Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 94.0 Released With Linux Build Using EGL For Better Performance, Power Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those want to check to see if EGL is enabled:
    Code:
    about:support
    X11_EGL = available by default
    if it has "disabled" under available by default, it means you do have support for it, buts its forced disabled. if you have no disabled at all, then its enabled.
    you can force enable it via
    Code:
    about:config
    gfx.x11-egl.force-enabled
    and if you want to know if you have webrender enabled:
    Code:
    about:support
    Compositing = WebRender
    Last edited by middy; 03 November 2021, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Good browsers, but lagging behind some.
      I don't really see behind which browser it would be lagging. The only decent browsers left these days are Firefox, Edge and Brave from what I read (not using Brave myself).

On Firefox mobile, I miss pull-to-refresh.
      Absolutely. It's become a generally accepted best practice to refresh and I'm often doing it to no avail in Firefox on Android, out of habit.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

It Waylands at least as well as 93 did, meaning it works mostly but there are still bugs in things like tearing tabs off of one window and recombining separate windows to be tabbed in a single window.
        I didn't link both things but indeed grabbing and dropping tabs out of a window has been acting up for a little while.
        Could absolutely match the timing of me switching to wayland on the device I browse the most with.
        Last edited by Mez'; 03 November 2021, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          I don't really see behind which browser it would be lagging. The only decent browsers left these days are Firefox, Edge and Brave from what I read (not using Brave myself).

Absolutely. It's become a generally accepted best practice to refresh and I'm often doing it to no avail in Firefox on Android, out of habit.
          It lacks in features and support for web standards. Just take a look at caniuse.com and other feature comparison websites.
          No support for HTML dialog element, no support for PWA on desktop, no password reveal button, no search clear button, datalist only works on input type="text", max attribute on input date works poorly, slow WebGL performance, etc. Lots of features and standards that are not supported or only partially supported.

I like Firefox, it is my primary web browser, but it is lagging behind. Edge is really nice.

Comment

It lacks in features and support for web standards. Just take a look at caniuse.com and other feature comparison websites.
            No support for HTML dialog element, no support for PWA on desktop, no password reveal button, no search clear button, datalist only works on input type="text", max attribute on input date works poorly, slow WebGL performance, etc. Lots of features and standards that are not supported or only partially supported.

I like Firefox, it is my primary web browser, but it is lagging behind. Edge is really nice.
            None of these affect me, so I wasn't aware. It's always interesting to see what other people base their appreciation on to broaden your own vision.
            It would be nice to have a clear search button indeed.

What is important to me is featured (theme integration - top bar integration included, favorite button - not bar, CSS to put tabs back at bottom where they feel more natural, buttons customization, a compact tab bar, hardware acceleration on X and on wayland, ...).
            My only gripe is that Firefox Mobile doesn't handle comment sections or forums very well (whether they're Facebook, Disqus or vBulletin powered). But then again, Chrome on Android manages to be so much worse in that regard that it makes me relativize.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              None of these affect me, so I wasn't aware. It's always interesting to see what other people base their appreciation on to broaden your own vision.
              It would be nice to have a clear search button indeed.

What is important to me is featured (theme integration - top bar integration included, favorite button - not bar, CSS to put tabs back at bottom where they feel more natural, buttons customization, a compact tab bar, hardware acceleration on X and on wayland, ...).
              My only gripe is that Firefox Mobile doesn't handle comment sections or forums very well (whether they're Facebook, Disqus or vBulletin powered). But then again, Chrome on Android manages to be so much worse in that regard that it makes me relativize.
              Some of the things you don't realize if you only use Firefox, because hey the web still mostly works. But if you use Firefox then try Edge, then you realize how polished Edge is.

Example you type a password in Firefox, you cannot reveal it if you felt, "hey I think I typed it wrong", in Edge its so easy, just click the password reveal toggle.
              As a web developer you're making a PWA app, you can test that in Edge, but in Firefox you cannot, because there is no PWA support.

A website has input type=date, and you begin to type and want enter 2021-11-03, but year accepts 5 digits, not 4 so it becomes 20211-10-3, not what you wanted, so you use the max attribute and set it to max="9999-12-31", Chrome and Edge handles this great, but not Firefox.

You type in a input, and now you get presented with previously entered values, and you want to delete a previous value from the history? In Edge, you get a button next to each entry to delete it, not in Firefox.

Comment

You type in a input, and now you get presented with previously entered values, and you want to delete a previous value from the history? In Edge, you get a button next to each entry to delete it, not in Firefox.
                In Firefox, the Delete key removes the selected item from the history.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

In Firefox, the Delete key removes the selected item from the history.
                  Yes, I know, but in Edge it is much more user-friendly, the UI presents you with a button to delete. Edge is very user-friendly and polished, it feels very refined.

Comment

I gained ~10% performance by enabling EGL in this benchmark.

Comment

It lacks in features and support for web standards.
                      s/"web standards"/"random shit Google pushed into Chrome for user harm"/g

Your points re some minot but Genuinely Useful things are valid, but garbage like PWA is very much not one of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X