X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by dragorth View Post

In a reply to a post about FILM, all these others are not in the products I was talking about. I mention specifically movie production, not civil engineering.
    And the goalpost shifting starts. Right on cue.

Last edited by Sonadow; 19 September 2021, 09:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Ready to get started? Download a free trial Buy now Autodesk® Maya® 2020 software is supported on the following 64-bit operating systems and at a minimum, requires a system with the following 64-bit hardware: Software Operating System Microsoft® Windows® 7 (SP1), Windows® 10 Professional, Windows 10® version 1607 or higher operating system Apple® macOS® 11.x, 10.15.x, 10.14.x, 10.13.x ¹ operating system Linux® Red Hat® Enterprise 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6, 7.7 WS operating system Linux® CentOS 7.3, 7

Maya is and it does have Linux support.

Some of the autodesk products have you doing odd things to your Linux system so they work.
    Another one who doesn't know how to read.

Leave a comment:

• mroche
    replied
    Originally posted by arQon View Post

If so, we can look forward to at least another decade of X, sigh. Because until the Wayland team - half of which is RH employees in the first place, I expect - stop sulking about ICC support etc, X is NEVER going away for any content creation tasks.
    Wayland and the future of the Linux desktop for the industry is a current talking point among those familiar with the VFX Reference Platform. CY2022 needed to get finalized, but over the next few months further research is going to be taking place about what studios and vendors need and expect from the desktop, and how the industry as a whole can aid in the development of these requirements.

sophisticles Sonadow Lack of RH support for EPEL packages isn't as big of a deal as you are making it out to be for this sector, particularly for desktop usage. Yes, minimizing packages used is definitely on the cards, but GNOME 3 has had some reasonably significant performance and reliability issues until later on in the EL7 lifecycle. And not disrupting artist workflows is a fairly big thing, my team at BSS had a hell of time transitioning folks from XFCE to Cinnamon, artists develop quite a few personal ways of working.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by mroche; 19 September 2021, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dragorth
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Typical dishonest Linux liar.

Autocad: Windows and macOS only
    Autocad LT: Windows and macOS only

Revit: Windows only
    Revit LT: Windows only

Fusion: Windows and macOS only

Maya: Windows, macOS, Linux
    Maya LT: Windows only

3DS Max: Windows only

BIM: Windows and macOS only

Flame: macOS and Linux only

Navisworks: Windows only

Arnold: Windows, macOS, Linux
    Mudbox: Windows, macOS, Linux

NetFabb: Windows only
    Recap: Windows only
    Infraworks: Windows only
    Advance Steel: Windows only

Alias: Windows and macOS only

Dynamo: Windows only
    Factory Design: Windows only
    Fabrication: Windows only
    FeatureCam: Windows only

Eagle: Windows, macOS, Linux

Helius series: Windows only
    HSMWorks: Windows only
    Inventor series: Windows only
    Mouldflow: Windows only

MotionBuilder: Windows and Linux only

Navisworks: Windows only
    Point Layout: Windows only
    PowerInspect: Windows only
    PowerMill: Windows only
    PowerShape: Windows only

Robot Structural Analysis Pro: Windows only
    TruComposites: Windows only
    Structural Bridge Design: Windows only

Smoke: macOS only

Vehicle Tracking: Windows only
    Vault: Windows only

VRED: Windows and macOS only

Within Medical: Windows only

Pype: Windows and macOS only

Camplete: Windows only

Project Explorer for Civil 3D: Windows only
    Grading Optimization for Civil 3D: Windows only
    In a reply to a post about FILM, all these others are not in the products I was talking about. I mention specifically movie production, not civil engineering.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Blackmagic is not an Autodesk product.

Keep trying.
    Ready to get started? Download a free trial Buy now Autodesk® Maya® 2020 software is supported on the following 64-bit operating systems and at a minimum, requires a system with the following 64-bit hardware: Software Operating System Microsoft® Windows® 7 (SP1), Windows® 10 Professional, Windows 10® version 1607 or higher operating system Apple® macOS® 11.x, 10.15.x, 10.14.x, 10.13.x ¹ operating system Linux® Red Hat® Enterprise 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6, 7.7 WS operating system Linux® CentOS 7.3, 7

Maya is and it does have Linux support.

Some of the autodesk products have you doing odd things to your Linux system so they work.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by numasan View Post

I'm talking about it being used on Linux workstations. It's not "custom" or "generic", it's just Linux even with a capture card, so your point is still false. The reason I brought this software up was your comment:

For you who still don't believe that Linux is used for highend digital content production, and would rather spout nonsense and look silly, maybe seeing is believing:

For details on the technology here see: http://graphics.pixar.com/ http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/siggraph/2016/video/sig1608-pol-jememias-dirk-van-geld...

The best #VFX #Animation In-House Tool from @WetaDigital, @ILMVFX , @ScanlineVFX00:06 #Synapse - Fire/Smoke Simulation tool from Weta Digial00:26 #Tissue - M...

While "The Avengers" posed many visual efffects challenges, one of the larger challenges was pulling together the "tie-in" shot during the third act of the f...

If you'd bother to read, here's an old article but still relevant:

Even with wasting time to post this, I still don't think you will be convinced, out of stubbornness or some weird constructed world view, but at least it out there for those interested.
    I already addressed this earlier https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...59#post1279759

If it already wasn't clear enough, that comment was in context of me talking about color management which isn't done natively in Linux, its done externally via a capture card (you do realize this thread is about color management, right?)

It was also further clarified at https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...85#post1279585

Leave a comment:

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
    Actually almost all studios use Linux for the desktop.
    If so, we can look forward to at least another decade of X, sigh. Because until the Wayland team - half of which is RH employees in the first place, I expect - stop sulking about ICC support etc, X is NEVER going away for any content creation tasks.

Frankly, at this point Wayland looks more like an attempt to sabotage desktop Linux than a genuine attempt to improve things. But 100% of the problem is more with the attitude of the developers than the technology, so a case like this, where a large or high-profile RH client might want Wayland to Actually F**king Work Properly, is the one thing that might cause some of those missing pieces to finally start making some progress.

Leave a comment:

• numasan
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

You have no idea what you are talking about and it is obvious that you have never actually attempted to use Resolve on Linux or compared it to the experience of running it on a Mac or Windows.
    I've worked 10 years in VFX, with experience in 3D and compositing and also IT, all primarily in Linux. While I haven't used Resolve for production, I worked with a few colorist who did, and some using it on Linux (typically higher budget productions). The fact that you refer to Resolve as an editor, when its primary use is for color grading, just exposes how little you know of this field, just as the rest of your "arguments" are a joke. It really is embarrassing how you ignore the facts people like mroche are bringing, and still think you know one bit about this topic and post here. On top of that there is this gem

Honestly, the more I read about the custom software that Pixar and Dreamworks use, the more I think that they may not even run on an OS per se, they may be using custom setups where the rendering software runs on bare metal, maybe even coded with extensive assembler, based on the claims of speed.
    I mean, wow. Do you have any clue?

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Are you talking about the recent versions of Davinci which can run on any Linux or the server version which historically came with their custom Linux or servers? Because historically Davinci resolve ran on a custom Linux that they provided (based on Cent/Redhat) in order for software to work correctly. They even advised you to not even connect to the internet as to not update Linux machines, and they were doing things like pinning NVidia drivers.
    I'm talking about it being used on Linux workstations. It's not "custom" or "generic", it's just Linux even with a capture card, so your point is still false. The reason I brought this software up was your comment:
    Studios don't use Linux when they need to do color because Linux is absolutely terrible in this.
    For you who still don't believe that Linux is used for highend digital content production, and would rather spout nonsense and look silly, maybe seeing is believing:

For details on the technology here see: http://graphics.pixar.com/ http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/siggraph/2016/video/sig1608-pol-jememias-dirk-van-geld...

The best #VFX #Animation In-House Tool from @WetaDigital, @ILMVFX , @ScanlineVFX00:06 #Synapse - Fire/Smoke Simulation tool from Weta Digial00:26 #Tissue - M...

While "The Avengers" posed many visual efffects challenges, one of the larger challenges was pulling together the "tie-in" shot during the third act of the f...

If you'd bother to read, here's an old article but still relevant:

Even with wasting time to post this, I still don't think you will be convinced, out of stubbornness or some weird constructed world view, but at least it out there for those interested.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    You claimed studios use Linux pretty much only for servers and people with actual knowledge disproved you.
    You do realize that you are quoting me out of context, right?

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    cannot comprehend finer details.
    You claimed studios use Linux pretty much only for servers and people with actual knowledge disproved you.

Oh man your hilarious 🍿
    *you're

Leave a comment:

Working...
X