Wine 6.6 Released With Better Plug & Play Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

Last time I checked Half-Life was available on Steam Play/Linux (1, 2 and Black Mesa). Why would you try to play the Windows version on Wine?
    Fixing anything windows related, regardless if there is a linux version of that program, is still good because it can help other stuff. Or at least cause the developers to learn more about the underlying system that can improve something else later on.

If this is about software renders for half-life, then it might help them with other windows only programs that use software renders, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

You're good at speculation, conspiracies, wearing tinfoil hats and just pure BS. Now, again is there anything proven? Because according to you anything (closed-source) that runs at the kernel level is malware. Which also mans that Windows, MacOS/iOS and Android are all malware by definition because they contain closed source binary drivers written by God knows whom. Sorry, I'm not going to argue with this madness.

I just wonder how do you wake up in the morning knowing that your PC runs closed source EFI firmware, and you most likely have firmware for your GPU, SSD, NIC, WiFi card and in some cases your sound card.

You should have started with "any closed source software is a virus, lol". So many tinfoil hats wearers here, LMAO.
      Well none of my points are speculation, since you can easily check what is different between execution levels and runtime levels.

Also again lack of proof is not prove of innocence without a proper investigation and the issue with closed software is that can easily delay or halt any investigation through a very complex set of litigious plays for years as long as you have money to keep at it(many corporations were infamous for this like Microsoft and Oracle for example).

Also yes any closed software is in principle a risk which is why big corporations and governments require security audits before or after purchase along a huge set of bothersome legal guarantees, so this is really an issue for regular folk without any actual power to get those results(or the same audited product).

The only choice we all really have is to either take the risk because the product offer more benefit than any probable downfall or not take the risk and discard said product, yes in my case i decided the latter and i use Linux/BSD(my last Windows installation was probably windows Me) even tho i'm aware other part of the system could be vulnerable(like firmware as you mentioned) for me it reduces the risk significantly enough to make it acceptable.

In your specific response i don't actually get where all this tinfoil hat thing is coming from (i guess you are not into the technical side) but your assertion was Denuvo is safe because link and my response is simply that it should never be assumed something is safe without hard proof because technically speaking even open source software can be insecure and work perfectly fine and be recognized as safe simply because nobody bother to audit it and that link had technical information that is not accurate and that is all i care about.

So, if you took your precautions and have no issues with Denuvo that is 100% fine with me, after all it does not affect me in any way but other people deserve to have proper information and understand there is a risk so as you did, they can make their choice properly informed.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        I'm not going to read this wall of text because it again contains nothing but speculation and absurd claims e.g. "everything closed source that runs at the kernel level must be malware".

I have my share of precautions but at the same time I'm OK with Denuvo. There are bright hackers out there who, I bet, have long disassembled the Windows kernel driver and found nothing in it 'cause otherwise it would have been a major fiasco and a blow to the company. You surely have never run any serious business to say such things. Also, absolute most governments and intelligence agencies of the world run closed-source Windows and have no qualms about it. You on the other hand keep the secrets of the universe on your PC, so you know better. Oh wait.

There's this thing called "presumption of innocence" - please always remember about it. Also, there's this other thing called "Occam's razor" which helps deal with conspiracies.
        Last edited by birdie; 10 April 2021, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I'm not going to read this wall of text because it again contains nothing but speculation and absurd claims e.g. "everything closed source that runs at the kernel level must be malware".

I have my share of precautions but at the same time I'm OK with Denuvo. There are bright hackers out there who, I bet, have long disassembled the Windows kernel driver and found nothing in it 'cause otherwise it would have been a major fiasco and a blow to the company. You surely have never run any serious business to say such things. Also, absolute most governments and intelligence agencies of the world run closed-source Windows and have no qualms about it. You on the other hand keep the secrets of the universe on your PC, so you know better. Oh wait.

There's this thing called "presumption of innocence" - please always remember about it. Also, there's this other thing called "Occam's razor" which helps deal with conspiracies.
          About the Windows kernel there has been several cases tho nothing as grave as Microsoft is selling your credit card number to hackers but more in the line of of data mining which is why the EU(among other) ending forcing them to the current user aware approach of Windows 10(probes and court cases are still coming and going tho)

Government and intelligence agencies including corporation related to national security, energy, etc. have specific contracts and legal bindings with Microsoft and for those clients Microsoft allows under NDA full security audits and specific patching and even source code requests for auditing. Also each government have specific security normative Microsoft have to abide if they want those huge contracts (don't ask me what is exactly different tho outside encryption algorithms but i know China Russia and the US have specific government editions of Windows).

Also note that at least the US government and Russia(i do assume China and everyone else does the same) uses hardware with specific security modifications like custom TPM2 chips and off the civilian market bio-metric scanners and validated CPU microcode (Well Russia and China use their own hardware but Intel also have agreements with them for this stuff)

Quote:

"Windows 10 is the most secure version of Windows ever, and we’re humbled that governments around the world and now the Chinese government has a version of Windows created specifically for it. We are committed to work tirelessly to meet their needs."

I don't have any secret of the universe at hand (i keep those on hard paper, old school baby) but i don't have enough money to handle been hacked and getting my bank account cleaned neither i think i would like to have my source code from work appearing on Github or have someone monitoring my PC to know at which hours i'm at home so he can kidnap me(quite a common criminal strategy here in South America), etc.

Also presumption of innocence does not make you innocent by default, but assume innocence until the evidence produce a result to either side and like in software money can make a huge difference in the outcome too.
          Last edited by jrch2k8; 10 April 2021, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Because some of us own the original Sierra releases and refuse to use Steam?
            I didn't even know that it was originally sold by Sierra.

Comment

Remember Denuvo? Back in the far simpler times of 2016-2018, which somehow seem light years better than 2020 despite being veritable dumpster fires in and of themselves, we wrote a series of posts …

The reality is this level of noise against doing ring 0 stuff means the crackers who did exploit Denuvo driver have not got the media coverage.

Games that have badly implemented all versions of Denuvo as in causing major performance issues have had the DRM and the anti-cheat cracked in hours.

Of course once wine allows Denuvo protected games to be run there will be cheats possible because the game is running in wine.

Also, absolute most governments and intelligence agencies of the world run closed-source Windows and have no qualms about it.
              This is not true. Windows is shared source. For windows to be used by most governments and intelligence agencies Microsoft has had to provide full source code access.

Countries that Microsoft does not provide full source code access most of their intelligence agencies are running Linux or some other open source.

Governments are happy for their populations to run a OS that they don't have source code access on but they are not happy to-do that themselves. Welcome to a double standard.

Comment

Since there haven't been any major changes regarding graphic layers, I haven't updated in a while.

I think vk3d and the proton fork should work together more closely to fix issues on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

I didn't even know that it was originally sold by Sierra.
                  Yeah. From what I remember, the whole reason Valve decided to try becoming their own publisher was because of the decline of Sierra in the decade following that CUC accounting scandal.

Comment

I have my share of precautions but at the same time I'm OK with Denuvo. There are bright hackers out there who, I bet, have long disassembled the Windows kernel driver and found nothing in it 'cause otherwise it would have been a major fiasco and a blow to the company.
                    ...which has happened in the past. Not with Denuvo mind you, but what makes you think Denuvo is more special?

Idiots like you said the exact same thing back then. And it was all sunshine and rainbows, until it happened. And after it happened it's too late already you clown.

We all know you aren't going to repair the damage when it happens, you'll probably be too ashamed even to open your mouth or post anything and simply disappear. Clueless people who listened to you will be devastated, and while it's technically their fault, you're the trash who will take zero responsibility for it.

Because we all know you aren't going to make a bet about it to give everything you have away to people struck by it, if and when it happens. Talk is cheap, actions aren't. Not so sure about your assertions or what?

Remember one thing: if malware/exploit is detected and you repair it immediately as soon as you found out, but has been vulnerable for a year, that means an entire year you've been susceptible to silent exploits (or maybe even a victim). Malware is the most dangerous when it's silent and you are blissfully unaware of it.

Comment

Malware, ransomware, whatever Denuvo is awful.

Even if it didn't steal my identity, wipe out my bank account, generate false evidence of anti-social behaviour against me, it did the next worst thing: it
                      kept shutting me down when I stupidly bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider before Feral had finished their port!

I'd be playing along, stop for a few minutes, try start back up and I'd have a popup on the screen with a stupid message like "Something went wrong, try again in 24 hours". This happened many, many times, enough such that I won't buy a Denuvo crippled title again.

I do wish that all this DRM wasn't necessary but some, like Denuvo, take it too far.

Comment

Working...
                      X