KDE Continues Improving Its Scanner Application, Fixing Plasma Wayland Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Continues Improving Its Scanner Application, Fixing Plasma Wayland Bugs

Phoronix: KDE Continues Improving Its Scanner Application, Fixing Plasma Wayland Bugs

KDE developers began November working on yet more Plasma Wayland session fixes and other enhancements to their open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's awesome they are improving the scanner app but until you can scan to PDF like every other app ever made I don't think it's gonna be taken seriously

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
      It's awesome they are improving the scanner app but until you can scan to PDF like every other app ever made I don't think it's gonna be taken seriously
      Skanpage does that. That program is going to substitute Skanlite.
      Last edited by Nth_man; 06 November 2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

About the "batch mode option for scanners with an automatic document feeder" that Phoronix says it's a new thing, that's not true, it's "without an automatic document feeder". Please see the original page.

The original page also comes without words like "aribtrary" and it has the "sometimes" word that Phoronix removed, because that "hovering over the digital clock applet [...] hang Plasma" only happened on some cases.
        Last edited by Nth_man; 06 November 2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

bugs.kde.org has been seeing a new KDE bug reporting page and other UI improvements
          No actual improvements there, you still have to figure out that neverending list of components. Last I tried, I wasn't even able to find my own bugs. It was easier to search for them in the email and use the links in there.
          Last edited by bug77; 06 November 2021, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            No actual improvements there, you still have to figure out that neverending list of components. Last I tried, I wasn't even able to find my own bugs. I was easier to search for them in the email and use the links in there.
            I don't understand why they still haven't moved the bugtracker over to Gitlab (invent.kde.org), just like freedesktop.org has two years ago. That would make finding and linking bugs so much easier. Also linking code or pull requests. Commit messages could also automatically reference the bugs/issues as links, which are currently just bugzilla IDs as text which you then have to enter manually on their external bugtracker. Bugzilla also doesn't support markdown. Such a mess.

Comment

The Wayland shell crash fix is most welcome, it was my number 1 hated issue.

I've switched to Wayland on my crappy Gemini Lake system. Some of the most annoying things left:
              -shell usually doesn't show battery life or network speed widget activity unless restarted with plasmashell --replace after log-in
              -colord doesn't start automatically on log-in, I need to manually open color correction KCM or start colord unit via systemd to apply gamma ramps
              -cursor indicator theme gets stuck after some drag & drop or perhaps also resize operations

Power consumption of Chromium Ozone Wayland vsynctester.com is better vs. Windows by at least 0.5W, at least when using conservative CPU clock governor. So KWin is really, really good already (though I have to lower input lag reduction).
              Firefox regressed with 94 (also on Windows), so hard to tell situation with it in comparison. IGP solely sucks more than 6W then, whereas total SoC TDP already is 6W...

Comment

Originally posted by archola View Post

I don't understand why they still haven't moved the bugtracker over to Gitlab (invent.kde.org)
                Nate wrote that Gitlab still can not do some things that Bugzilla can do.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  -colord doesn't start automatically on log-in, I need to manually open color correction KCM or start colord unit via systemd to apply gamma ramps
                  AFAIK, monitor calibration doesn't work on KDE Wayland session. Or are you referring to X session?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                    AFAIK, monitor calibration doesn't work on KDE Wayland session. Or are you referring to X session?
                    It does work on Wayland since afair 5.22. It's just a bit bugged when it comes to starting colord. It's also compatible with e.g. night light, so they don't override themselves anymore.
                    Though it's just 1D LUT (GPU gamma ramps), 3D LUT (gamut mapping) protocol for Wayland still isn't finished.

Comment

Working...
                    X