KDE Starts April By Landing KHamburgerMenu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

My least favorite key on the board. Only my right hand ring finger can press that comfortably and it's on a mouse unless I'm typing something.

But, thanks, I'll give that a shot the next time I'm running GNOME.

FYI, most native English speakers use "at your expense". I had a at yours.
    glad we made each others days

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
      Hamburger menu on the right side of the toolbar is one of the worst, no idiotic, ui conventions we got from smartsses at google. Do I really need to explain why?
      I'm not sure *any* placement of that particular nonsense would improve it, but if you know how, I'm all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        So now we like hamburgers? Great.
        Apparently some people like them and they've worked hard enough on them. Isn't that the meritocracy you always blab about?
        However, there's a difference between giving an option and arbitrarily deciding what is best for the user

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Because it's not huge. First of all - CSD is not the same thing as HeaderBar (if we are talking about GNOME). CSD is nothing more than drawing decorations on the client side (toolkit) instead of server side (window manager/compositor). You can still get small and traditional looking decorations with CSD. HeaderBar was designed to replace combination of titlebar, menubar and toolbar and it's not using more space than these 3 items combined.
          I'm talking about gnome's in particular, I'd say that most programs don't have a toolbar and the headerbar is no tinier than the titlebar + menu bar while showing less information, the only way I've found to reduce the size of the headerbar and csd elements is to use a modified gtk version, if there's a different way to accomplish this I'd like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by DKJones View Post

I'm not sure *any* placement of that particular nonsense would improve it, but if you know how, I'm all ears.
            Guessing here, but because File Edit Etc menus are on the upper left side of programs using traditional 9x styling. Menus are on the left side of the GNOME, Mate, XFCE, & OSX top bars. Menus are on the left side of KDE, Cinnamon, and Windows on the bottom bar.

And then you open up a modern program and the menu is on the right hand side next to all the window manipulation buttons. Everything else has it on the left side far away from the window management buttons, but, fsck it, it should be on the right side so all the pretty icons are next to each other.

The right side, Google programmer part is because the majority of people are predominately right handed and they design Android around that hence why we see so many right oriented hamburger menus -- they're easier for right thumbs to reach. That has, unfortunately, spilled over into desktop applications.

Q

Comment

JackLilhammers I don’t have a problem with the hamburger menus or the decision making. To me it’s just funny watching this attempt to rectify a mistake. First reject, then plagiarize, then blog about “same, but different”.

In a few years they are probably going to rectify the SSD mistake as well.
              How about we let this one go in the spirit of Gnome and KDE friendship?
              I'm not joking. From a big picture point of view, it would be a lot better if the communities of two -largely irrelevant- DEs kind of get along.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                Hamburger menu on the right side of the toolbar is one of the worst, no idiotic, ui conventions we got from smartsses at google. Do I really need to explain why?
                Actually it's always been on the right side of the toolbar and we didn't get it from Google.
                It was invented 40 years ago at Xerox for the Xerox Star desktop.

Comment

mppix Part of me agrees, but one thing needs to be rectified. It's not desktop specific, I promise

First reject, then plagiarize, then blog about “same, but different”.
                  I wonder how you manage say that with a straight face

Not only because I'm sure you're pretty happy with Gnome 40 and they copied Mac os Mission Control down to the gestures (and still they did not copy enough imo), but because copying is and has been essential, especially for free software.
                  I imagine you'd have said the same things about Gnu with Unix, or Linux with Minix, or any of the so many other examples

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

[...] has been essential, especially for free software.
                    Jack: You, Nate and other people exposed things as they were. You can see when someone's life is very sad... coming to an internet forum just to get the attention that they don't get at home. But your time is valuable, Jack 👌

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

I very much doubt that. Once everyone got pushed into working from home due to Covid, most of my colleagues — IT professionals, not just non-technicals — had to go out and buy external monitors for home, or borrow them from the office. I'd guess that very few laptop owners own an external screen... it kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop for most of them, requiring some kind of permanent desk space to keep it, when most of them want to just sit on the couch.
                      I refer you to my other post earlier....

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

My Mrs for one, takes work laptop out and about then hooks up for dual screen at the home & work office, she bosses IT engineers around for a living

Comment

Working...
                      X