Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 Released - Increased Font Size In Help, Other Mundane Changes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 Released - Increased Font Size In Help, Other Mundane Changes

    Phoronix: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 Released - Increased Font Size In Help, Other Mundane Changes

    The Apache Software Foundation today announced the release of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 as their 14th release while stewarding this open-source office suite...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...nOffice-4.1.11

  • #2
    Is it april fool day and I didn't notice?

    Comment


    • #3
      Frankly though Apache OpenOffice remains an embarrassment and should have been sunset by now and so the ASF can focus their finite resources on the many other interesting and worthwhile projects under their umbrella.
      Well said, Michael!

      I wonder who these governments are that still rely on OpenOffice?
      [...], and is the productivity suite of choice for governments seeking to meet mandates for using ISO/IEC standard Open Document Format (ODF) files.

      Comment


      • #4
        Meh, this just stupid and I think it harms the reputation of the Apache Software Foundation.
        So the ASF is the graveyard for abandoned software.

        I think they should just cease with OpenOffice, and maybe handover the trademark to the The Document Foundation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Apache should never surrender the trademarks to TDF ever.

          LO already stole the sidebar from OO but OO cannot take anything from LO because the TDF specially used a license that is incompatible with the Apache license.

          The final thing TDF wants is to steal the OO trademarks. Apache should be smart and not let them do so.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            Apache should never surrender the trademarks to TDF ever.

            LO already stole the sidebar from OO but OO cannot take anything from LO because the TDF specially used a license that is incompatible with the Apache license.

            The final thing TDF wants is to steal the OO trademarks. Apache should be smart and not let them do so.
            There's no such thing as 'stealing' in open source software

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

              There's no such thing as 'stealing' in open source software
              When one party is allowed to take all they want while the other party cannot because of license restrictions, it's stealing plain and simple.

              Good thing they can't steal the OO name because that is protected by enforceable trademarks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

                When one party is allowed to take all they want while the other party cannot because of license restrictions, it's stealing plain and simple.

                Good thing they can't steal the OO name because that is protected by enforceable trademarks.
                A public license is quite literally a pre-emptive grant of permission. Anyone who contributes to AOO under that license is choosing to grant permission for their contribution to be used that way.

                Since AOO is under a license that's compatible with copyleft licenses, Apache is perfectly free to switch to something copyleft but LGPL-incompatible if that's what they want.

                You're essentially complaining that an organization which specifically crafted a license saying "We grant people permission to take our stuff and use it as long as they give us credit" is being wronged by people who exercise permissions, the granting of which is their most recognizable trait.
                Last edited by ssokolow; 07 October 2021, 07:10 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Apache should never surrender the trademarks to TDF ever.

                  LO already stole the sidebar from OO but OO cannot take anything from LO because the TDF specially used a license that is incompatible with the Apache license.

                  The final thing TDF wants is to steal the OO trademarks. Apache should be smart and not let them do so.

                  Do you still use https://www.xfree86.org ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Looking at the response from OpenOffice maintainer found in the comments here:

                    https://blog.documentfoundation.org/...he-openoffice/

                    This project isn't going to die ever.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X