Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 Released - Increased Font Size In Help, Other Mundane Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Apache should never surrender the trademarks to TDF ever.

LO already stole the sidebar from OO but OO cannot take anything from LO because the TDF specially used a license that is incompatible with the Apache license.

The final thing TDF wants is to steal the OO trademarks. Apache should be smart and not let them do so.
    The sidebar from OO? You mean from IBM, when they introduced it in Lotus Symphony before they handed over the code to OOo?

Comment

this project is dead, insecure and lake features, no ideia why they don't put a link to libreoffice

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

The sidebar from OO? You mean from IBM, when they introduced it in Lotus Symphony before they handed over the code to OOo?
        Yes, that sidebar that IBM created for Lotus Symphony and gifted it to OO.

Really missed Symphony. The ability to open multiple files in tabs instead of their own application windows is a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I read it. The guy really had no intention of getting out of Apache's umbrella, preferring to ask the LibreOffice folks to merge the projects. That makes no sense, because the motive of the fork was the original maintainers were holding back OO advancements, refusing merging of new code. Merging now would imply handling over all the hard work of TDF folks did by themselves to the Apache Foundation and discarding the old OO, because it is too ancient to reuse anything.

So he is content to just sit there and watch the code rot, rather than helping people still stuck with OO to suffer with all its bugs. They could be the "better man" and think of the users, but no, pride is more important. **** those pricks.
          That too, plus LO has drifted so far from OO now, I'm not even sure the code can be merged in the first place. It'd be like fitting the interior and engine of a Fiat 500 2021 in a Fiat Seicento 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Symphony itself was partially based on OOo 3. So we can consider it a branch.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Symphony itself was partially based on OOo 3. So we can consider it a branch.
              I just meant that IBM introduced that sidebar, not OO. Doesn't matter if it was a branch or not.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                The day that AOO dies is the day that TDF focuses solely on it's cloud partners.

In other words, AOO keeps LO honest
                TDF doesn't care about AOO - if the project died today, literally nothing would change for TDF. I really want to know what kind of "power" you think AOO has over TDF, because that would be a hilarious read.

Also TDF has no "cloud partners" so on what do you think TDF will focus instead? All the TDF tenders are only focusing on desktop LibreOffice, supporting infrastructure or ODF format.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Meh, this just stupid and I think it harms the reputation of the Apache Software Foundation.
                  So the ASF is the graveyard for abandoned software.

I think they should just cease with OpenOffice, and maybe handover the trademark to the The Document Foundation.
                  Without my likes, GNOME will win, compatibility will die, the X/W sv/sd PA/PW I/N/A stable/unstable wars will never stop, progress will not be made, Firefox will be better than Chromium even though it uses more memory, begging becomes acceptable and the current practice, KDE will be shit, SuperTuxKart will get 1-star reviews due to its "shit graphics".
                  I am haunted. Everywhere I go, 313. The time? 3:13am, 3:13pm. The street? 313. Some random username suffix? 313. The version number? 313. The time in where stuff happens in videos? 3:13. The calorie count on a product? 313.

I agree with you but I can't like...... Apache Software Foundation sure is dead. With Apache2 and Maven having millions of actual users.
                  Yes, I am aware this OpenOffice thing is a theater act, but still.
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 02 November 2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post
                    literally nothing would change for TDF. I really want to know what kind of "power" you think AOO has over TDF
                    Any productivity suite offers competition. AOO is no different. AOO and LO even put some pressure on MS Office for a number of "open" formats.

Originally posted by quikee View Post
                    Also TDF has no "cloud partners" so on what do you think TDF will focus instead?
                    Entdecken Sie die open source online Office Suite für Unternehmen und Verwaltungen, die Zusammenarbeit bei Sicherheit und Datenschutz ermöglicht.

You can even "Try an online demo". Knock your cloud socks off
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 07 October 2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                      I think it's cruel to keep software in a persistent vegetative state, just do the decent thing and let it die with dignity.
                      I am not sure that OO is in a vegetative state. Looking at the download number [1], it seems that even now OO is downloaded about 35.000-55.000 times per day.
                      Instead LO 7, was downloaded [2] 422000 times in a week = ~60.000 times per day.

The point is that despite LO is far better than OO, the downloads counts are comparable.

[1] https://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html
                      [2] https://blog.documentfoundation.org/...week-in-stats/

Comment

Working...
                      X