 1200 dpi this is 137*102.4 this is over 3 meter print. You highest printers are 2400 dpi this is not over 3 meters.

MPix valve DSLR cameras will be putting out by the end of the MPix expand is just going to be insane. Yes 2000MPix before the DSLR take 4 pictures and merge.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Libre Office doc files really need to handle such large images. When you get to that scale, there are different tools that come into play.

There have been a lot of things people said that openoffice/libreoffice would not need to handle and due to users have had to handle. Do remember LibreOffice draw documents. Draw in libreoffice is really intended to be able handle huge documents. At the end of the camera mega pixel mess we might be asking if ODF 3mx3m is too small due to photos being so huge.

Comment

Working...
                X