X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mario Junior
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    I wasn't implying anything, I did explicitly state that both file managers cache thumbnails.
    If Nautilus caches thumbnails, then it does VERY POORLY DONE to have to redo the cache every time unlike Dolphin, Explorer, Finder ... Nautilus is garbage in every way.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Found one possible reason for that: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/10026

(I didn't notice this before since due to occasional GPU hangs I was playing with RADV_DEBUG=hang, which has a similar side effect)
    Thanks for letting me know, though I always manually set up fifo/mailbox vsync anyway. So that Mesa MR unfortunately won't fix it.

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    -frame presentation with vsync < refresh rate for games in Wine/Proton looks more stuttery than it should
    Found one possible reason for that: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/10026

(I didn't notice this before since due to occasional GPU hangs I was playing with RADV_DEBUG=hang, which has a similar side effect)

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Implying nautilus also cache the thumbnails...
    I wasn't implying anything, I did explicitly state that both file managers cache thumbnails.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by vladimir86 View Post
    So it already arrived to Arch, and for what I can see.... It didn't change anything. I am not sure if it's because after an upgrade it recycles the old settings, but the version it reports is 40.0.0, but it looks, behaves and tastes exactly the same as 3.0. Literally the only difference is that my Wallpaper was gone and I had to select a different one.
    Pay attention to individual package versions. At least the repository that I'm using only has updated for some system components, but packages gnome-session and gnome-shell are still in version 3.38. The only major redesign is in Gnome Shell so you wouldn't notice much until it's updated too.

Leave a comment:

• vladimir86
    replied
    So it already arrived to Arch, and for what I can see.... It didn't change anything. I am not sure if it's because after an upgrade it recycles the old settings, but the version it reports is 40.0.0, but it looks, behaves and tastes exactly the same as 3.0. Literally the only difference is that my Wallpaper was gone and I had to select a different one.

Leave a comment:

• vladimir86
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

You are wrong. Gnome 3 allowed virtual workspaces on external monitors via a setting, and that didn't change in Gnome 40. Multi monitor support in Gnome 40 is degraded, not improved, with external monitors and virtual workspaces both sitting on the same axis, compared to the previous situation where physical screens sit on the horizontal axis while virtual ones sit on the vertical axis. It's amazing how so many people can't see what's wrong with workspaces and physical screens both sitting on the same axis.
    To be fair, I only use Gnome on my university laptop, and barely (It usually just boots up my Qemu freeBSD VM with CDE and I work there 95% of the time). I only know that whatever goes to the secondary monitor, can only be one window and will use all the screen, so I always piled everything in the primary, with the odd Discord and Spotify in workspaces below. I'll check out how to change it if you say it's possible (or see the differences: it is an Arch installation and might have moved to 40 already). Main computer uses Gentoo, and Gnome while it works, tends to end bugging out on non systemd installs. Plus compiling it takes just a little bit more time than something like I3, CDE or Xfce4, specially on a 5 year old laptop, so not whiling to install it on my main computer :P

Leave a comment:

• Mario Junior
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    They both use FFMPEG for generating the thumbnails so there possibly cannot be a difference. Maybe you don't realize that both file managers also cache the thumbnails on the disk, so you might be comparing a cached folder view on Dolphin to uncached view on Nautilus.
    Implying nautilus also cache the thumbnails...

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Marble is limited and doesn't support HiDPI too well (and even worse, it uses nearest neighbor scaling).
    For comparison, OsmAnd uses vectors.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I think I only just understood hat you meant.
    You meant the displayed graphic is first rendered on a "normal" resultion and then scaled up to match HiPDI instead or rendering in HiDPI directly, therefore giving you scaling artefacts?
    That might be but I cannot test as I don't have a HiDPI display / run everything at 100% scaling.
    Last edited by reba; 28 March 2021, 01:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Marble is limited and doesn't support HiDPI too well (and even worse, it uses nearest neighbor scaling).
    For comparison, OsmAnd uses vectors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X