Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Adds Adaptive Opacity + Will Avoid Useless Rendering When Screen Is Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Firnefex View Post
    In what? Making a totally bullshit DE a bit less bullshit? All presets are bad.
    I could never configure my desktop the way I want because it is very limited.
    And how long did it take for WIndows to have e.g. a dark mode or other useful things?
    Windows has a lot of options and it allows external customization through e.g. WindowBlinds or Classic Shell.

But I do agree that Windows by default was never my cup of tea either.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Windows has a lot of options and it allows external customization through e.g. WindowBlinds or Classic Shell.

But I do agree that Windows by default was never my cup of tea either.
      Actually, WindowBlinds (WB) and OpenShell (ClassicShell fork) go through hops to replace MS' default WM (WB) and shell (OpenShell).
      If anything, any attempt to customize Windows beyond what-ever MS sees fit, is either extremely hard or damn near impossible (Especially in WB's case).

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

Actually, WindowBlinds (WB) and OpenShell (ClassicShell fork) go through hops to replace MS' default WM (WB) and shell (OpenShell).
        If anything, any attempt to customize Windows beyond what-ever MS sees fit, is either extremely hard or damn near impossible (Especially in WB's case).

- Gilboa
        I've used WB in the past and it was extremely easy. But maybe something's changed now? Last time I used it was back on Vista or 7.

Comment

Its not just hard or damn near impossible. If you get it to work a windows update can cause the complete thing to explode badly or a anti-virus decide your modifications are malware.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-S...enu/issues/267 This is a OpenShell example of getting anti-virus false postive. Windows Blinds has had them as well. So its not just what MS sees fit its also fighting with different AV companies.

Customising a Linux desktop at this stage does not have the levels of nightmares customising windows does. Of course the anti-virus bit could change in future if we don't watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I've used WB in the past and it was extremely easy. But maybe something's changed now? Last time I used it was back on Vista or 7.
            The mere fact that its easy to use says nothing about Windows itself.
            As far as I remember, Stardock is doing a lot of black magic to get their own WM to replace Microsoft default WM. (A fairly simple task in the Linux world).

... Let alone trying to replace the shell (not just the start menu).

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Its not just hard or damn near impossible. If you get it to work a windows update can cause the complete thing to explode badly or a anti-virus decide your modifications are malware.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-S...enu/issues/267 This is a OpenShell example of getting anti-virus false postive. Windows Blinds has had them as well. So its not just what MS sees fit its also fighting with different AV companies.

Customising a Linux desktop at this stage does not have the levels of nightmares customising windows does. Of course the anti-virus bit could change in future if we don't watch it.
              You are correct, but one cannot blame MS for having AV and EP companies mark OpenShell and/or WB as malware.
              However, one can certainly blame Microsoft for making it damn near impossible to replace the WM and DE in Windows.

- Gilboa

Comment

You are correct, but one cannot blame MS for having AV and EP companies mark OpenShell and/or WB as malware.
                However, one can certainly blame Microsoft for making it damn near impossible to replace the WM and DE in Windows.- Gilboa
                Something to remember some of the false positive cases with AV is Windows Defender itself. Yes some of the cases of source material for the signatures AV companies use in these false positive cases is Microsoft themselves as well. So yes some of the false positive cases on OpenShell or WB as malware trace back to Microsoft own anti-virus department. So Microsoft hits anyone doing a custom shell from two sides.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Something to remember some of the false positive cases with AV is Windows Defender itself. Yes some of the cases of source material for the signatures AV companies use in these false positive cases is Microsoft themselves as well. So yes some of the false positive cases on OpenShell or WB as malware trace back to Microsoft own anti-virus department. So Microsoft hits anyone doing a custom shell from two sides.
                  I doubt its intentional. The market share is too small for MS to care.
                  That said, it is possible...

Comment

Working...
                  X