KDE Sees More Improvements To Plasma, Konsole, Breeze This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr_marmalade View Post
    I thought the public one wasn't too bad, maybe it could do with more people like a crowd, but that'd be difficult to do in a minimalist iconset.
    Oh no please, don't

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar
      What about baloo? They fixed baloo yet? Or is taking 8GB of RAM+swap a normal thing? And the crashing every now and then a feature?
      Yes, it's very unfortunate and sad that baloo is still in that bad shape. Reading the bug reports, methinks a complete rewrite from scratch would be the best solution.
      Last edited by Hans Bull; 17 August 2021, 07:46 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So do I. Just some self-deprecating humor about how "btw, I use Arch" is seen by annoying and tarded people as a badge of honor. That it makes them 1337 and special and better than everyone else...until a Gentoo user walks in, builds a platform, and pees on both of them. Oh, so on Arch you built 3 things from source with automation tools and configured /etc....Well aren't you special?

I'm a firm believer of "if you can't make fun of yourself you shouldn't make fun of others".
        Well. Arch is perfect unless keyrings or packages break things. Despite of that, it's the best experience I had.

Gentoo is nice, but it's difficult to do the good package combination and use flags and such. Then there's the eternal building, unless you have a beefy CPU(s).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Well. Arch is perfect unless keyrings or packages break things. Despite of that, it's the best experience I had.
          That's the worst part of Arch & rolling release distributions in general. Type in "pacman -Syu" at the wrong hour and yer not gonna have a good time. I try to make it a point to visit the Arch homepage before doing an update just in case they posted a warning or notice. I don't always, but I try.

Gentoo is nice, but it's difficult to do the good package combination and use flags and such. Then there's the eternal building, unless you have a beefy CPU(s).
          Or why I always go back to Arch after trying to get a Gentoo desktop running. Granted that it's been around 3 or 4 years since my last honest attempt at getting Gentoo going so it's probably a bit easier/had more kinks fixed since back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post

Yes, it's very unfortunate and sad that baloo is still in that bad shape. Reading the bug reports, methinks a complete rewrite from scratch would be the best solution.
            Do people use Baloo? Who uses that useless crap?

Please kill it with fire. If they are obsessed with file indexing, they should consider sharing code with other projects such as Gnome's, Tracker or make another systemd module for it.

Then replace "find" and "locate" with something better than rlocate. Maybe base it on fsearch, lolcate, Tracker, gosearch, ANGRYsearch, ferris/libferris, doodle, recoll, rlocate, rlocate (Rust mlocate replacement), etc.

Windows has Everything, despite Windows builtin one sucks. But Linux file indexing is a mess, no idea about Mac, but Android filesystem is an insane hack (but suck less if rooting your phone).

Comment

Working...
            X