Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AV1 Decoder dav1d Lands 10-bit AVX2 Assembly For Big Speed-Up, Thanks Facebook + Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AV1 Decoder dav1d Lands 10-bit AVX2 Assembly For Big Speed-Up, Thanks Facebook + Netflix

Phoronix: AV1 Decoder dav1d Lands 10-bit AVX2 Assembly For Big Speed-Up, Thanks Facebook + Netflix

For those making use of 10-bit AV1 content and using dav1d as the performant CPU-based decoder, the performance on modern Intel and AMD processors is about to be a heck of a lot better...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very good. AV1 is shaping up to be an incredible game changer. will definitely be the next AVC or Mjpeg. whichever one you think more popular.

once we start to see chips with dedicated av1 encoders at a budget spectrum, AV1 will take the world by storm for consumer stuff too.

Comment

Yet it is 2021 and AV1 is still not as widespread as I had hoped for. Without hardware encoders it will stay that way, but with a bit of luck the next hardware generation will bring them to us finally. Also I haven't heard much about AV2 or AVIF, I still would like to see a replacement of JPG sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        Yet it is 2021 and AV1 is still not as widespread as I had hoped for. Without hardware encoders it will stay that way, but with a bit of luck the next hardware generation will bring them to us finally. Also I haven't heard much about AV2 or AVIF, I still would like to see a replacement of JPG sooner rather than later.
        AV1 has only recently become viable. both in encoding and decoding side of things. and is now becoming wide spread, Netflix and Youtube are already pushing av1 content, google is already working with av1 for video streaming (And it works well).

Its getting very close to the point where software encoding is becoming viable. it used to be a full day to encode a 20min 30fps~ video, now I can easily do two or three a day. without needing my pc to run overnight.

AVIF pales in comparison to jpegxl for stills, but far exceeds it in animations due to the video encoding capabilities of av1.

but no one seems to care about it as firefox STILL cannot ay avif animations (Chrome has been able to for a long time now).

But no, AV1 is becoming very widespread already, and its not even ready for consumer encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          1 in 3 YouTube videos I watch seem to be AV1 encoded. To be fair, since I have a Xe GPU with hardware accelerated AV1 decoding, I've switched the settings from preferring AV1 for <480p to preferring AV1 for all resolutions. The only downside seem to be that GPU RAM usage (the Xe is integrated) goes through the roof, but that could be a driver bug (Windows driver).

Comment

I hope Firefox picks up these optimizations soon. My next processor will be Cézanne without hw acceleration, but I will still unblock AV1 on Youtube since software decode will be fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by scineram View Post
              I hope Firefox picks up these optimizations soon. My next processor will be Cézanne without hw acceleration, but I will still unblock AV1 on Youtube since software decode will be fast enough.
              Nearly all videos that are AV1 on Youtube are 8bit and 8bit is already fast on nearly all CPUs. Would be nice if they would bring 10bit cause banding is a problem on Youtube.
              In this playlist are videos that have a av1 10bit(+HDR) version but even if you set Youtube to "always prefer AV1" it does not serve it in firefox on a ryzen3600.
              With youtube-dl - f 401+251 URL
              will you get the av1 version to test it (399=1080p 400=1440p 401=4k)

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post
                Nearly all videos that are AV1 on Youtube are 8bit and 8bit is already fast on nearly all CPUs.
                I beg to differ. Software decoding causes my laptop's fans to spin up like crazy. Firefox recently optimized their hardware decoding to be about 50 % more efficient than in previous versions, so now the difference should be pretty major, although I haven't tried that. But even video players are horribly slow in software rendering mode.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                  I beg to differ. Software decoding causes my laptop's fans to spin up like crazy. Firefox recently optimized their hardware decoding to be about 50 % more efficient than in previous versions, so now the difference should be pretty major, although I haven't tried that. But even video players are horribly slow in software rendering mode.
                  I have been using AV1 since it's been made publicly usable on YouTube using my i7 6700HQ (and its HD530) on Windows 10 and Google Chrome, and CPU usage is high sure, but at 1080p60 (8bit, SDR) it does not go higher than 20-30%, it can even play 2160p60 (still 8bit SDR though) without any stuttering (reaching something like 80% CPU usage of course, it's still software rendering at extreme resolution for such an old hardware), and that's on a 6 years old CPU with obviously no HW acceleration

Actually, I don't exactly know how it's using the CPU but I noticed that at like 1080p30 it may be using around 20-30% CPU but it keeps its clock pretty low, around 0.9 to 2.0GHz, while it's a CPU that go up to 3.2GHz on all cores and 3.5GHz using single core, so it definitely still has a lot of headroom.

So sure, SW rendering is heavy, but on a 6 years old high end mobile CPU, it runs like a charm, surprisingly, which is why I also activated AV1 onall resolutions and also noticed a very large amount of videos being encoded with it (basically every single music video are AV1) and it's only getting faster, and from memory, Chrome isn't even using dav1d but its own sx decoder

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    AVIF pales in comparison to jpegxl for stills, but far exceeds it in animations due to the video encoding capabilities of av1.

but no one seems to care about it as firefox STILL cannot ay avif animations (Chrome has been able to for a long time now).
                    Hm interesting, I've never heard this argument before, the only thing I heard was that jpegxl is better than or equal to AVIF at everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X