Ubuntu Developer Still Pursuing Triple Buffering, Deep Color For GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gedgon View Post

Simply not true. W/ !1441, Shell's animations are significantly smoother even with locked min GPU clocks (Polaris). W/o !1441, with locked max GPU clocks mutter drops frames as usual.
    That would be another (actual) benefit of !1441. But no one was talking about that, not even Daniel.
    Last edited by Alexmitter; 13 July 2021, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      I still believe this driver issue should be properly fixed in the driver.

The whole issue is quite easy. Gnome renders new frames only when needed, aka when something changes on screen. Now you did not do anything for some seconds and the Intel GPU goes into its low clock mode. Then you open the activities and the GPU still being in low clock mode does not render the animation fluently.

What Daniel is doing is to raise the GPU usage a little via the triple buffering causing it to not go down so far with its clock. Its a workaround, nothing more.
      It isn't a driver issue because drivers cannot tell the future. They won't know that a human is about to perform an action that would require ramping up the clock speeds. Obviously triple buffering is shit because it's about making the system run at unnecessary high clocks just to satisfy the performance requirements for a useless gimmicky effect.

In order to fix it properly, it would probably require a new kernel-level "hinting system" for telling the GPU that "soon you need to work harder, so get your clocks up *now*"... but I am not sure if this would still work given that it would have to happen in a couple milliseconds before the same problem of dropped frames became obvious. (Still isn't a driver issue because there is no kernel API to hook into as of now.)

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

That would be another (actual) benefit of !1441. But no one was talking about that, not even Daniel.
        No, your whole assumption of how triple buffering works is just wrong.
        Last edited by gedgon; 13 July 2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
          This guy needs fix this shi* file manager called "nautilus", because these lazy gnome developers team can't do it.
          2021 and Nautilus still using single thread process to generate thumbnails!
          ISTR that the last time some clown tried to add threading to nautilus, they literally used NO sync objects, at all. Really.
          So unless you want nautilus to crash ** every time you try to do two things at once with it, you'd better hope the gnome devs KEEP being too lazy to try to improve it.
          (** Or worse, silently intermix the data of the files you're copying, etc etc)
          Last edited by arQon; 13 July 2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I've tried Depth 30 a few times in the past with bad results, applications get distorted and all. Real shame Linux still can't do this correctly, meanwhile windows has been mastering deep colour and hdr type stuff for ages now.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              I've tried Depth 30 a few times in the past with bad results, applications get distorted and all.
              That must have been a long time ago. No issues here whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I would also like to see support macros like writing macro scripts, like AutoHotkey, have things like key bindings and binding mouse buttons to keys on the keyboard.
                I know what you mean, and I agree. I'm just going to quickly mention this nifty tool anyway, perhaps it can be useful to someone. Cheers!
                🎮 ⌨ An easy to use tool to change the behaviour of your input devices. - sezanzeb/input-remapper

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post
                  vulkan support seems to be a work in progress, but VRR might never arrive, at least outside propietary drivers. It's a feature of HDMI 2.1 and the consortium behind it forbids publishing it's specifications, which in turn means that open source drivers can pretty much not use it at all.
                  i doubt gnome will have to do something hdmi-specific. i.e. you should interpret vrr here as generic term(freesync) rather than hdmi spec

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    i doubt gnome will have to do something hdmi-specific. i.e. you should interpret vrr here as generic term(freesync) rather than hdmi spec
                    Well, it literally is the name of a HDMI 2.1 feature. So they should have said what he meant. Plus they already clarified that.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post

That must have been a long time ago. No issues here whatsoever.
                      I guess I tried messing with it about a year ago. And back then I had a nvidia card and now I have a 6800xt so perhaps its no longer a issue.
                      The problem is I test allot of games via proton and get all sorts of obscure graphical and crash bugs so adding 30bit depth on top of that is asking for trouble.
                      I really wish it was 100% rock solid no problems what so ever, but past recent experience says no! I'll enable sometime soon to test out but I have very little faith in it not causing problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X