Red Hat Is Hiring So Linux Can Finally Have Good HDR Display Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

Actually almost all studios use Linux for the desktop.
    Nonsense! Any professional grade NLE runs far superior on Windows or OSX than it does on Linux, if it even has a Linux port at all.

But feel free to provide any links that support your claim.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 18 September 2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

This line right here:

Underrepresented minorities highly encouraged
      Tells me that this project will be another one in a long line of Linux undertakings that are in development for decades and never get finished.

There's a saying, "get woke, go broke", that applies here.

Instead of "Underrepresented minorities highly encouraged" how about instead saying "people with extensive education, like a PhD in comp sci, and extensive experience, highly encouraged, so that this can be finished sometime this century".

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

Based on your comment I don't expect you to understand what this software does, its place in the industry and why/when it is used on Linux:
        Professional video editing, color correction, visual effects and audio post production all in a single application. Free and paid versions for Mac, Windows and Linux.
        Have you ever used Resolve? I have been using it for years, getting it to work reliably on Linux is a nightmare, there's all sorts of text and GUI scaling issues, and that's assuming you can even get it to launch and run after you have it installed. The most success i have had is with Ubuntu and Fedora, the rest of the distros I don't even bother.

If you want the best Resolve experience you use a Mac, and specifically the new M1, with a Windows based pc being a close second.

Hate to break this to all those living in Linux fantasy land, but if you want reliable, quality video editing of any kind, you nearly always want to first go with a Mac and then a Windows based system as a close second.

Comment

Is over a decade "recently" in your mind? Your ignorance is so obvious it's baffling why you're commenting here. Talk about being disingenuous...
          You have no idea what you are talking about and it is obvious that you have never actually attempted to use Resolve on Linux or compared it to the experience of running it on a Mac or Windows.

Comment

Is over a decade "recently" in your mind? Your ignorance is so obvious it's baffling why you're commenting here. Talk about being disingenuous...
            Are you talking about the recent versions of Davinci which can run on any Linux or the server version which historically came with their custom Linux or servers? Because historically Davinci resolve ran on a custom Linux that they provided (based on Cent/Redhat) in order for software to work correctly. They even advised you to not even connect to the internet as to not update Linux machines, and they were doing things like pinning NVidia drivers.

If we are talking about installing Davinci on generic Linux OS, that only came out somewhat recently (3 years ago iirc).

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Have you ever used Resolve? I have been using it for years, getting it to work reliably on Linux is a nightmare, there's all sorts of text and GUI scaling issues, and that's assuming you can even get it to launch and run after you have it installed. The most success i have had is with Ubuntu and Fedora, the rest of the distros I don't even bother.

If you want the best Resolve experience you use a Mac, and specifically the new M1, with a Windows based pc being a close second.

Hate to break this to all those living in Linux fantasy land, but if you want reliable, quality video editing of any kind, you nearly always want to first go with a Mac and then a Windows based system as a close second.
            There are film studios that run on Linux but as I mentioned, its a custom tailored Linux that Davinci created and such studios have enough resources to throw at the problem. This was mainly a result of Linux having better support for multiple GPU's (Windows didn't support this case too well in the OS, MacOSx up until now historically shipped with terrible GPU's compared to typical PC hardware).

This is now changing though, the most powerful Radeon GPU just got announced that is being released exclusively for the mac pro and Windows has gotten better in scaling with multiple GPU's.
            Last edited by mdedetrich; 18 September 2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Nonsense! Any professional grade NLE runs far superior on Windows or OSX than it does on Linux, if it evens has a Linux port at all.

But feel free to provide any links that support your claim.
              For those of us that have been in or are in the industry, what ChristianSchaller said is a generally understood statement and accurate. That being said, there is a wide range of types of studios, and not all use Linux.

To add clarification, "studios" tends to refer to feature animation studios e.g. Pixar, WDAS, DreamWorks and contracted VFX studios e.g. DNeg, DD, ILM, MPC, etc, usually on the medium to larger size. In this situation, the use of RHEL/CentOS is pretty much de facto, and not just for servers. A good portion of that stems from the transition from IRIX (MIPS) to x86 where Red Hat Linux was ready to scoop up that customer base. I personally worked at Pixar and Blue Sky (at Red Hat now, thanks Disney), along with knowing what a bunch of the other studios are doing because we all talk with each other and our vendors.

That isn't to say things are 100% Linux. Things like story, design, editorial and final coloring tend have a tendency to not take place on Linux even within the aforementioned studios, but that has more to do with software decisions and what OS's they support (looking at you, Avid and Adobe). For groups using Resolve on Linux, if you pair it up with both a dedicated output card that's HDR capable (DeckLink, AJA) and an HDR capable reference monitor, you can do HDR grading on Linux because the software chain completely bypasses Xorg and their limitations for that display. Same thing for Autodesk Flame (RHEL and macOS). This is not an inexpensive solution if you want to be testing/working with HDR content natively throughout the pipeline, like in compositing.

If were talking about smaller or more boutique shops that focus on a particular area, like mograph, editorial, coloring, then yes the Linux usage is not going to be as common. But if you're talking about the studios that do the bulk of the post-production CG work, then a significant majority have nearly complete Linux based pipelines, with the exception of where tools or historical setups don't let them.

Cheers,
              Mike
              Last edited by mroche; 18 September 2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Most high-quality HDR content on the net is DRM-riddled films and Windows/console games. How are you going to apply it to your media player exactly?
                MakeMKV is a thing that exists. Some of us use it. I'm going through my entire 4K library and ripping everything to HLG (so that they look good regardless of HDR support).

Games also use HDR. You can bet that the people at Valve are very interested in Proton supporting this.

There's also native content mastering. I'm sure Blender will pickup support for this in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post

MakeMKV is a thing that exists. Some of us use it. I'm going through my entire 4K library and ripping everything to HLG (so that they look good regardless of HDR support).

Games also use HDR. You can bet that the people at Valve are very interested in Proton supporting this.

There's also native content mastering. I'm sure Blender will pickup support for this in some way.
                  IOW nothing for normal people, OK

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You sure about that? 'Cause BB claimed just a few months ago that VW, BMW and Mercedes are using QNX: https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2021...llion-vehicles
                    That's true, the car consists of more than just infotainment... The infotainment part is usually linux (including Android) based though

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                      There are film studios that run on Linux but as I mentioned, its a custom tailored Linux that Davinci created and such studios have enough resources to throw at the problem. This was mainly a result of Linux having better support for multiple GPU's (Windows didn't support this case too well in the OS, MacOSx up until now historically shipped with terrible GPU's compared to typical PC hardware).

This is now changing though, the most powerful Radeon GPU just got announced that is being released exclusively for the mac pro and Windows has gotten better in scaling with multiple GPU's.
                      Are you high?

Linux having better support for multiple GPU's (Windows didn't support this case too well in the OS
                      Again, are you high? Linux barely supports 1 GPU, forget about having "better support for multiple GPU's".

While the desktop Linux experience has been improving by leaps and bounds, there are still some edge cases that need to be worked out, including systems with multiple graphics cards. While there ex…

Meanwhile Windows has multi GPU support built right in Win 10:

Microsoft is adding new graphics options to Windows 10's Settings app (the company's modern replacement for the legacy Control Panel) that should make life easier for those of you who are still running multiple graphics cards.

Meanwhile you could run a multiple GPU even on Win 98:

SLI has been running on Windows since the XP days:

HotHardware is your trusted source for technology news and expert reviews of computers, PC components, laptops, tablets, smartphones and gadgets for enthusiasts, consumers, gamers and IT pros

Linux having better support for multiple GPU's (Windows didn't support this case too well in the OS
                      Seriously, what are you smoking?

Comment

Working...
                      X