X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by david-nk View Post
    Yes, that is part of the reason I'm considering to switch.

Is it, though? From a quick test in a VM Nautilus seems to have even less features than 10 years ago or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
    There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least), no simple "create file" option, no color marking of folders, weird and inconsistent file time display and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
    I assume Nautilus also still cannot queue copy/move operations like Nemo can.
    But there is now a "open in terminal" feature. I'm actually surprised.
    If you prefer Nemo, what is wrong with using Nemo on gnome?
    BTW, you mentioned that you tested Nautilus in a VM. I'd suspect that your VM storage setup has at least something to do with the perceived "slowness".

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    So many potential Gnome users hate the file picker and Nautilus, but they probably haven't reached rock bottom regarding user loss yet. Though I don't dare to say if they actually will act once they do reach it.

Leave a comment:

• moonlite
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Strange, they told me that Gnome has no bugs !
    That's absurd. All software has bugs.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

This issue could be older than many Gnome users!

By the way, I ported it to the new Gitlab
    This is a teenager bug that's been with Nautilus for a long time, every detail can be found in the previous records. Here's the old bug report:

I've been meaning to suggest at least a workaround, but we're understaffed and I've been overwhelmed by work. The easiest solution would be to lock the thumbnails height to the maximum width. That way the view wouldn't scroll while loading the thumbnails.

I think both Dolphin and Thunar use this approach.
    Strange, they told me that Gnome has no bugs !

Leave a comment:

• Mario Junior
    replied
    Are you guys talking about nautilus and the file picker?

Oh boy, I won't even start talking about it because it pisses me off.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    One especially annoying feature in Nautilus is the rendering of picture previews. If you have a directory with hundreds of pics, the scrollbar will readjust its position and range with every rendered picture. The end result is a horrible mess that is constantly moving, making it hard to navigate and operate any file related tasks. It's also slow as fuck. I mean, on a RX 5600 XT & Ryzen 5950X system with 128 GB of RAM, it literally takes like one minute to render few hundred images located on a PCIe 4.0 SSD drive. Switch back and forth between folders and wait again. I can tell no other photo application is as unusable.
    This issue could be older than many Gnome users!

By the way, I ported it to the new Gitlab
    This is a teenager bug that's been with Nautilus for a long time, every detail can be found in the previous records. Here's the old bug report:

I've been meaning to suggest at least a workaround, but we're understaffed and I've been overwhelmed by work. The easiest solution would be to lock the thumbnails height to the maximum width. That way the view wouldn't scroll while loading the thumbnails.

I think both Dolphin and Thunar use this approach.

Leave a comment:

• gedgon
    replied
    Originally posted by danwood76 View Post

Like I say. Not really sure what you mean by a queue. If you copy a lot of files it copies them in a queue one by one.
    Oh, boy. Reproduce your own steps from post #14. Start one big operation, shortly the next one, and another one. Open the progress popover and just to be sure sudo iotop -o, and tell me again that these are executed in a queue.

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
    Nautilus is fast on my setup anyway, I am happy with it and have been for years.
    I'm happy that you are happy, but it doesn't mean that Nautilus is fast. It means that you can't see the lag, so without the numbers our further discussion on this topic is pointless.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least), no simple "create file" option, no color marking of folders, weird and inconsistent file time display and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
    I assume Nautilus also still cannot queue copy/move operations like Nemo can.
    One especially annoying feature in Nautilus is the rendering of picture previews. If you have a directory with hundreds of pics, the scrollbar will readjust its position and range with every rendered picture. The end result is a horrible mess that is constantly moving, making it hard to navigate and operate any file related tasks. It's also slow as fuck. I mean, on a RX 5600 XT & Ryzen 5950X system with 128 GB of RAM, it literally takes like one minute to render few hundred images located on a PCIe 4.0 SSD drive. Switch back and forth between folders and wait again. I can tell no other photo application is as unusable.

Leave a comment:

• danwood76
    replied
    Originally posted by gedgon View Post

This is not a queue, but parallel operations.

Nautilus is sluggish, and the storage device speed is irrelevant. It's clearly noticeable when entering/leaving even empty folders on tmpfs.

----

Awesome work, Ivan!
    Like I say. Not really sure what you mean by a queue. If you copy a lot of files it copies them in a queue one by one. Maybe Nemo does things differently and that is what you are used to.

Nautilus is fast on my setup anyway, I am happy with it and have been for years.

Leave a comment:

• bitterseeds
    replied
    Good work, if that keeps up I might return to GNOME one day from Cinnamon.
    At least if Nemo can be made to work under GNOME, I wouldn't want to go back to their file manager.
    Nemo works fine for me on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS. I use it daily, I've not found anything that doesn't work as far as Nemo. Just an FYI.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X