Firefox Nightly Begins Activating Wayland For Capable Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Firefox Wayland works well under GNOME (and even enables CSD by default).
    But on KDE it glitches... not sure whether this is still the case though.
    Yup, crashes here on KDE just when looking at it. I have forced enabled some things though, rendering everything in software is no fun.

Comment

Would love to test Firefox under Wayland with XFCE.

Oh, wait.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        But on KDE it glitches... not sure whether this is still the case though.
        Might have something to do with your hardware, I have been running firefox on KDE/wayland for around 8 months on two separate machines. The only problem I had was not being able to copy from firefox after detaching tabs on one of the machines but that went away months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          To be frank I've been using Firefox with Wayland for a long time now without issues. On my hardware configuration at least it has been working 100%.
          I've been using Firefox on Wayland for quite a bit on various different configurations:
          • Intel + kwin_wayland
          • Intel + mutter
          • AMD + mutter
          • AMD + sway/wlroots
          • Heck, even tried NVIDIA + mutter
          To my experience, it works smoother than on X11 and I didn't encounter any significant issues apart from maximized window glitching when moved to a different screen (i.e when removing screen that with the window), which happens on X11 when EGL renderer is enabled. In any case, restoring a window and maximizing it again works around the problem. I use Firefox 99% of the time, rarely going to other browsers. I wondered why it's still not default.
          Last edited by bple2137; 25 January 2022, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mystiquewolf View Post

+1 For enabling Qt file picker
            To me the issue isn't because the Gtk file picker looks ugly but because folders aren't even sorted out before regular files! Firefox probably takes care of it by default but I used other apps that have this and boy is it confusing and annoying.

Not to mention the Gtk file picker feels like it was developed by aliens from Mars, not real people.

Comment

Originally posted by osw89 View Post
              Might have something to do with your hardware, I have been running firefox on KDE/wayland for around 8 months on two separate machines. The only problem I had was not being able to copy from firefox after detaching tabs on one of the machines but that went away months ago.
              Doesn't tilde run 3 or 4 year old drivers? I'm not surprised they wouldn't completely work with apps using advanced wayland apis.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Oh, wait.
                That sounds like a "you" problem, buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mystiquewolf View Post

+1 For enabling Qt file picker
                  As a workaround for it not being default, you can export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1. That's what I was doing before I switched to the Flatpak'd version as part of moving as many apps as possible into sandboxes, then narrowing down the permissions to just what I need in my use-cases.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  To me the issue isn't because the Gtk file picker looks ugly but because folders aren't even sorted out before regular files! Firefox probably takes care of it by default but I used other apps that have this and boy is it confusing and annoying.
                  There's supposed to be a checkbox for that in the context menu. Do they still have that bug that makes it get all confused about what the checkbox's state is supposed to be if you happen to access the GTK Open/Save dialogs from the wrong combination of applications?

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Not to mention the Gtk file picker feels like it was developed by aliens from Mars, not real people.
                  No argument there. I use the KDE file picker via GTK_USE_PORTAL where possible, if for no other reason than KDE follows the convention set by literally everyone except GNOME in allowing you to rename and delete files from inside the Open/Save dialogs.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Oh, wait.
                    I would love to test Firefox on a ZX Spectrum running OS/2. Whaaaaa whaaaaa they're evil, they won't support that. Must be a Red Hat conspiracy.

Comment

Works very well on nvidia too

Comment

Working...
                      X