Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 6.6 Released With Better Plug & Play Driver Support

Phoronix: Wine 6.6 Released With Better Plug & Play Driver Support

Wine 6.6 is out as the open-source project's first release of April for running Windows games and applications primarily on Linux and macOS platforms. With Wine 6.6 comes more feature work that will ultimately be incorporated into the Wine 7.0 release due out in early 2022...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Denuvo anti-cheat
    correction, Denuvo malware :^)

Comment

Bugs fixed in 6.6 (total 56):
      19626 Half-life engine's software rendering is ridiculously slow
      27528 Half Life Software Rendering completely wrong
      Last time I checked Half-Life was available on Steam Play/Linux (1, 2 and Black Mesa). Why would you try to play the Windows version on Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

Last time I checked Half-Life was available on Steam Play/Linux (1, 2 and Black Mesa). Why would you try to play the Windows version on Wine?
        Comparisons, like visual and performance, between Native and Wine would be my first guess.

Comment

Tangentially related, I just found out this week how badly the Linux port of Black Mesa currently sucks, even though it worked great last June. Proton works, but for some reason the loading screens get about 10x longer…

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

Because some of us own the original Sierra releases and refuse to use Steam?

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
              correction, Denuvo malware :^)
              An idiotic correction. Denuvo is DRM, not malware. Malware is something which actively harms your PC or life while Denuvo does nothing aside from making it harder to steal something it protects.
              Last edited by birdie; 11 April 2021, 09:05 PM. Reason: whuke -> while (no idea how I typed it this way, lmao)

Comment

Hopefully they fixed installer bugs..., they broke it in recent versions, partially fixed it, and not it's semi-broken.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

An idiotic correction. Denuvo is DRM, not malware. Malware is something which actively harms your PC or life whuke Denuvo does nothing aside from making it harder to steal something it protects.
                  Some of the kernel level stuff Denuvo installs is pretty shady. I don't think it's outright malware, but it's certainly a shady line where a publisher is over stepping their bounds of snooping into your system to make sure you're not cheating / stealing.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Some of the kernel level stuff Denuvo installs is pretty shady. I don't think it's outright malware, but it's certainly a shady line where a publisher is over stepping their bounds of snooping into your system to make sure you're not cheating / stealing.
                    Nothing that Denuvo installs has been proven to do anything illegal. If you know something different, please let us know 'cause otherwise these are vapid accusations.

Comment

Working...
                    X