Flatpak 1.12 Released - Better Sub-Sandbox Handling To Benefit Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    Gonna see if I can manually update this sucker on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS without breaking the system.
    They provide an official PPA and instructions for it on Flathub. I'm on 20.04 LTS and running 1.11.2 without issue aside from the PPA not updating my KDE Plasma portal host to a version where the Open/Save chooser supports directory pickers.

(The PPA only has updates for the GNOME/GTK portal host.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

They provide an official PPA and instructions for it on Flathub. I'm on 20.04 LTS and running 1.11.2 without issue aside from the PPA not updating my KDE Plasma portal host to a version where the Open/Save chooser supports directory pickers.

Of course - why didn't I think of that. Appreciate the heads up. Gonna check it out đź‘Ť

Awesome suggestion: Here it is for those on Ubuntu LTS: https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu/
      Last edited by perpetually high; 08 October 2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Call in sick.

Code:
        $ flatpak --version
        Flatpak 1.6.5
        *cries in old version*

Gonna see if I can manually update this sucker on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS without breaking the system.
        Im on 20.04 and i have
        magnus@desktop:~$ flatpak --version
        Flatpak 1.10.2

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
          First page and people are already off-topic.

I love this forum
          Yeah, sorry about that. I know I shouldn't poke people like that, but I was in such a good mood, and I LOVE watching people go supernova sometimes. Again, my apologizes.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

So a PPA to install a package for accessing the Flathub package archives… Wouldn't it make more sense to push the new Flatpak version through Flathub (even if only as a manual update to not force people into updating)?

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

Im on 20.04 and i have
              magnus@desktop:~$ flatpak --version
              Flatpak 1.10.2
              Then you have updated manually somehow as the latest version in the Ubuntu archives really is 1.6.5: https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal-updates/flatpak

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high

You were not "just saying." Came at me with some bullshit. And I also reported yours also for instigating.

I'm allowed to post whatever I want. You are *not* allowed to attack my posts to begin with.

Try way harder next time. I'm way better than you and I type way faster than you. Literally better at everything in life than you. Keep it coming.
                This calls for a CSS danceoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So a PPA to install a package for accessing the Flathub package archives… Wouldn't it make more sense to push the new Flatpak version through Flathub (even if only as a manual update to not force people into updating)?
                  Flatpak is a sandbox package format. Its packages are supposed to be run inside sandbox. Sandbox can't stand by itself. When a package format can stand by itself, it touches bare metal, which is by definition not in sandbox.

Comment

Will the steam flatpak need to do something to support the new steam-friendly feature or should it work automatically?

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                      Will the steam flatpak need to do something to support the new steam-friendly feature or should it work automatically?
                      The Steam Flatpak already has the necessary flags, so it should just be a case of: install a 1.11.x+ Flatpak version, restart system or flatpak-portal service, start Steam, play games.

When you run a game you'll see something like this in the output (requires running Steam from a console) - and it'll also run, which in itself is a good indicator;
                      pressure-vessel-wrap[13356]: W: Using experimental Flatpak sub-sandboxing (requires Flatpak 1.11.x commit 1.10.1-80-gcb47d83b or later)

Comment

Working...
                      X