Chrome 91 Released With Gravity Sensor API, JSON Modules, WebAssembly SIMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbkblk View Post
    I don't react about these things usually but this sentence is misleading: "Google has released Chrome 91 as a rather exciting feature update to their open-source, cross-platform web browser".
    Chromium is the open-source part but Chrome a proprietary web browser, you cannot build it! I think this should be fixed for the few that don't know.
    Sure, but what you are saying is also misleading. The bits of Chrome that are "proprietary" are few and far between, and you can actually get them from Google if you are willing to sign agreements as to how you use them. It includes stuff like DRM for videos, and integration with Google public servers for online translation features, file backup, etc.

It's not like Chrome is a vastly different code base. It's probably less different than RedHat and CentOS.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      ...you can actually get them from Google if you are willing to sign agreements as to how you use them. It includes stuff like DRM for videos, and integration with Google public servers for online translation features, file backup, etc.
      I didn't know. So that means you can build it for yourself if you sign the agreement?

Comment

Indeed HA stopped working. It is very bad they didn't bother to enable the new one it behind the flags options, tough.

Wouldn't affect me too much, because I primarily use Firefox anyway. But is taking forever for Mozilla to enable HA by default. If it wasn't for that dude from RedHat things would be even worse.

Comment

Google has released Chrome 91 as a rather exciting feature update to their open-source, cross-platform web browser.
          Chrome is not open source

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Sure, but what you are saying is also misleading. The bits of Chrome that are "proprietary" are few and far between, and you can actually get them from Google if you are willing to sign agreements as to how you use them. It includes stuff like DRM for videos, and integration with Google public servers for online translation features, file backup, etc.

It's not like Chrome is a vastly different code base. It's probably less different than RedHat and CentOS.
            What you just described fits well within the definition of proprietary software. Microsoft also has some open bits in their software, and also allows some people to look at their code if they sign an agreement.

Comment

I wish Google would get people who could actually speak English to do the presentations, it is so difficult to understand "eyyleements" (elements) and "sauce" (source).

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                Beware, they've disabled hardware video decode acceleration; they also don't have an option to turn off these annoying Tab Hover Cards anymore.
                What do you mean they disabled it? I'm using the latest Vivaldi snapshot based on Chromium 91 and it's working fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  vaapi stop working in last version, now is removed in flags, if someone want to try it try command line flags I back to firefox I'm tired of this things, I want to watch some fhd or uhd and the things slimple lag
                  The flag is still there for me and working fine in 91. Maybe you should check your installation before ranting.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                    The flag has been removed
                    If the flag is removed, then why do I still have it in 91?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What do you mean they disabled it? I'm using the latest Vivaldi snapshot based on Chromium 91 and it's working fine for me.
                      First, I was speaking of Google's official Chrome build for Linux, not distribution provided Chromium nor any derivatives like Vivaldi. Second, the workaround from Chromer (Post #10) works. But third, it is now disabled by default and the flag in "about:flags" was removed, hence you need to know the right command like Chromer told us to get it to work. That used to be configurable in about:flags in the last release and was even on by default in the release before. This is a huge regression in my eyes as a lot of people are left out in the dark about this. They should have at least made it configurable in "about:flags".

Comment

Working...
                      X