Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome/Chromium's Ozone X11 Code Now Fully Enabled, Old Legacy X11 Code To Be Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Wayland does not magically "fix" tearing. A compositor does.
    No tearing using either Mutter, KWin, xfwm4 (with compositing enabled), Compton (with VSync on) or even Compiz here. Intel, AMD and NVIDIA (since 2019 or so).
    There's been tearing constantly and it seems to regress and come and go all the time. Well, I migrated to Wayland already a few years ago but until that tearing was a persistent issue. I remember that even at the time I switched, playing videos on websites on Firefox was tearing very badly. Some common video players suffered of tearing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

CPU really isn't a substitute for accelerated video encode/decode. It ruins battery life on portable devices and uses CPU cycle which could have been used elsewhere. Hardware video acceleration exists for a reason.
      In the real world, no one seems to get hardware support for online meetings (not even Windows), DRM-based decoding seems very hard or impossible, and Google/YouTube constantly moves to codecs that are CPU optimised without hardware support except for the latest devices. Hardware decoding is nice when it works, but it doesn't benefit most modern browser users very often. It will probably get fixed in the Ozone backend and there is always firefox in the meantime, and dedicated media players too, for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

You seem not to have read my entire message which is painful to see. Maybe read it again: I've compared a modern system with a modern CPU and a relatively modern GPU. Only I was wrong about my 1660 Ti power consumption, it's a lot lower when playing AV1 4K clips. At most I see extra few watts being consumed vs. 24-35W for my CPU (under Linux it's higher than under Windows 10 for some reasons), in other words playing video with my GPU is ten times more efficient if we're talking about extra watts being consumed. The overall system power consumption is of course a lot higher but I don't have access to a modern laptop to test 4K VP9 videos. My old one can only accelerate VP9 decoding at 1080p or below.

Since we must have tons of hardcore Linux fans who are rocking the latest Intel CPUs, they could test it on their systems instead using like you said mpv which allows to switch between HW and software decoding.
        I am not sure what causes the difference in powerconsumption playing an AV1 4K videoclip on your system. However it should not be related to your GPU. AV1 decoding is limited to Nvidia Ampere (via NVDENC) and AMD RDNA2 (upcoming MESA release via VAAPI) right now. The Geforce GTX 1660 Ti has no support to decode this codec as far as i know at least according to the archwiki right here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Har...o_acceleration

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Just to not get ahead of ourselves: In the real world, Apple M1 is more relevant than the entire Linux Desktop put together.
          This, this, this and so much this.

Comment

Originally posted by ripper81 View Post

I am not sure what causes the difference in powerconsumption playing an AV1 4K videoclip on your system. However it should not be related to your GPU. AV1 decoding is limited to Nvidia Ampere (via NVDENC) and AMD RDNA2 (upcoming MESA release via VAAPI) right now. The Geforce GTX 1660 Ti has no support to decode this codec as far as i know at least according to the archwiki right here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Har...o_acceleration
            I was talking about VP9. Reread my posts - I've never mentioned AV1. The GTX 1660 Ti does support VP9:

Last edited by avem; 30 August 2021, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

over two decades. - Probably you are too old or got used to slower UI to notice the difference.
              Never fiddled with Xorg conf files to get 144Hz on my current display - It isn't the same case for everyone.
              Tearing was solved a decade ago or so - I get tearing even now. Only wayland fixes it.
              not sure what you use, but KDE standard display setting configurator worked for me always in aspect of refresh rate.

Xorg doesn't introduce for me extra latency, if anything i get higher latency using Xwayland on Wayland due to additional transition from one to another.

And about tearing, simply most Wayland compositors enforce Vsync what wasn't always the case for X. But a simple known fix either in nvidia panel or KDE guidelines both were very effective for me, just defaults are bad.

Where Wayland truly excels is mostly that it can be more performant (but that requires native wayland aplication) theoreticly more secure and that it can allow stuff like you have 2 monitors but only 1 is gsync/freesync. In X you can't use gsync at all unless you unplug 2nd monitor, in Wayland you theoreticly can.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Wayland does not magically "fix" tearing. A compositor does.
                No tearing using either Mutter, KWin, xfwm4 (with compositing enabled), Compton (with VSync on) or even Compiz here. Intel, AMD and NVIDIA (since 2019 or so).
                Actually, Wayland fixes tearing - it was one of the reasons for Wayland because it is not fixable in XOrg - there are only workarounds.
                Waylands literal slogan has been "every frame is perfect".
                Last edited by mppix; 30 August 2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• What relevant updates do you personally need for Xorg, which are present in Wayland and without which you cannot exist?
                  • What's the percentage of Linux users out there that shares the same needs?
                  • Has X.org stopped working? Maybe it inadequately supports modern HW or even damages it? Maybe it's a pain to use and everyone suffers?
                  Xorg currently works but it is deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
                    I don't know. That would be internal to Nvidia. The changes to Mesa that would allow Nvidia's proprietary drivers to slot in as an alternate GBM backend are already part the last Mesa release though.
                    Does this means that will be possible to use Wayland on Nvidia cards by Mesa?

Comment

I've replaced your entire post with a dash because in essence it's what it is.
                      Hmm... Calling us "Linux fans", saying "actual rock", pointing out Wayland is flawed (even though this is kind of true), being rude and blind replying, finding AMD defects in the other thread...

Username is "avem"... bird in Latin
                      "Replacing paulo avis for a while" - paulo avis = little bird...

...yeah, you know who this is. Yep, the flamewar guy.
                      Doesn't even have respect for a ban.
                      Last edited by tildearrow; 30 August 2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X