Firefox Nightly Begins Activating Wayland For Capable Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Would love to test Firefox under Wayland with XFCE. Oh, wait.
    Get the XFCE team to do something about it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

To me the issue isn't because the Gtk file picker looks ugly but because folders aren't even sorted out before regular files! Firefox probably takes care of it by default but I used other apps that have this and boy is it confusing and annoying.

Not to mention the Gtk file picker feels like it was developed by aliens from Mars, not real people.
      I've been told UX experts tend to ask about 5 persons for detailed input, as usually 80% of valuable information for a project's UX can be obtained from that number of people. For the sake of the argument, let's assume this (imho very bold) statement is true:
      Whoever designed the Gnome File Picker probably asked 5 persons who all have a deep seated hatred for people who use computers and intentionally gave the most stupid answers they could come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        To be frank I've been using Firefox with Wayland for a long time now without issues. On my hardware configuration at least it has been working 100%.
        Did you ever try to open a file? It was crashing for me on all kinds of different hardware until 97 version fixed a regression. I think these type of errors are the reason people avoid pure wayland mode and keep using X11 one with xwayland. Its better now but until they start treating wayland more serious it is still experimental.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

As a workaround for it not being default, you can export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1.
          I don't think that works anymore, at least it didn't for me. I just tried `widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal` in about:config and it works without needing to change the environment. That's what I was missing from great FF experience

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post

Did you ever try to open a file? It was crashing for me on all kinds of different hardware until 97 version fixed a regression. I think these type of errors are the reason people avoid pure wayland mode and keep using X11 one with xwayland. Its better now but until they start treating wayland more serious it is still experimental.
            Yes I routinely open files and never had a problem with that. On one machine I've got firefox installed via rpm and on another it's from flathub, both run on wayland (gnome 41)

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

That sounds like a "you" problem, buddy.
              That sounds like an insult, but whatever. Not the first time time here. I'm just kinda appalled six more people have joined you in attacking me.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Would love to test Firefox under Wayland with XFCE.

Oh, wait.
                Xfce devs are going to (thankfully) keep doing what they're doing: sticking with stable libraries so that users have the least-buggy experience possible in a modern desktop (which is of utmost importance when using your linux desktop for more than just hobbies and entertainment). Wayland will be implemented when the devs can make sure the experience is as close to bug-free as possible.

If you want to test wayland firefox, the main thing you need supporting wayland is the compositor. Just use a wayland compositor and use xwayland for the main desktop apps. Wayfire is coming along nicely as a wayland compositor for use with Xfce amongst other desktops. Anything that directly supports wayland will still be able to take full advantage of that.
                Last edited by lectrode; 26 January 2022, 05:43 AM.

Comment

I liked that on Firefox on X.Org, the Firefox application window would always in the same position where I closed it.
                  Unfortunately, in Firefox on Wayland it doesn't remember the window position and always open in a way that I have to move the window.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post

Xfce devs are going to (thankfully) keep doing what they're doing: sticking with stable libraries so that users have the least-buggy experience possible in a modern desktop (which is of utmost importance when using your linux desktop for more than just hobbies and entertainment). Wayland will be implemented when the devs can make sure the experience is as close to bug-free as possible.

If you want to test wayland firefox, the main thing you need supporting wayland is the compositor. Just use a wayland compositor and use xwayland for the main desktop apps. Wayfire is coming along nicely as a wayland compositor for use with Xfce amongst other desktops. Anything that directly supports wayland will still be able to take full advantage of that.
                    From what I've read and heard XFCE developers are not keen to implement Wayland support not because Wayland is not stable, it's because it entails an insane mind boggling amount of work. Not only they will have to basically create a new compositor because the majority of of the code in xfwm4 is Xorg/X11 specific, they will also have to rewrite/update various XFCE components because they also are very Xorg specific, i.e. panels or even the XFCE settings application which uses some X11 features not present in Wayland in any shape or form.

Talking about "freedom' in Open Source: Wayland was seemingly created exclusively for Gnome by Gnome devs and nothing can change my mind about that.

And this is how Gnome/Wayland developers treat your comments in Wayland's bug tracker:

Artem S. Tashkinov @birdie ยท 1 month ago

[removed irrelevant comment trying to carry on argument from closed & locked issue]
                    Last edited by birdie; 26 January 2022, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I've been using fedora wayland + firefox for about a year. Its buttery smooth on recent amd hardware (5- years old)

Comment

Working...
                      X