No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Will Support Direct Scan-Out For Full-Screen Games / Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the bug says it's for "clients on the GBM backend". Tough.

Comment

Nice! Now only adaptive sync is left for Plasma on Wayland to become good for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        So not for X11?... :<
        correct me if i'm wrong, but with x11 can you at least disable composition before you launch a game? with wayland i don't think you have that option. i know with xfce i just keep it disabled. i play a lot of games and with amdgpu, i actually don't notice as much screen tearing like i use to when i had nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
          yet again Linux take one step closer to windows 7 in stable-wise and USEFULNESS
          Wake me up when Windows 10 will get closer to Linux performance and security. Birdie trolling from another account?

Comment

Originally posted by syrjala View Post

Slightly better perhaps. Unredirecting fullscreen windows has been a thing in X for a long time. You do get some extra copies when doing the transition though, so from that POV wayland can do a bit better.
            In contrast to Xorg, Wayland compositors can unredirect fullscreen windows which cover only one out of multiple monitors.

Comment

Funny thing is that despite all of the criticism Xorg receives, I still have better vsync with it + Mesa than on Windows with proprietary driver. It's nice that Wayland offers advantages, but multi-monitor users are a minority and when you run the game on all displays without tilt, vsync still works as expected (including VRR when all displays support it). So let's not always trample down Xorg when it doesn't deserve it, there are still enough cases remaining where this is justified.

Proton fullscreen hack btw. automatically resumes KWin's compositing when alt + tabbing out of a game and you can use it in wine-tkg as well. Thus I don't miss unredirect too much.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post

correct me if i'm wrong, but with x11 can you at least disable composition before you launch a game? with wayland i don't think you have that option. i know with xfce i just keep it disabled. i play a lot of games and with amdgpu, i actually don't notice as much screen tearing like i use to when i had nvidia.
                Yeah, but disabling the compositor is more of a hack than a proper solution.
                It's like a water heater without a cold option: to get cold water, move the pipe out and don't pass it through the heater instead of just using the cold passthrough directly from the heater.

I do not want to lose animations/eye candy when going back to the desktop.

Comment

It's like a water heater without a cold option: to get cold water, move the pipe out and don't pass it through the heater instead of just using the cold passthrough directly from the heater.

Nice. That is a great analogy that even I can understand.
                  GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Except instead of rerouting pipes, all you have to do is press a few keys

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                      yet again Linux take one step closer to windows 7 in stable-wise and USEFULNESS
                      Whatever Windows is doing today KDE did at least a decade ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X