GNOME 41 Released With Wayland Improvements, More Performance Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    And it remains a clone of Android/MacOS and not a real desktop.

A mobile user interface like GNOME is not suitable for desktop users...

I'll stick with cinnamon, thank you very much.
    If GNOME we’re a clone of MacOS then it might actually be usable…

Comment

Way to go for a trailer.
      An error message due to missing hardware and, uh... Firefox? Which is worth including because it sort of respects Adwaita's colors, I guess?

Comment

And that gentlemen, is what makes gnome sad... you need many extensions to make it usable...

an extension to add icons to the "desktop" that is not a desktop.... sad... just sad...
        No, I can understand that having icons on the desktop might be considered a legacy metaphor times past and that old people like me who are reluctant to change still want icons on their desktop, but we can use an extension for that so I don't really mind that GNOME doesn't have desktop icons by default because I can still just install the extension so in the end it really doesn't matter.

Ideally I should just stop being an oldhead who grasps on to my desktop icons and learn to live without them, it's probably much nicer without them once you get used to it. Now that I think of it, I already have most of my desktop icons on the dash-to-panel anyways so I don't even know why I want icons on my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by veeableful View Post
          Can’t wait to try this when Fedora 35 comes out! The battery life management is something I especially look forward to with my ThinkPad lasting only 5 hours when compared to 20 hours of my Macbook Air.
          There is a utility called TLP, that used to give me more battery time. It tweaks some parameters on the OS to better suit laptops. Take a look to see if it is available on your distro.

Comment

I personally don't care about desktop icons. I don't see desktop normally at all. But having to jump to full screen dash and back to launch applications can be annoying. It is harder track what is launched or not.

Sure I can work with default GNOME, but why should I if at minimum a couple of extensions make my work a lot more productive. So I'm not exactly happy that GNOME break them every major and in some cases even minor updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

At first I thought it's ridicolous when they removed desktop icons, but it's really not, at least for me. There is always some window covering the icons, so you constantly shift windows around to reach your stuff. I strongly got into the feeling that desktop icons are albeit being a tradition also being a fundamentally flawed design...
              I agree and disagree at the same time. Desktop icons are pointless to me and I never use them no matter if it's GNOME, KDE Plasma, MacOS, Windows, whatever.
              However, not everyone is like me and some people use desktops this way, even though it makes not much sense (to me). I think it's not a good idea to take some features off when users repeatably say they miss them, just because you think it's not how they should use their computer.

That's pretty much the point with GNOME - the devs make the desktop for themselves and claim it's perfect, just users are stupid and should learn how to properly interact with the UI.
              Last edited by bple2137; 22 September 2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

an extension to add icons to the "desktop" that is not a desktop.... sad... just sad...
                A desktop that doesn't create a messy environment is no desktop, gotcha. First it's not that hard to activate it, if you are wrong and need to be a messy, I am sure there are ways gnome will support you even as alkoholic, but it's not default:

There you go, you seem to have the same mentality like the saying that if you don't know you have it and it's on your basement, it does not exist, so everything you don't see on your desktop is gone for good right?

And you don't need a extension anyway, neither gnome-tweak-tool or gnome-tweaks nor desktop-folders is a extension, it's just a normal package to install in your package manager. And the latter is not only for desktop icons so it's good idea to install it anyway.

I think there could be a study made if somebody would care, that it's objectively bad to have desktop icons, just because some 30 year old desktops or their successor did it, does not make it a good thing, but people choose familiar over good, like a women that stays with their abuser because she knows that behaviour because her dad maybe hit her, so she (or he doesn't matter) is comfortable with it, because she get's not nervous because she knows whats coming.

If you are correct that desktop icons is absolute good and lack of it absolute back, are then all people that use tiling wms stupid? And wrong? No they aren't just because a desktop puts not the most retarded users on their top priority list does not make it a bad option, I wish they would include more productivily features like solid buildin tiling support. There are like 500 Tiling WMs so demand is clearly there. Probably 99% of arch users use them... so it might have some point, and dividing developers in 100% different plattforms so that 99% of devs don't use gnome and 99% of daus use it or something similar without tiling is not a good idea, because I have therefor zero intentions to code for gnome, if I don't get paid and it's useless to me mostly, I will not participate, but that is the exact opposite critique and not gnome-exclusive.

If your brain fails without desktop icons, maybe linux is not the correct choice for you...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Ideally I should just stop being an oldhead who grasps on to my desktop icons and learn to live without them, it's probably much nicer without them once you get used to it. Now that I think of it, I already have most of my desktop icons on the dash-to-panel anyways so I don't even know why I want icons on my desktop.
                  Well under exwm (a tiling wm) I have a very intelligent more than just tab-completing but flex searching file opener, on gnome on my other machine that I use currently for gaming mostly, I just add the games I have to lutris then I don't have to navigate with nautilus to the folders, average users will probably use just steam for that, even on windows that is necessary because people would get mad with desktop icons for their 500 games.

For music you usually have some db music app also, the rest is much in the web, for office you probably can use the file opener dialog, what else photos also some db app, maybe kodi, maybe some tv option, maybe you have it in owncloud and watch it over android. And opening nautilus with favorites is still a ok option for the rare occasion. And as I said all the tiling wm users that don't use it can't all be stupid can they?

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

I agree and disagree at the same time. Desktop icons are pointless to me and I never use them no matter if it's GNOME, KDE Plasma, MacOS, Windows, whatever.
                    However, not everyone is like me and some people use desktops this way, even though it makes not much sense (to me). I think it's not a good idea to take some features off when users repeatably say they miss them, just because you think it's not how they should use their computer.

That's pretty much the point with GNOME - the devs make the desktop for themselves and claim it's perfect, just users are stupid and should learn how to properly interact with the UI.
                    This sounds so passive-agressive...

What is wrong with at least one open-source DE developing an independent UI design paradigm?
                    I get it, it is not for everybody but there are already enough Win95 copycats out there.
                    Gnome can try new things as far as I am concerned and tbh it works. Quite well actually.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      I have been using GNOME for decades with few breaks. Though to be fair, nowadays i am using Strawberry+Audacious for music and Smplayer for video. I just don't like the default gnome apps.
                      I can suggest mpv over smplayer less clunky design with similar features (youtube dropin would be my nr.1)

Comment

Working...
                      X