Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snapcraft 6.0 Coming To Finally Move From Ubuntu 18.04 To 20.04 LTS Base, Phase Out i386

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post
    If they remove i386 support from Snapcraft itself, what is going to be their solution to 32 bit software in case they will want to remove the few remaining i386 packages again? You can't rely on the older Snapcraft forever.
    You can expect Ubuntu to abandon i386 support sooner than later. Not sure what their strategy is on i386 or snap for that matter.
    The rest of the linux ecosystem is going with flatpak and there is zero change that snap will become a de-facto standard with fedora/suse backing flatpak.
    Not even Debian could easily (and I assume would) adopt snap out of licensing concerns of the ecosystem.

The other thing that gives me pause is that Ubuntu seem to have difficulties integrating or actively blocking integration of their solutions in the Linux ecosystem.
    Then, when another solution picks up steam they eventually abandon their solution.
    Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe snap will eventually dominate the world but it is difficult to see what it contributes nowadays, except fragmentation.

Comment

I'm happy for them, I have noticed that a snap I use frequently (Chromium) is somewhat hamstrung by lack of some libraries in the base it's built upon. I hope they're able to re-base on 22.04 more quickly when it lands, too.

The big feature I'd like from Snaps are a way to accelerate the launch time, I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a mode that could take advantage of BTRFS and work natively with it, similar to how Docker does. That would mean snaps as read-only subvolumes in BTRFS, while staying as mounted SquashFS volumes elsewhere.

Comment

some thhings work better with snap others with flatpak, I normaly use snap, no need to maintain nothing, manjaro uses snap very well, this canonical made a great job, easy to install, many versions at same time, secure, many use it. etc

Comment

Snap. It's the new upstart/mir/unity/bazaar/insert the next abandonware from Canonical. Technology developed by Canonical and only adopted by Ubuntu with some minor exceptions. Give it another five years and it will be flatpak that will come out on top. It's like they never learn from their past failures.

Comment

I'm totally sold with Nix. I truly think this will play a part in future package management. Yes, it doesn't provide sandboxing, but probably, flatpaks will be based on nix packages in the future, and they will be also usable without flatpak.

Comment

We already have Flatpak and AppImage, which are more open, so no thanks Canonical !
              Stop wasting people's time !

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

The rest of the linux ecosystem is going with flatpak and there is zero change that snap will become a de-facto standard with fedora/suse backing flatpak.
                remind me, how many apps are in flatpaks - especially apps that cannot be found in the standard repositories?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

remind me, how many apps are in flatpaks - especially apps that cannot be found in the standard repositories?
                  Are you asking for flathub specifically or all flatpak repositories?
                  Also, remind me, are there any proprietary packages in the standard repositories?

Comment

The negative comments here are weird. If you don’t like it, don’t use it? I imagine most of you aren’t even running Ubuntu due to hatred of Canonical so why bother?

I think snap is great. It lets me run software that otherwise people might not care to package.

Comment

Snap pollutes the system with mounts. Just look at `mount` and try to figure out where your real drive mounts are; now imagine having 100 snaps and what that would look like, yikes. Flatpak pollutes the filesystem in general. Just look at all the crap under /var/lib/flatpak with even just a few installed. They both suck.

AppImage is the only one that is self-contained and can be installed and run by a normal user. It's really weird that Ubuntu has gone to so much effort to copy OSX (derp) yet didn't want to use AppImage which is the closest thing to the OSX image format there is. I was a Rox user many years ago and AppImage is just an extension of that.
                      Last edited by linner; 04 September 2021, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X