GNOME 41 To Introduce Libadwaita For Helping To Define GNOME Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR
    Yawn! In every Gnome/GTK releated thread, there are legions of KDE trolls crying and spreading FUD. How boring.
    Probably because in almost every KDE/Qt thread, there are legions of GNOME trolls crying and spreading FUD, including one particularly nasty/smelly one.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
      What majority? The loud one on Reddit? I'd like to see the proof of this.
      We are legions. There are only a few GTK3 applications with CSD enabled (yet). Many of us use this hack which is present in every distro's main repository.

Mate users suffer from any GTK development.
      All GTK-based DEs suffer from GTK development. Xfce is still graphically broken in some places after the migration to GTK3 and this migration was not complete because a lot of xfce4 components have gtk2 in dependencies. For some reason, xfce4 become less lightweight after GTK3 update. I'm thinking of switching to KDE sometimes.

Mate is still pushing the GNOME2 vibes, so expect the userbase to be kind of upset with anything that changes something in general.
      Any DE except for GNOME3 (and later versions) is still pushing GNOME2 vibes because it's not trying to be a half-breed touchscreen rip-off.

4.2 is now even easy to build on Windows.
      How did they accomplish this? I'm not expecting from GTK4.2 to be easy to build on Windows after 20+ years of not being easy to build on Windows. I want GTK to be a cross-platform framework but the project is moving away from that starting with GNU/Linux.

So who is in control here? Your head or your dislike?
      Both. For me as a developer GTK is less efficient than Qt, it's less cross-platform friendly (that's why people use wxWidgets or Qt and not GTK) and lacks features because developers don't need them in GNOME. For a user... you know: broken themes, and CSD stuff.
      Last edited by Monsterovich; 31 March 2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

They already decided: https://discourse.gnome.org/t/new-gn...ng-scheme/4235

Agreed. This is part of the reason I switched from xfce to KDE.
        Ditto. GNOME and CSD moved me to XFCE. XFCE and CSD moved me to KDE.

IMHO, these days it feels like GNOME has fragmented the GTK ecosystem. Seems like half of GTK programs follow GNOME and CSD and the rest follow Mate and SSD. For the end user it just sucks; especially with distributions like Manjaro that offer multiple editions but all the tools are written in a GNOME/XFCE CSD style.

I hope libadwaita fixes that feeling of fragmentation I have.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR
          Yawn! In every Gnome/GTK releated thread, there are legions of KDE trolls crying and spreading FUD. How boring.
          You mean like the GNOME/GTK trolls that cry and spread FUD in KDE/Qt-related threads?

Comment

Originally posted by us View Post

You mean like the GNOME/GTK trolls that cry and spread FUD in KDE/Qt-related threads?
            Yeah.....like us GTK/Gnome fans warning KDE fanbois and C++ lovers for decades they were going to get burned one day by Trolltech and and whoever bought them in the future...( cough, QT, cough cough )
            Last edited by Jumbotron; 31 March 2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

GTK doesn't force and never forced usage of header bar. Nobody also forces you to make your GTK application comply to GNOME HID. You can still easily write traditional looking application with menu bar, toolbar etc. using GTK. Neither GTK+3 or GTK 4 changed this. Yes, GTK has own issues as well (like bad file chooser dialog or worse cross platform support compared to Qt) but GNOME design is not GTK feature. Try using MATE (already ported to GTK+3) and check if it's more similar to GNOME 2 or GNOME 3.
              GNOME Classic retains the traditional layout too.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Ditto. GNOME and CSD moved me to XFCE. XFCE and CSD moved me to KDE.

IMHO, these days it feels like GNOME has fragmented the GTK ecosystem. Seems like half of GTK programs follow GNOME and CSD and the rest follow Mate and SSD. For the end user it just sucks; especially with distributions like Manjaro that offer multiple editions but all the tools are written in a GNOME/XFCE CSD style.

I hope libadwaita fixes that feeling of fragmentation I have.
                same for me... but i never really felt home at kde.
                so i am back to xfce. but i still hate that csd/headerbar crap. i guess i just have to live with it

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

same for me... but i never really felt home at kde.
                  so i am back to xfce. but i still hate that csd/headerbar crap. i guess i just have to live with it
                  A hack to disable gtk+ 3 client side decoration. Contribute to PCMan/gtk3-nocsd development by creating an account on GitHub.

It won't fix the hamburger buttons but at least it would have a standard WMs header which matches selected xfce theme.

Comment

All these people complaining about GTK being too coupled to GNOME's UI design, when this announcement is intending to fix that exact issue! Reading comprehension, folks.

I think the biggest problem that libadwaita can't solve is the file chooser dialog. For non-GNOME use a less gnomey dialog would be better. But I think it's counterproductive to reward a positive announcement with only negative feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

A hack to disable gtk+ 3 client side decoration. Contribute to PCMan/gtk3-nocsd development by creating an account on GitHub.

It won't fix the hamburger buttons but at least it would have a standard WMs header which matches selected xfce theme.
                      thank you, but tbh i think its even more ugly

Comment

Working...
                      X