Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 94.0 Released With Linux Build Using EGL For Better Performance, Power Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by babali View Post
    Does it wayland?
    It Waylands at least as well as 93 did, meaning it works mostly but there are still bugs in things like tearing tabs off of one window and recombining separate windows to be tabbed in a single window.

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
      Does it wayland?
      Not by default but I've been running it on wayland for a few versions now with no problems

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not very well, ime. I have to give it another shot post-495, but the entire Plasma became unresponsive after I updated. Waiting for someone to fix something...
        Ah, that's too bad. I guess the KDE-related bugs still need to be ironed out on/for Firefox.

I've been using it on Wayland for months (or years perhaps? I can't quite remember) on GNOME with great success.

(Please don't take this as a KDE-GNOME war, that's now what I'm going for)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          On Firefox mobile, I miss pull-to-refresh.
          Nightly for mobile apparently has it. But I can understand why it's not in the stable version: It struggles to distinguish upscroll from refresh. Unlike Chrome, it doesn't simply take scrolling above the top of the page as a refresh, but you can refresh from any srolling position. Which gets in the way: If you don't want to accidentally refresh, you have to pretend you are scrolling down before switching direction.
          Last edited by andreano; 02 November 2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Does EGL mean VAAPI even on X11 now?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Ah, that's too bad. I guess the KDE-related bugs still need to be ironed out on/for Firefox.

I've been using it on Wayland for months (or years perhaps? I can't quite remember) on GNOME with great success.

(Please don't take this as a KDE-GNOME war, that's now what I'm going for)
              What can I say, Plasma itself was unusable for me up until 5.23. So Firefox's focus on Gnome up until now was at least partly justified. Eagerly awaiting for the next steps, because I still rate FF my #1 browser.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                Does EGL mean VAAPI even on X11 now?
                It's a requirement, but still disabled by default and VP9 decoding in RDD process still isn't a thing (somebody linked to a bug with the Intel driver).

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

It Waylands at least as well as 93 did, meaning it works mostly but there are still bugs in things like tearing tabs off of one window and recombining separate windows to be tabbed in a single window.
                  Strange. I'm running 94a on my laptop under GNOME/Wayland, and that works fine. Is it a regression with the release version?

Firefox has on the whole been working well with Wayland for a few releases. 93 did have a regression displaying menus under non-GNOME compositors which required patching, I hit it running Sway. There has been significant performance work with Wayland support for WebRender direct composition in the last couple of versions, still a few bugs remain in that area but are being quickly worked out. It's also resulted in fixes and improvements to Wayland compositors themselves, at least GNOME and wlroots saw improvements as a result of Firefox implementing otherwise untested functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Good browsers, but lagging behind some.

Things I miss is:
                    On Firefox mobile, I miss pull-to-refresh.
                    This is enabled on the Mobile Nightly. Just use that, I have got zilch problems.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                      It's a requirement, but still disabled by default and VP9 decoding in RDD process still isn't a thing (somebody linked to a bug with the Intel driver).
                      It's working fine for me when enabled in 94 on my iGPU. I'm using the download from Mozilla's site with the auto-updater (maybe it's different in the Flatpak or Snap, I don't know).

Comment

Working...
                      X