Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome/Chromium's Ozone X11 Code Now Fully Enabled, Old Legacy X11 Code To Be Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mppix View Post
    - The usual advice: buy hardware that supports your software.
    Sorry, but this is Windows mentality...
    It wasn't like this decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
      Hey old fart, careful around here, or they may throw you out as well with all the legacy cruft...
      Hah, if all the old farts leave and take their "legacy cruft" with them, the open-source community is going to be left without a usable display system

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Sorry, but this is Windows mentality...
        It wasn't like this decades ago.
        Enjoy running your datacenter off raspberry pi's

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
          My brain farts a lot.
          I've replaced your entire post with what in essence it is.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            Hah, if all the old farts leave and take their "legacy cruft" with them, the open-source community is going to be left without a usable display system
            Xorg developers = Wayland developers. They want to leave the "legacy cruft" behind but are not leaving

Comment

If KDE and Gnome didn't fail spectacularly without being able to log you in, you could say that minor WMs are not required, however I've personally been in a situation when KDE and XFCE haven't allowed me to log in. Both times I spent hours to figure out which configuration files were broken and I'm an IT pro with over 20 years of experience of running Linux and other Unix OSes. For the average user the only solution would be to rm -rf $HOME/.* which is insane.
              and what was the solution you found?

People indeed don't spend time setting DEs because the X11 Xorg server doesn't even need to be configured which is not the case for Wayland DMs right now.
              What are you smoking? I've never had to do any more to setup a Wayland session than X11. If anything, the opposite was true because I didn't realize why I was getting tearing and why setting fractional DPI scaling slowed down my mouse sensitivity, made certain applications scale down instead of up, and left applications unreadable. There was also times where one of my monitors wouldn't show anything because it would be set to 30 hertz while my primary monitor is 60 herz.

I eventually found out I had to Force Compositing in the Nvidia settings to get rid of tearing and that there was no solution at all for fractional scaling and multi-monitor solutions with mixed DPIs and frame rates in X11. When I eventually switched to Wayland (which was a chore only because I have an Nvidia GPU), the experience was fantastic and I haven't had to fiddle with shit. I just set the scaling size, set my primary monitor, and that's it.

Can you talk for yourself please and avoid expressing your confidence in what I need?
              Yes. I don't need a DE that runs on a VESA driver because I'm not disingenuous enough to act like that matters in 2021. Unless in your mind you really think that VESA 2.0 driver support is way more important for the Linux desktop in 2021 than fractional DPI scaling, mixed DPIs, mixed frame rates across multiple monitors, solid V-sync, scaled mouse movements, and the security model that Wayland provides.

No information. Try running Wayland on unsupported HW and get back here.
              Nobody can run Wayland, they can just run compositors that use Wayland. I see you didn't actually provide those strict hardware requirements you mentioned.

Gnome and KDE both will probably not work properly. I'm not sure which Wayland DMs even work when the GPU isn't properly supported.
              Again, what are you talking about? What requirements? When I first ran a Wayland Gnome session on my Nvidia GPU, I didn't have the version of EGLWayland with support for EGLStreams installed. It resulted in my GPU not being used at all and instead everything ran in LLVMPipe. Sounds a lot like I was running Gnome on a GPU that wasn't supported (at least in its GBM backend). In fact, before I figured out about Nvidia-EGLWayland package, I still opted to use a Wayland session over X11 for everyday tasks like web-browsing and stuff because of how much better of an experience it was. Since then it's just gotten better.

Considering Wayland's uptake it's not about what it seems to you, it's reality. OK?
              Wut?
              Last edited by Myownfriend; 30 August 2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I've been using Linux for over two decades. In terms of using Xorg:
                • Never seen or felt any slowdowns aside from running very rare broken applications which send too many libX11 calls
                • Never had or felt too much latency
                • Never fiddled with Xorg conf files to get 144Hz on my current display - it worked out of the box
                • Tearing was solved a decade ago or so
                • Animations feel fast and smooth
                All of this using NVIDIA, Intel and AMD graphics.
                over two decades. - Probably you are too old or got used to slower UI to notice the difference.
                Never fiddled with Xorg conf files to get 144Hz on my current display - It isn't the same case for everyone.
                Tearing was solved a decade ago or so - I get tearing even now. Only wayland fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                  I lost Hardware Accelerated video decode !
                  It was OK before Ozone.
                  Now it's gone and all videos playing with software decoder !
                  Looks like this bug: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=929632

igalia is working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

over two decades. - Probably you are too old or got used to slower UI to notice the difference.
                    Never fiddled with Xorg conf files to get 144Hz on my current display - It isn't the same case for everyone.
                    Tearing was solved a decade ago or so - I get tearing even now. Only wayland fixes it.
                    Wayland does not magically "fix" tearing. A compositor does.
                    No tearing using either Mutter, KWin, xfwm4 (with compositing enabled), Compton (with VSync on) or even Compiz here. Intel, AMD and NVIDIA (since 2019 or so).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Wayland does not magically "fix" tearing. A compositor does.
                      No tearing using either Mutter, KWin, xfwm4 (with compositing enabled), Compton (with VSync on) or even Compiz here. Intel, AMD and NVIDIA (since 2019 or so).
                      Atleast compositors are able to fix problems now which isn't possible in Xorg? IDK. I can only speak about my computer. Just because it works fine for you, doesn't mean it will work fine for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X