Ubuntu Developer Still Pursuing Triple Buffering, Deep Color For GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    X11 in total is a workaround (has become)
    X11 has the same issue, in fact the work originally began for the X11 backend and now gets ported to the wayland backend of mutter.

Comment

Workaround or not, performance is one of the worst things about GNOME (apart from UX choices that doesn't make any sense). It's just embarrassing that some app grid animation is sluggish on a modern x86 device, while something similar is smooth on a freaking low-powered smartphones, even those one decade old. It doesn't look any better when they redesign the shell to bring sUpErNeWCooLUsErExPerIeNcE, but it sometimes chokes even on a powerful PC and simply lags all the time on a laptop. Why not simplifying/removing animations instead?

I hope KDE would get a hero one day, too!
      Last edited by bple2137; 12 July 2021, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I would like to see support for Vulkan as a backend and support for variable refresh rate (VRR).

I would also like to see support macros like writing macro scripts, like AutoHotkey, have things like key bindings and binding mouse buttons to keys on the keyboard.
        So you can map buttons on gaming mice, there mice from Razer and Logitech with like 9 side buttons, it would be good to be able to create profiles that in certain applications or games those are mapped to function keys like F1, F2, etc or Ctrl+F1 or Shift+F1, etc.

Comment

I'm using the triple buffering patch on my Tumbleweed and it's simply night and day difference on my XPS 13 Developer Edition in its native 4K (or even on external QuadHD display). Thanks Daniel!

(MR, OBS, note I'm currently using X11 again because I can't enable TrackPoint scrolling otherwise)
          Last edited by Timo Jyrinki; 12 July 2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't have to define it, Ubuntu does that for me: "3D Acceleration Capable Videocard with at least 256 MB"
            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements
            No they aren't. They're telling people the recommended minimal specs for Ubuntu. You used the term modern. Ubuntu never did on that page. You need to define what you mean by "modern". I stand by my statement. Resource contention occurs even on recent GPU hardware. Triple buffering will be a useful feature on even recent GPU hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I would like to see support for Vulkan as a backend and support for variable refresh rate (VRR).
              vulkan support seems to be a work in progress, but VRR might never arrive, at least outside propietary drivers. It's a feature of HDMI 2.1 and the consortium behind it forbids publishing it's specifications, which in turn means that open source drivers can pretty much not use it at all. See https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ync-HDMI-Patch

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post
                vulkan support seems to be a work in progress, but VRR might never arrive, at least outside propietary drivers. It's a feature of HDMI 2.1 and the consortium behind it forbids publishing it's specifications, which in turn means that open source drivers can pretty much not use it at all. See https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ync-HDMI-Patch
                Oh, I didn't know that. Either way, with VRR I wasn't specifically only talking about VRR in HDMI, I also meant over DisplayPort such as VESA Adaptive-Sync, AMD FreeSync, Nvidia G-Sync, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
                  Workaround or not, performance is one of the worst things about GNOME (apart from UX choices that doesn't make any sense). It's just embarrassing that some app grid animation is sluggish on a modern x86 device, while something similar is smooth on a freaking low-powered smartphones, even those one decade old. It doesn't look any better when they redesign the shell to bring sUpErNeWCooLUsErExPerIeNcE, but it sometimes chokes even on a powerful PC and simply lags all the time on a laptop. Why not simplifying/removing animations instead?

I hope KDE would get a hero one day, too!
                  Yes. I hope gnome-shell [de and window manager] to die at some point.

Comment

And that's why Gnome is the Linux graphical desktop.

No other graphical desktop environment is as complete or as full-featured as Gnome where Wayland is concerned. And X can go burn in a fire.

Comment

This guy needs fix this shi* file manager called "nautilus", because these lazy gnome developers team can't do it.

Thumbnailing images (and others) in Nautilus is dog slow (#856) · Issues · GNOME / Files · GitLab
                      Bug #869793 “Nautilus is very slow when opening folders with man...” : Bugs : nautilus package : Ubuntu (launchpad.net)

2021 and Nautilus still using single thread process to generate thumbnails!

Comment

Working...
                      X