KDE Plasma 5.22 Will Support Direct Scan-Out For Full-Screen Games / Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.22 Will Support Direct Scan-Out For Full-Screen Games / Apps

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.22 Will Support Direct Scan-Out For Full-Screen Games / Apps

While Plasma 5.21 isn't even out for a few more days, there is now a big reason to look forward to KDE's Plasma 5.22 release later in the year: KWin finally supports direct scan-out for full-screen games/apps!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yet again Linux take one step closer to windows 7 in stable-wise and USEFULNESS

Comment

Without having looked at how they implement it, the fact that they state "full screen" means that they are probably not using overlays at all (Planes in KMS speak). With overlays, you would get direct scan-out at all times, even when you do not do full-screen. But i guess that people still believe that that should all be handled by the 3d engine, which was the shortsighted, resource wasting, dogma of the 2000s.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
        Without having looked at how they implement it, the fact that they state "full screen" means that they are probably not using overlays at all (Planes in KMS speak). With overlays, you would get direct scan-out at all times, even when you do not do full-screen. But i guess that people still believe that that should all be handled by the 3d engine, which was the shortsighted, resource wasting, dogma of the 2000s.
        Hyperbole. Weston (and maybe sway/wlroots as well, not sure offhand) can already use KMS planes for non-fullscreen surfaces, mutter should get there in the near future (it just landed atomic KMS support, which was the major blocker). I expect kwin will get there as well sooner or later. Meanwhile, this is better than nothing (and better than what's possible with Xorg).
        Last edited by MrCooper; 06 February 2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

wow that video at the end on how to make plasma themes is good! i hope many people will start experimenting with that...
          thanks

Comment

So not for X11?... :<

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              we love you tildarrow... please don't abandon us yet :3

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                yet again Linux take one step closer to windows 7 in stable-wise and USEFULNESS
                You mean KDE plasma does? Actually, it's GNU-slash-linux...

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Hyperbole. Weston (and maybe sway/wlroots as well, not sure offhand) can already use KMS planes for non-fullscreen surfaces, mutter should get there in the near future (it just landed atomic KMS support, which was the major blocker). I expect kwin will get there as well sooner or later. Meanwhile, this is better than nothing (and better than what's possible with Xorg).
                  Slightly better perhaps. Unredirecting fullscreen windows has been a thing in X for a long time. You do get some extra copies when doing the transition though, so from that POV wayland can do a bit better. That said, I don't think kwin supports unredirecting fullscreen windows on X because they couldn't get it to work or something, lols. compiz and mutter certainly could do it at some point in time. Dunno what the current situation is since i don't use either these days.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    We still have kwin-lowlatency

Comment

Working...
                    X