Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Hey, someone showed off this feature to me on OSX two weeks ago, and I thought it was quite handy, glad KDE isn't left behind.

So, does that mean there is a generic user input method protocol, or is it completely managed by the toolkit?

Originally posted by George99 View Post
    In the good old days when Sun was still shining their keyboards had a compose key in order to create such letters. I'm still using this key but now mapped to the right "Windows" Key (right super key). So ß can be composed with RWin-s-s and Motörhead with Rwin-o-"...
    Well, I am typing this on a Sun Type 7 keyboard I found lying around two years ago, and which I use as my primary keyboard.

There is indeed a compose key, but it triggers the (in my opinion useless) context menu pop-up. Do you happen to have any idea about this? There are some DIP switches, but documentation is hard to come by...

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
    Isn't Michael too?
    Sadly, no. Just really enjoy Germany, or in particular Bavaria.... Bavaria/Munich is/was my utopia.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
    Isn't Michael too?
    No, he's American. But according to an interview with Fedora Magazine, he does enjoy German beers, in particular Bavarian.

Leave a comment:

• kcrudup
    replied
    Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
    ... as a German
    Isn't Michael too?

Leave a comment:

• Rabauke
    replied
    I'm sorry, as a German, "scheisse" has a negative connotation and is misplaced in this heading (shouldn't appear in any heading of media which deems itself serious). Simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    This will be great. This is how Android keyboard works and is super convenient. I am learning Deutsch and have to have a keyboard layout for typing the äöü characters while actually hate the rest of the symbols arrangement. BTW KDE on Kubuntu 20.04 LTS rocks.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    If there is something offensive at all the it's the comments here ...

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    I can't believe it; everyone went off-topic from the very first comment of the thread...

Leave a comment:

• rawr
    replied
    Originally posted by baryluk View Post
    Zażółć gęślą jaźń. Well, there are no accented characters or diacritics in that sentence actually, despite what you might think at a first glance. These are separate letters, not "normal" letters with accents.

If you actually read the blog post, you will see it is not about "accented characters", but in general alternative characters, so ß does fit into that.
    Looks like diacritics to me. The characters might have their own code points, but that still would be mostly characters with diacritics, no?

I agree that it's not only about characters with diacritics, but more about modifiable characters in sensible groups. Can we come up with a name for these not "normal" characters?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post
    For the fun of it.

In the good old days when Sun was still shining their keyboards had a compose key in order to create such letters. I'm still using this key but now mapped to the right "Windows" Key (right super key). So ß can be composed with RWin-s-s and Motörhead with Rwin-o-"...
    Nice, I like that compose button idea. Although I'll keep using dead letters for that so that "-o=ö, "-u=ü, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X