X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BesiegedAce
    replied
    Originally posted by callegar View Post
    How much does this interfere with long-press => autorepeat ?
    I'm wondering something similar. Wouldn't a longpress in an input field just autorepeat? Is there some key or key combo to trigger this instead of the normal autorepeat behavior?

Leave a comment:

• callegar
    replied
    How much does this interfere with long-press => autorepeat ?

Leave a comment:

• George99
    replied
    Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Well, I am typing this on a Sun Type 7 keyboard I found lying around two years ago, and which I use as my primary keyboard.

There is indeed a compose key, but it triggers the (in my opinion useless) context menu pop-up. Do you happen to have any idea about this? There are some DIP switches, but documentation is hard to come by...
    Don't flip the dips. I'm using Gnome but I think KDE will be similar: The compose key can be set in Gnome Tweaks->Keyboard and mouse->Compose key. I would try to assign it to "Menu" as you stated the compose key behaves like the context menu.

btw: The DIP switches are for l10n only as explained here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Sun_Type_7
    Last edited by George99; 06 December 2020, 07:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by baryluk View Post

Sure, visually speaking about the glyphs, ąęćłńóśżź are technically characters with diacritics, in the Polish language. But the thing they form, are not "accented characters". It would have been equally possible to have separate characters for this letters, that don't reassemble latin aeclnosz characters. Only ńśź are really close to their "main" character in sounds, and sometimes people make a mistake and write them as ni, si, zi, because ń and ni actually sounds on its own the same, i.e. koniec, and końec (second one a nonsensial world), actually sound the same. But, Środa, vs Siroda, sounds different. Zimno, Źmno also sound different (it is almost impossible to even pronounce the second one fluidly). There are no actual words starting with Ń, but even if I would want, to form one like, Ńsza, Nisza, they would sound different in pronouncation. These differences are not due to "accents", just them being different phonemes. Even English wikipedia gets this wrong, stating that Ńń are Nn with accute accent, which is untrue, even graphically, the "kreska" above Ńń (or in other ones, like ó), is different than the ´ diacritic, as used in other languages. I.e. ó and ó, are actually different. Unfortunately Unicode code it wrong, and they will look the same on your computer. In traditional Polish typography, they look different tho. (Here for some examples http://www.twardoch.com/download/pol...to/kreska.html , but http://www.twardoch.com/download/pol...to/ogonek.html is also a good read )

Anyway. Off topic.
    I think people here should stop focusing on "accented" characters.
    I think Michael used it as a broader term, since this keyboard idea stemming from phones is actually used for any alternative character to a base one (the ß is a double s, ç is for c, ź is for z, etc...).

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Holy moly! What a bunch of sissies* being offended by "Scheiße".

It's a very good example on the contrary, as you can do it on a phone keyboard with a long press on the s (I have to switch to german keyboard first though).

The ä, ö, ü, ë, ï, ê, î, é, à, è, ù and such are very easy to hit on azerty keyboards. Probably Hungarian, Polish, Czech, Swedish, etc... have their own easy ways to type the many accented characters in their language.
    On qwerty, not so much since the English language doesn't have many.
    Hitting accented characters through long presses would make it much much easier on qwerty keyboards and even if common in some leyboard layouts, it's still great if you can avoid changing your hand position to reach the combining keys.

* back off SJWs

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    It's a feature I'm missing when coming from a phone keyboard. That's amazing they thought of adapting it for computer keyboards.

I hope Gnome will follow, without the need for yet another extension.

It's convenient for:
    - Ç in French although not too complicated to hit (currently shift + ç) compared to Windows (alt + 0199)
    - í, ó, etc... in spanish
    - and the eszett in german, as I'm using Scheiße quite a bit myself (I can barely speak german though)

Leave a comment:

• baryluk
    replied
    Originally posted by rawr View Post

Looks like diacritics to me. The characters might have their own code points, but that still would be mostly characters with diacritics, no?

I agree that it's not only about characters with diacritics, but more about modifiable characters in sensible groups. Can we come up with a name for these not "normal" characters?
    Sure, visually speaking about the glyphs, ąęćłńóśżź are technically characters with diacritics, in the Polish language. But the thing they form, are not "accented characters". It would have been equally possible to have separate characters for this letters, that don't reassemble latin aeclnosz characters. Only ńśź are really close to their "main" character in sounds, and sometimes people make a mistake and write them as ni, si, zi, because ń and ni actually sounds on its own the same, i.e. koniec, and końec (second one a nonsensial world), actually sound the same. But, Środa, vs Siroda, sounds different. Zimno, Źmno also sound different (it is almost impossible to even pronounce the second one fluidly). There are no actual words starting with Ń, but even if I would want, to form one like, Ńsza, Nisza, they would sound different in pronouncation. These differences are not due to "accents", just them being different phonemes. Even English wikipedia gets this wrong, stating that Ńń are Nn with accute accent, which is untrue, even graphically, the "kreska" above Ńń (or in other ones, like ó), is different than the ´ diacritic, as used in other languages. I.e. ó and ó, are actually different. Unfortunately Unicode code it wrong, and they will look the same on your computer. In traditional Polish typography, they look different tho. (Here for some examples http://www.twardoch.com/download/pol...to/kreska.html , but http://www.twardoch.com/download/pol...to/ogonek.html is also a good read )

Anyway. Off topic.
    Last edited by baryluk; 06 December 2020, 12:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• uxmkt
    replied
    Originally posted by soulsource View Post
    What actually happened to the compose key? Is it still well-supported on KDE?
    Add another mark on the "Those who don't understand $thing are bound to reimplement $thing, poorly" sheet.

Leave a comment:

• verude
    replied
    Originally posted by soulsource View Post
    What actually happened to the compose key? Is it still well-supported on KDE?
    There's an option under advanced settings for the keyboard, you can set a key as compose key over there. But I dn't know if the option is there/works under wayland yet.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by reba View Post
    I also think the example word is quite misplaced and I wondered what's going on here with using that kind of words.

If you need something else, why not Me⃛täldötṥ or something that is not so offensive?
    Offend this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDLc-7OoMw

Leave a comment:

Working...
X