Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Aiming For GNOME 42, Avoiding GTK4 Where Possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

iblocking in linux? nosense, if i want close i go to mac, where we cant change a thing, open is about change what we want.
    Also, you need a decent theme to do that. Adwaita is anything but decent, and that's why so many want to theme it in the first place.

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

As you can see I had put the smiley face, it was ironic.
    Damn! I took the bait. Or I indulged.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow
      Really, the Gnome developers should just permanently block theming and be done with it.

I want to see a unified and consistent graphical desktop environment across all distributions. Gnome 4x and libadwaita is the closest to that milestone.
      You’re not using every distribution, just one of them. I can’t stand the ugly default gnome theme. You can use it if you like, but I want to use something else.

Comment

kthxbye Ubuntu, I know Fedora will get it right at least.

Comment

Interesting, Sebastien Bacher also says they plan to use Linux Kernel 5.15 for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. He's saying it here in a comment under his article: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubunt...g-lts/26156/13
          Last edited by dc_coder_84; 13 January 2022, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dc_coder_84 View Post
            Interesting, Sebastien Bacher says they plan to use Linux Kernel 5.15 for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. He's saying it here in a comment under his article: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubunt...g-lts/26156/13
            Well, this was pretty much to be expected, since Linux 5.15 is a LTS release, too.

Still, I blame Greg-KH, because he could have made an exception for 5.16 released just last week, thus missing the end-of-year deadline by a few days only...

Kinda sad because of the missing FUTEX2 support in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

Comment

They should get rid of the Snap crap first!
              Tired of having to uninstall that garbage on every install.
              I can't stand the hijacking of sudo apt-get install and the forced upgrades!
              It's my computer, not Canonical's!

Comment

Hey peeps, I finally added a readme to my Ubuntu kernel build script if anyone is interested. Not gonna spam it, but see profile if interested. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Really, the Gnome developers should just permanently block theming and be done with it.

I want to see a unified and consistent graphical desktop environment across all distributions. Gnome 4x and libadwaita is the closest to that milestone.

macOS has never allowed theming, and I really hope Microsoft will follow suit in updated versions of Windows 11 and future versions of Windows.
                  That's a very strange demand. What harm is theming doing you that you want it completely blocked?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I hope not. I prefer to make the desktop look like how I want it to.

And funny how you mention other OS's, but macOS is about the only OS where theming is not possible. Windows, Linux, Haiku, AmigaOS (both the old 3.x as well as the current 4.1), BSD, Chrome OS… they all support theming one way or another.
                    Wait, is AmigaOS still a thing?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                      Wait, is AmigaOS still a thing?
                      Yup, version 3.2.1 was released a few weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X