KDE Introduces KCommandBar For HUD-Style Popups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morty View Post

And how does that play a role? Qt have been LGPL for over 12 years.
    Exactly. From an open source enthusiast perspective the license to nit-pick is this one: The Qt License.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post

What about Chromium and Firefox which are not only orders of magnitude more popular, but also have insane budget and enormous engineering teams?

Neither Firefox nor Chromium are GTK applications! Firefox in Linux uses only a GTK surface for theming, in Chromium it is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        Funny. I personally find GTK 90's looking while Qt looks a lot more modern.
        You're probably still living in 1980s then.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
          GTK3/4 isn't perfect as well. Touch-focused (unnecesarily) and full of bloat (CSD). At least gtk3-classic fixes the things a bit.
          It isn't about about appearances, it's how widgets function and behave.

Just look at a menu button for instance. With GTK it's trivial to create dynamic menus with rich widgets inside the menu popup. On Qt and KDE you're limited to a primitive list of uniform menu items and cannot do anything to fix that. This limitation is also inherited by the useless "KHamburgerMenu" which is just a regular menu button with a hardcoded icon assigned to it.

This overhyped KCommandBar is also only a text box and list view combined together. Jesus christ! This is introduction-level skills. Besides, did anyone even notice that on the blog post, the video showcasing this feature is 11 seconds long? Did you notice it's displaying user using the command box to trigger an action that also has a keyboard shortcut assigned to it? It's a useless workaround for features that power users would always have keyboard shortcuts for.
          Last edited by curfew; 22 May 2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
            This overhyped KCommandBar is also only a text box and list view combined together. Jesus christ! This is introduction-level skills. Besides, did anyone even notice that on the blog post, the video showcasing this feature is 11 seconds long? Did you notice it's displaying user using the command box to trigger an action that also has a keyboard shortcut assigned to it? It's a useless workaround for features that power users would always have keyboard shortcuts for.
            So, you have EVERY shortcut in EVERY application you use memorized? And you memorize EVERY shortcut before starting to use a new application? I doubt either of those. KCommandBar is for the ones you don't remember. And the ones that don't have shortcuts. And the one's whose names you don't quite remember. And for easily checking if there is a feature you don't quite remember exists. And other cases I can't think of right now.
            Last edited by Jaxad0127; 22 May 2021, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Nice feature. It reminds me a lot of the Unity HUD which I loved and miss. That was super useful for applications like Gimp, with its plethora of commands.

This one looks the same but more closely linked to the application from a UI standpoint. I think it looks great also, not sure what the complaint is about.

I’m someone who prefers thick padding and larger sized widgets, but for those that don’t I think KDE is serving them well.

Comment

Just look at a menu button for instance. With GTK it's trivial to create dynamic menus with rich widgets inside the menu popup. On Qt and KDE you're limited to a primitive list of uniform menu items
                That's perfectly sufficient.

Comment

Of course it is "sufficient" and that's perfectly fine. If KDE ever only aims to be "sufficient" and stop at that, then they're already there.

Comment

And with this "all QWidgets-based KDE apps that use our KXMLGui framework (which is to say, most of them) will automatically get this feature for free!", it clearly show how things is solved in a advanced modern toolkit. No more re-implementing it all over the place and tons of boilerplate code you get in lesser toolkits.

Comment

Besides, did anyone even notice that on the blog post, the video showcasing this feature is 11 seconds long? Did you notice it's displaying user using the command box to trigger an action that also has a keyboard shortcut assigned to it? It's a useless workaround for features that power users would always have keyboard shortcuts for.
                      Really, I don't know what's funnier: the fact that you're acting all surprised at how a HUD design works as if you didn't know it existed before today (FYI: even Gnome's Activities screen is a HUD) or the fact that you seem to think GTK (i.e. Gnome, let's not kid ourselves) is made for power users.

Comment

Working...
                      X