Firefox 94 To Start Using EGL On Linux - Better Performance, Lower Power Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SofS View Post
    Is WebGPU a good idea for normal users? I myself disable even WebAssembly and WebGL support.
    Aka we’re all relying on Michael for the good stuff

When you say normal users, who do you mean? I would frame it as notebook / desktop users. On my old notebook with integrated Nvidia card, likely not. My desktop with an AMD RX480? Absolutely

Comment

We (normal home users) use Firefox here on all the desktops and laptops. All are running KUbuntu 20.04 LTS. I just don't see any 'speed' issues. It just snaps up after boot of the system and quickly does what we want it to do. No complaints here about performance over the years. I've never seen a reason to use another browser.. Even way back when we had a Windoze box around.

Comment

There are one thing that pisses me off a lot in FF ESR..
        well several things..
        First.. when I launch the FF, it without requesting, launch massive DNS queries to my dns cache server.. I am on LTE 4G network, you are wasting my traffic account!!
        All pinned sites you have in Top Sites, are automatically DNs resolved, even without opening anything.. this is wild!!

also I don't really know why,from time to time, it resolves, at least this sites:
        "mozilla.cloudflare-dns.com",
        "push.services.mozilla.com",
        "firefox.settings.services.mozilla.com",
        "mozilla.org",
        "normandy.cdn.mozilla.net",
        "classify-client.services.mozilla.com",
        "content-signature-2.cdn.mozilla.net",
        "shavar.services.mozilla.com"

jesus, I am navigating supposedly?? in private browsing mode, I don't even have a user account in Mozilla..!
        Why don't this guys leave me alone..!?
        Because I am just using the browser and I don't want my browser to secretly do things "under the hood", probably not good things..and also using bandwidth that I have to paid monthly.. its wild..!!

I have being monitoring my browser for a week now..seems that I do need to deny some sites to FF...
        If it does this, it means it needs this sites to do something am I right...?

Does anyone knows what's going on..?
        I would love to hear from you, I am on debian 11 FF ESR..many thanks.
        regards,

Comment

Originally posted by SofS View Post
          Is WebGPU a good idea for normal users? I myself disable even WebAssembly and WebGL support.
          Why would anyone disable WebAssembly?

WebGPU is just next-gen WebGL, so if you disable that you'll probably want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            I have /home mounted on an HDD and / mounted on an SSD, and all the browsers start slowly because they have to read their user config off the HDD.
            put ~/.config and ~/.cache on ssd

Comment

I'd like to see Firefox (Webrender more specifically) start using WSI / Vulkan instead.

Comment

If you go through the bug for NVidia EGL support, you'll see that they're looking at backporting the fix to the 470 series as well as putting it in the 495 series.

Comment

Michael The 470.82 nvidia driver also has the EGL_NV_robustness_video_memory_purge extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

It's a Firefox bug, it's why it's on their bug tracker.
                    If it were on KDE bug tracker it would've been fixed already.
                    KDE developers don't have the experience Mozilla developers have with Firefox.
                    Plus te bug comes from trying to fix another Mozilla screw up, detecting the default file manager and use that instead of hardcoding Gnome file manager.
                    Ok, just live with bugs then. I won't lecture you about open-source stuff, i believe you know it well. But I'll tell you this, point a fingger at each other won't get anything done here...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Why not ?
                      There could be lots of reasons.
                      Maybe the integrated GPU is too weak, it doesn't support a recent enough OpenGL version or Vulkan version.
                      I think Vulkan has recently added video decoding extensions
                      Or maybe for video / audio hardware acceleration, like 4K 10bit HDR video and 5.1 audio.
                      If you use a TV as monitor and the HDMI cable from the dedicated GPU goes through an audio receiver, I think it's more efficient that the GPU that does the hardware decoding is also the one that routes audio out through its HDMI port.
                      Running an intensive game in the browser probably needs this too.
                      I think you missed the point: it's a laptop use case

Comment

Working...
                      X