X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• markus40
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    It's not Gnome that should be abolished from Earth, it's (opinionated) people.
    Among them there's a fair handful of Gnome people, but they're in good company :'D

By the way, I'm all for comparisons between desktops and projects in general.
    If someone does something better, let's shamelessly copy that!
    There is nothing wrong with opinionated people. It is expressing an opinion which needs more tweaking. Criticism is fine, even needed. But the way it is now it is not working. Discussion is being stifled. When your needs are not met it is better to look elsewhere for a better fit. That doesn't mean you have to keep your criticism for yourself, but it is obvious then you and, for example, Gnome have different goals. Accept this and move on.

For now, I like the goals of Gnome. Flawed as the current implementation might be (mind you I find it still great). But I also think listening too much to what the user want would make Gnome just another variant of the same desktop paradigm which others already have and even do better. I don't want to go back to the Gnome 2.x, XFCE, Windows way of things. I want to see where this is going and meanwhile enjoy the ride.

For example, I liked Gentoo for seven years, used it everywhere. With new hardware, I copied the installation from another machine and kept using and upgrading it. For 6 and half years, the perfect solution for me. Then came the problems. Almost every emerge. I got frustrated because I wasn't with Gentoo for street creds, tinkering or the fastest of everything. I was with Gentoo for the rolling release. Furthermore, I reach out for help and I did everything wrong according to the community. With lots of personal attacks as if I was attacking Gentoo with my questions and criticism. Six years no problems I couldn't manage and the problems now were always fixable for me. But the work wasn't what I wanted to invest in my daily driver. But now it was my fault for raising questions because something obviously changed. I should reinstall, etc. But then the difference, FOR ME, between Gentoo and Fedora were NULL. Except with Fedora I would have a working desktop for a year, with Gentoo maybe till the next emerge. So I switched. 2 Years Fedora with the reinstallations. Then I found Arch, which I use now for more than six years as rolling release. We fit with the things I find important and when it diverts too much, which I hope not, I will switch again. Same with Gnome.
    Last edited by markus40; 26 March 2021, 05:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by markus40 View Post
    But do you see what I did above? What the KDE developer did in his video? I pointed out what I find Gnome could do better, without calling it a piece of crap that should be abolished from the earth. A thing that, predictable, will be mentioned in many, after time not so creative, words. In threads about Gnome, about KDE, about desktops and, often., even unrelated topics. Like a clockwork, as long as Gnome exists. I know because I use it from the beginning.
    It's not Gnome that should be abolished from Earth, it's (opinionated) people.
    Among them there's a fair handful of Gnome people, but they're in good company :'D

By the way I'm all for comparisons between desktops and projects in general.
    If someone does something better, let's shamelessly copy that!

Leave a comment:

• markus40
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    Do you seriously think anyone who criticizes Gnome is a troll/hater?
    Can't it be that they are valid criticisms?
    Yes, there are valid reasons to criticize Gnome. Like all desktops there are flaws and things that seriously needs improvement.
    Things like slowdowns, which improved a lot in 3.38. Mouse pointers that are not fluid and yes, the file picker too, could be improved (thumbnails).
    Consistency is great but could be even better, for example functional consistency like between Nautilus and the File picker. As I use this a lot it is annoying I can't do it in one go. In short, I really think Nautilus and the file picker should be essentially the same code.
    Also, extensions, try to find a way to keep the API consistent between releases. Although I think with Gnome 40 I can remove most of the extensions I use. But that is my workflow, others feeling probably different. It is great it is possible to change things in Gnome-shell with extensions. But the breakage and waste of code lost in the change. And the functionality lost forever for somebody relying on a not maintained extension.
    And there are a lot more areas which I think need work.

But do you see what I did above? What the KDE developer did in his video? I pointed out what I find Gnome could do better, without calling it a piece of crap that should be abolished from the earth. A thing that, predictable, will be mentioned in many, after time not so creative, words. In threads about Gnome, about KDE, about desktops and, often., even unrelated topics. Like a clockwork, as long as Gnome exists. I know because I use it from the beginning.

Of course there are flaws, bugs and annoyances in Gnome. But of the many, many desktops I have used professionally and at home, it is also the desktop I keep using in preference of all the others. On which I could make a list of which the many, many flaws I find in them. So yes, many critics I would call trolls and haters. I feel sorry for the people whose valid criticism gets lost in the avalanche of drivel they write.
    Last edited by markus40; 26 March 2021, 02:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mario Junior
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    5 - i've never seen this happens to me, for me is basically instantaneous even for folder with thousands of videos with previews(NVME and HDD drives with XFS/ZFS), or am i missing something here
    You call it instantly? Open the same folder with Dolphin and see the absurd difference.

Another test? See RAM consumption on nautilus and on dolphin on a folder without thousand and thousands png, jpg, gif, webm generating thumbnails... It's like a fucking memory leak on nautilus and this is not new.

Another problem is that nautilus seems to generate all thumbnails from scratch when you close it and open the folder again, except that it is slow as hell!

And no, this is not a muuuhhh kde is better than Gnome and vice-versa discussion, It's just a realization that nautilus is fucking garbage since Gnome 3.0 release.

Even Windows Explorer does a better job on this cenario.

And yes, I did the tests myself and saw the difference with my own eyes, using a nvme driver with a 3700x and 16GB 3733MHz RAM using Fedora 33 and XFS.

Leave a comment:

• verude
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    even now it has less features than unity 7
    I've never seen the scrollbar look and feel replicated elsewhere. When not in use it'd be thin and out of the way (but still high contrast so it's not like you'd miss it), and it'd be big when interacting with it, and at that point it'd also get and up and down button of its own that you could click on. I found it really sleek but it didn't seem to catch on in other DEs.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    It's your brain that makes it lag, as it consumes too much energy hating Windows.
    Not saying one shouldn't hate Windows, but with this specimen it's way too pathologic...
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-b8308d56134b

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...in-windows-10/

It seems there's no future for this specimen. Hopefully, evolution will just delete it. Have anything to say now or the rests of your brain just got deleted?
    Last edited by Volta; 25 March 2021, 08:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post
    Cursor in windows 10 is lagging as hell.
    It's your brain that makes it lag, as it consumes too much energy hating Windows.
    Not saying one shouldn't hate Windows, but with this specimen it's way too pathologic...

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by markus40 View Post
    I saw all of it in the last 23 years of using Gnome as my main desktop. The current batch are pale clones of the great trolls of the past.

Just for laughs, here is a KDE developer view on KDE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHza5X2Jt2g
    This must annoy the Gnome hater to no end.
    Do you seriously think anyone who criticizes Gnome is a troll/hater?
    Can't it be that they are valid criticisms?

If you want I can make a list of weaknesses in Gnome that we can discuss and you can tell me if I am a troll or a legitimate user.

By the way the dev in the video works mostly on design and in the video speaks mostly of visual consistency and touch support.
    Touch support in Gnome is arguably the best among all Linux desktops. Everybody knows that to the point that one of the common critiques is that is too touch oriented!

Also, I don't think anybody ever disputed Gnome's visual consistency, with the notable exeption of message dialogs.
    They're the only dialog with buttons where they should be, that is at the bottom.
    To me it's super weird that action popups put the actions visually before the information the user will act upon.

The first thing he mentions is the new gestures.
    They're cool. Nobody argues with that.
    And I hope they appear on Kde too.
    The problem is that they're nothing new. Mac os had them for ages. With the same gestures and the same identical controllable animations.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by BesiegedAce View Post

I don't see how you need to be an image-focused user to want a filepicker with thumbnails. Especially when it's been a feature elsewhere for literal decades.
    Of course, but for those users Gnome is definitely worse than the alternatives.
    And the worst thing it's the devs attitude.
    Barring that users should not even have ask for basic features in projects that present themselves as Gnome does, reading some of the answers in those long standing issues on gitlab is infuriating

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    It's definitely not better vs. using a software cursor on Windows.
    Cursor in windows 10 is lagging as hell. In Gnome it's perfectly smooth on my box. Even in games.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X