X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gedgon
    replied
    Originally posted by danwood76 View Post

[...] not sure what you mean by queued copying but I can start multiple file copying/move operations at the same time and they appear in a "queue" in the top bar..
    This is not a queue, but parallel operations.

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
    And it is fast on my machine with spinning drives.
    Nautilus is sluggish, and the storage device speed is irrelevant. It's clearly noticeable when entering/leaving even empty folders on tmpfs.

----

Awesome work, Ivan!

Leave a comment:

• lumks
    replied
    Originally posted by david-nk View Post
    no simple "create file" option,
    Just place a simple file of some kind in your templates folder and you'll be able to create this file everywhere in vir rightclick>create. It's a genius way to handle this, but you need to know or a distro that places files for you there by default

Leave a comment:

• danwood76
    replied
    Yes, that is part of the reason I'm considering to switch.

Is it, though? From a quick test in a VM Nautilus seems to have even less features than 10 years ago or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
    There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least), no simple "create file" option, no color marking of folders, weird and inconsistent file time display and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
    I assume Nautilus also still cannot queue copy/move operations like Nemo can.
    But there is now a "open in terminal" feature. I'm actually surprised.
    Nautilus has all those features.

Not sure what distro you are testing on but on Arch:

Bookmarks are added by dragging a folder to the left pane, not sure what you mean by queued copying but I can start multiple file copying/move operations at the same time and they appear in a "queue" in the top bar. Creating new documents can be enabled by dropping some templates in the gnome template folder. And it is fast on my machine with spinning drives.

Leave a comment:

• pkunk
    replied
    Technically it is feature of gnome terminal. It provides extension for Nautilus.

Leave a comment:

• david-nk
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    If you use Cinnamon, then you use a very outdated Gnome Shell/Mutter with some extensions baked in.
    Yes, that is part of the reason I'm considering to switch.

And, as someone who was a Nemo fan for many years, Nautilus is better by now.
    Is it, though? From a quick test in a VM Nautilus seems to have even less features than 10 years ago or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
    There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least), no simple "create file" option, no color marking of folders, weird and inconsistent file time display and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
    I assume Nautilus also still cannot queue copy/move operations like Nemo can.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Hard to predict when this hitting rock bottom event may occur, after all the community is steadily growing and that since years. But, you are auf krawall, so
    I suspect this attitude to be part of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• furtadopires
    replied
    Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
    Somehow phoronix readers managed to turn a input latency discussion into a talk about ****** file picking and Nemo. What a time to be alive
    You're underestimating the two biggest talents of Phoronix forum: Discussing off-topic subjects and commenting without reading the article first

Leave a comment:

• ciupenhauer
    replied
    Somehow phoronix readers managed to turn a input latency discussion into a talk about ****** file picking and Nemo. What a time to be alive

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    So many potential Gnome users hate the file picker and Nautilus, but they probably haven't reached rock bottom regarding user loss yet. Though I don't dare to say if they actually will act once they do reach it.
    Hard to predict when this hitting rock bottom event may occur, after all the community is steadily growing and that since years. But, you are auf krawall, so

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Nautilus and the GNOME file picker is terrible if you ask me. Yeah, it look nice, but in terms of usability it annoys me all the time. To me it worked better when I could just enter or modify path. I know I can press / to start typing a path, but then it's not very intuitive to navigate and I usually do something else than I intended. When on GNOME, I simply use terminal instead, because it's easier.
    Ctrl + L

Leave a comment:

Working...
X