Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Maybe we should convince the Gnome people that extensions were a mistake
    what extensions do you need to launch browser and post your cries? i'm pretty sure extensions aren't really needed

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
      even Windows has handled this competently since at least 7 via Aero Peek, and older DEs have/had a tray/taskbar icon to hide and show all windows, making it utterly trivial to get to the desktop.
      same shit with gnome: press win and there you have all your icons. even searchable by typing one or two letters.
      I don't keep stuff on the desktop myself, but it's a perfectly sensible workflow to have, and this has been a solved problem for longer than I can remember. The fact that gnome chooses to not be capable of handling it is entirely on the gnome devs.
      i see the fact that you are unable to learn

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
        Theming and customisation are a core aspect of the Linux desktop
        if you don't have any real work to do. i suspect distros, rather than users, are more concerned with theming, especially various ubuntu reskins
        To all you Gnome apologists
        "featurex doesn't work in wayland because i tried it in kde"
        pal666
        Last edited by pal666; 22 September 2021, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

There is a utility called TLP, that used to give me more battery time. It tweaks some parameters on the OS to better suit laptops. Take a look to see if it is available on your distro.
          Thank you. It seems like there is an article for TLP on Fedora. I will try it out!

Comment

"Building an Alternative Ecosystem"
            solus tech
            September 14, 2021
            Joshua Strobl

https://joshuastrobl.com/2021/09/14/...ive-ecosystem/

"...To make matters worse, when some improvements were proposed by an engineer at System76 to libadwaita’s Recoloring API, which is their alternative to theming that is specific to recoloring various elements of GNOME apps and is app-specific (not system wide), these improvements were rejected on the basis that some of the GNOME developers disliked the opinions expressed by the engineer on social media...
            Here is a rebuttal written by Jordan Petridis, GNOME Contributor:

The Truth they are not telling you about “Themes”

https://blogs.gnome.org/alatiera/202...-about-themes/
            Compared to GTK 3, there isn’t a new way to enforce the “hardcoded” style. The GTK_THEME variable still works, as does ~/.config/gtk-4.0/gtk.css and probably 3 other ways of doing this. The process to theme your system might be a bit different compared to GTK 3 but it will still work. Likewise, if you are developing a distribution, you have control of the end product and can do anything you want with the code. There is a plethora of options available. Apparently complaining on social media and bullying volunteers into submission was one such option…

And I guess this also needs to be stated: this change only affects apps that choose to use libadwaita and adopt the GNOME Design Guidelines, not “every” GTK 4 application.
            The details are listed inside the above blog showing work is on the way for a working dark theme and accents with Adwaita as a base rather a hacking approach.

Comment

some people don't like how gnome looks, i don't like music in their trailer

Comment

Too bad Gnome 4X is not available in Debian 11 otherwise it would get equal screentime with Plasma Wayland.

The only extension I actually want is one that duplicates the top panel across multiple monitors. And so far, no developer has stepped up to make this happen on Gnome 4X.

Comment

even Windows has handled this competently since at least 7 via Aero Peek, and older DEs have/had a tray/taskbar icon to hide and show all windows, making it utterly trivial to get to the desktop.
                  This is true and it made me realize that the action of pressing a button that clears windows just so you can launch a link to a program on your desktop is exactly the way you launch programs on Gnome but clunkier. Gnome's app launcher only requires a single click to launch the application and it doesn't clear the other windows on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Gnome's app launcher only requires a single click to launch the application and it doesn't clear the other windows on the screen.
                    Yeah, it almost exactly the same as the launcher in Win 8, less functionality and slower. Even MS recognized that their full screen launcher was not exactly great idea. OSX has their launchpad but they still keep dock and you can easily launch apps just fine from Finder. Oh... and you can clear windows from desktop to access it and than bring them back in OSX all you need to do it is touchpad gesture or single shortcut so no workflow interruption.

I personally do not use desktop icons, but I know a lot of people who does and their workflow would have been completely broken without desktop icons. And most people strongly dislike altering their habits so no chance for GNOME with them.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

And most people strongly dislike altering their habits so no chance for GNOME with them.
                      That is the cause of every single problem in every single OS in existence.

"We want something newer! Better! But it must be the same!"

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
                      I personally do not use desktop icons, but I know a lot of people who does and their workflow would have been completely broken without desktop icons
                      Those people's entire lives are being dictated to and shackled by a bunch of items on the desktop, and they want to talk about freedom.
                      Sonadow
                      Last edited by Sonadow; 23 September 2021, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X