Libadwaita 1.0 Released For Kicking Off A New Year Of GNOME App Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitor View Post

There are still going to be ways for users to override the Adwaita theme at run time—you can set the GTK_THEME environment variable or edit ~/.config/gtk-4.0/gtk.css. However, it'll be explicitly unsupported and application developers will probably close bug reports of visual glitches when you override the theme this way.

In the past, developers had to deal with bugs caused by distro and popular user themes, which made it harder for them to implement custom widgets. They could not declare support for a finite set of themes as many distros chose a theme for their users and users could use GNOME Tweaks to set a custom theme. Libadwaita will provide developers a stable set of themes to build their applications on.
    Yeah. Replace packaging and compiling with theming-related verbs and its the same. If you're not an elite power user/developer willing to accept "if it breaks, you get to fix it" terms for deviating even an inch from our vision of what the desktop should be, then GTFO.

Comment

So much talk and the entire linux universe does not have any UI framework that survives fractional scaling or integrating programs written with non-native frameworks, say java, or whatever.

This just takes Gnome one step closer towards a more dependable UI. This is only welcome in my books.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        ...We developers should be elite gatekeepers over everyone who doesn’t know how to compile software from source
        The difference between the elite and a Fedora/Ubuntu lover is that one of them is willing to use a duckduckgo search.

...Oh, you're a user who can't compile things and wants a program too young to have a distro package? Learn to compile or [stop your swearing].
        One line to configure mesa, one line to compile, and one line to rule them all:

Code:
        mkdir -p /tmp/mesa/elitetyper ; cd /tmp/mesa/elitetyper
        meson setup --prefix=/tmp/mesa/elitetyper ..
        ninja
        DESTDIR=/tmp/elite ninja install
        Now everyone who read this knows how to compile.

Comment

Yeah. Replace packaging and compiling with theming-related verbs and its the same. If you're not an elite power user/developer willing to accept "if it breaks, you get to fix it" terms for deviating even an inch from our vision of what the desktop should be, then GTFO.
          It's clearly not. You originally compared the theming situation to "We developers should be elite gatekeepers over everyone who doesn’t know how to compile software from source", and I showed that you don't need to re-compile applications to change how they look.

Application developers can support custom themes if they want to, but libadwaita gives them a choice not to do so. What you're effectively asking for is that GNOME application developers should be forced to support every possible GTK theme out there, which discourages developers from choosing to develop for GNOME.

The people wanting this as a feature should be either prepared to step up and implement and maintain it themselves or fund the development and maintenance by hiring full time developers. Sitting on the sidelines and demanding that developers work for you is not realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by 2A4U View Post

The difference between the elite and a Fedora/Ubuntu lover is that one of them is willing to use a duckduckgo search.

One line to configure mesa, one line to compile, and one line to rule them all:

Code:
            mkdir -p /tmp/mesa/elitetyper ; cd /tmp/mesa/elitetyper
            meson setup --prefix=/tmp/mesa/elitetyper ..
            ninja
            DESTDIR=/tmp/elite ninja install
            Now everyone who read this knows how to compile.
            Good luck trying to tell that to Average Joe.

He will ask:

1. Where do I put that? What do I do with it?
            2. Do I like click on it or something?
            3. Oh, what's a terminal? Where can I open that?
            4. Now what do I do? It looks scary.
            5. I feel I am getting a virus...
            6. Dependency not found? What is that? Is my computer malfunctioning?
            7. This is too hard for me; can I go back to Windows please?

Comment

Originally posted by grung View Post
              For instance I like to use Eclipse, unfortunately on Linux it is unusable with default theme and I can't find theme which makes it look good. I would like to have a theme created by developers which is compact and I would love to use it instad of trying to make good look myself.
              It is very sad that Eclipse on Windows looks much better and is more usable than on Linux. I hope that this will get sorted one day...
              Not a GTK app.

Comment

Happew year everyone. Please keep the good job of making FUD on stuff we don't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by whitor View Post
                  Application developers can support custom themes if they want to, but libadwaita gives them a choice not to do so. What you're effectively asking for is that GNOME application developers should be forced to support every possible GTK theme out there, which discourages developers from choosing to develop for GNOME.

The people wanting this as a feature should be either prepared to step up and implement and maintain it themselves or fund the development and maintenance by hiring full time developers. Sitting on the sidelines and demanding that developers work for you is not realistic.
                  ...or, we could just recognize that GTK stopped being anything but "the toolkit for GNOME's weird/non-standard take on desktop look and feel" with the 3.x line, and that its developer documentation sucks and the IRC/etc. support has bad attitude and switch over to Qt, like the LXDE devs and the Audacious Media Player devs and the Subsurface devs and so on.

GNOME has always had an authoritarian bent, with their "This should be impossible because it might confuse grandma to have it accessible by default" design and their cargo cult copying of superficial macOS design elements without understanding the principles they're supposed to be optimizing for. This has just accelerated that. (I haven't been around since the beginning, but it was already in full swing back when I came in during the 2.x era.)
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 31 December 2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    Not a GTK app.
                    Eclipse originated the SWT widget toolkit. SWT's big advantage over Swing on Linux is wxWidgets-like support for delegating to GTK for drawing.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Good luck trying to tell that to Average Joe.

He will ask:

1. Where do I put that? What do I do with it?
                      2. Do I like click on it or something?
                      3. Oh, what's a terminal? Where can I open that?
                      4. Now what do I do? It looks scary.
                      5. I feel I am getting a virus...
                      6. Dependency not found? What is that? Is my computer malfunctioning?
                      7. This is too hard for me; can I go back to Windows please?
                      Just today I've messed with cmake, make, and java (converting some AUR packages to git versions). I suppose those instructions work if one is building a Ninja project, but if you're working with a different project...

Number 7 makes me laugh due to the fun I just got done having on Windows. So I got a camera for Christmas with a 512GB SD card. Long story short, none of the CHDK tools work with larger than a 256GB SD card and what should have been as simple as clicky, click, click on Windows ended up rebooting into Linux to mkfs and dd.

Pop Tart in IR Chrome

Pop Tart in IR 590nm

Just realized something -- I need to fix my light
                      Last edited by skeevy420; 31 December 2021, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X