GNOME Shell Merges Its New Horizontal Workspaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Constructive criticisms are welcome fby upstream GNOME appreciate. Some forks aimed to keep alive the legacy GTK2 but ended up adopting GTK, other ported the changes upstream after reviews and a rationale showing the benefits. The real issue of some criticisms is communication.

Back to the topic, the horizontal workspace is more akin to the smartphone usage like Android. Scrolling left to right with either touchpad or touchscreen/stylus feels natural.
    Actually, the vertical scrolling of the Nova launcher or HTC Sense on Android feels much more natural to me than the iOS left-to-right.

In Gnome, I don't know since I don't use Activities Overview or workspaces, but scrolling is usually top-down on mice and touchpads so my guess is it might be confusing for some users that scrolling vertically result in a horizontal movement. On Android or iOS, it's easy to swipe left-to-right so the intent matches the result more closely.
    Last edited by Mez'; 31 January 2021, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer_ View Post

Or, you know - simply open Nautilus, type: /tmp and press Enter (don't click on anything, just type). No shortcut required. No mouse interaction needed. It has been this way for years. If the text you type is an absolute path (starts with / or ~), then the text is interpreted as a path, otherwise it's interpreted as a search term.
      Is it something users will figure out on their own? I didn't even know and I've used Nautilus for several years.

kon14 For once, and not knowing of any other alternative, I've been using the Ctrl + L shortcut since forever, but I have to say the "Toggle Location Entry" button in nemo is cleaner and more user-friendly in every possible way. I don't remember if it was there by default, but you can definitely customize the toolbar in nemo. Some people haven't forgotten about flexibility.

By always trying not to get in the way, Gnome (and ecosystem) actually ends up getting very intrusive, as in A LOT in the way.
      Last edited by Mez'; 31 January 2021, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sn99 View Post

Yo, does this help you
        Code:
        gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.preferences always-use-location-entry true
        also `ctrl-h` for hide/unhide (I have never once in my life used the hamburger for this, just google man)

Now I have been using gnome(did use kde & mate for a few months) for a long time (not vanilla, I have extensions, shells & themes installed) and most of what everyone here is crying about is really stupid, like so fuckin dumb for no reason. But I would like gnome developers to improve some background stuff especially around the api's other than that keep it raw(as in customizable) cause tbh nothing be it kde or mate feel as polished as gnome.
        I'm aware of this setting and the hidden file keybind.
        The former completely replaces the breadcrumbs though, which isn't ideal either.

Personally, if I really need to edit something I'll most likely due it through the terminal or I'd navigate with cd before launching nautilus from it for stuff that's faster accomplished faster through ui selection.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Mez' Made by non-redhatters. Good luck with your Red Hat dictatorship conspiracy theory.
          No shortage of mad-hatters here while you're still have internet paid for in your mom's basement.

PS worthy achievement after >10 yrs of development lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            Is it something users will figure out on their own? I didn't even know and I've used Nautilus for several years.
            I figured it on my own… and I am merely a Gnome user.

"Type to search" is core Gnome HIG guideline, Nautilus breadcrumbs represent path and search UI is not attached below, but rather replaces breadcrumbs. In other words: if you're used to Gnome applications, then this pattern is logical and easy to discover. However, if you're used to Windows or KDE applications, then it's very likely alien and hard to discover (just like using Windows Explorer and Dolphin is hard for me - I find these interfaces ridiculously cluttered).

Comment

"Type to search" is core Gnome HIG guideline, Nautilus breadcrumbs represent path and search UI is not attached below, but rather replaces breadcrumbs. In other words: if you're used to Gnome applications, then this pattern is logical and easy to discover. However, if you're used to Windows or KDE applications, then it's very likely alien and hard to discover (just like using Windows Explorer and Dolphin is hard for me - I find these interfaces ridiculously cluttered).
              I'm used to Gnome apps (16 years) and if typing sometimes (not always) triggers the search box, I had never seen on the fly writing in the path.
              Then again, I'm using Ctrl + L out of habit.

Comment

Well, good for you. Discovering this feature is a little achievement in its own right.
                I guess it fits their design, but it completely disregards familiarity, making it quite undiscoverable.
                I'm not saying it's inherently wrong, but people who want to enter a path are much more likely to click on the address bar rather than start typing right away, and not because of Windows, Kde, Cinnamon, etc, that use Type-Ahead to look for names in the local folder, but because that's the way browsers work!

Comment

I think they've done a good job fucking up the remaining bits of functional UI left in version 3.

Though I struggle to see much features cut. Maybe they'll come with point releases?

Comment

I wonder why so many people seem to think that Gnome should "listen" to users. You're either a part of the community or you are not. You are either a paying customer of a downstream or you're not. As a user, you get what you get. It is obviously irrelevant what people say in comment sections around the web.

Do the users that Gnome are supposed to listen to, listen to the discussions in Gnome? Because if they don't, they have nothing to complain about.

Comment

The long standing highly irritating bug that places the cursor in the input box for search, rather than the file name, when saving a file is proof that gnome devs do not listen to input from users.

Fundamental usability errors on the most simplest of UI/UX interfaces that other OSs have solved since the early 90s still persist with Gnome in year 2021.

A classic case is this one, which dates back to 2009. Just browse through the discussion (especially #6 forward):

The save dialog box has the irritating habit of not focusing on the file name area once I have browsed to the location where I would like to save my document. This is done better in Windows. There are two main scenarios when saving a document where this behaviour annoys: Scanario 1 - Browsing to save location by double-clicking: 1. File -> Save As (to bring up the "Save" dialog box). 2. Double click on the folder in which you would like to save the document. 3. Notice that the focus i...

Comment

Working...
                      X