Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post

Nice troll there, bud.
    He's not trolling he just doesn't care about the old software and compatibility. A quite typical Open Source fan. I'm just amused to see him in the discussion of an application which allows to run ... binary!!! Windows!!! applications in Linux. What a heresy it must be.

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Not trolling, just the truth.

I am tired of cheapskates not bothering to invest 300 dollars a decade in hardware, complaining at devs that they are not spending hours of hard work to support their need.
    There's no truth in your words, just plain stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

He's not trolling he just doesn't care about the old software and compatibility.
      Wine will play 32 bit software on those 64 bit OS's anyway. The only complaint here is for building from source. About 99.9% of the world doesn't do that.

Either way, for those who want to, is it really that difficult to install an OS that builds wine 32 bit? No. Is it a big deal? NO.
      Last edited by ix900; 13 February 2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

Wine will play 32 bit software on those 64 bit OS's anyway. The only complaint here is for building from source. About 99.9% of the world doesn't do that.

Either way, for those who want to, is it really that difficult to install an OS that builds wine 32 bit? No. Is it a big deal? NO.
        As for you, you don't care about idiot PC users or users who don't want to fuck with their PCs to have basic features working. It would be great if you stopped equating all the people in the world to you. Absolute most people, when installing an OS, expect things to work out of the box. For some reasons you're actively against that.

Comment

I am tired of cheapskates not bothering to invest 300 dollars a decade in hardware, complaining at devs that they are not spending hours of hard work to support their need.
          It really has nothing at all to do with "cheapskates". While WINE strives for compatibility with recent software, one of its biggest strengths is providing a way to run old software and play old games on modern computers without the need for performance-crippling emulation or virtualisation.

I've had really great success playing a handful of titles from the 90s and 00s under WINE that gave me all sorts of troubles under Windows 10 - titles that can still be purchased today from GOG and Steam. Titles that I didn't have the time to play back then, and want to catch up on today in amongst my modern gaming.

We can watch old movies and listen to old music with ease today (just because art is old, doesn't mean it's bad). But playing old games from certain platforms continues to be a massive pain when there's no good reason for it. WINE offers us a great way to experience these older games on bleeding edge machines without the need for dedicated ancient hardware (ironically, the opposite of what you're claiming here).

Comment

You Are Not a Clown. You Are The Entire Circus.

Comment

Originally posted by akuhtr View Post

This is not about hardware, but about software! I have ryzen, but still need 32bit libs for 32bit apps, like game launchers.
              Also, somehthing I would worry about is 16-bit support if we move on to running the 32-bit windows stuff in 64-bit prefixes. I think it is really cool that Wine actually has better 16-bit support than actual Windows.

There is even a wine-on-windows fork to run 16-bit binaries on 64-bit Windows:

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post

Also, somehthing I would worry about is 16-bit support if we move on to running the 32-bit windows stuff in 64-bit prefixes. I think it is really cool that Wine actually has better 16-bit support than actual Windows.

https://github.com/otya128/winevdm
                From what I remember, the need for separate 32-bit and 64-bit prefixes won't go away because Microsoft made some ABI breakages between Win32 and Win64 that would be difficult to support both sides of in the same prefix.

I've forgotten the details but I think it was Weasel who explained it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post

https://github.com/otya128/winevdm
                  Yeah as ssokolow said, you can still make a 32-bit wineprefix even with the "latest" wine; it's also useful if you want Windows 9x era OS versions since those can't be selected in a 64-bit prefix (for old apps). Just pass WINEARCH=win32 env var before creating the prefix. Or upgrade an old 32-bit prefix and it should continue to work (but of course, regressions...)

Comment

Working...
                  X