• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by evil_core View Post

You are dead wrong.
    AZERTY is probably only used in France. In Poland only QWERTY is used. In the past it was mainly American ASCII, but now there's also international ISO used. (there are also some Dvorak/colemak, etc users, but definitely not AZERTY users)
    I'm not wrong. You READ wrong.

I listed some accented characters from the azerty layout, and then mentioned other type of languages with known specific accented characters which would probably use some specific layout. I wasn't talking about azerty there. The 2 ideas were dissociated.

Also, azerty is the standard in Belgium (included for dutch speakers).

Leave a comment:

• evil_core
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Holy moly! What a bunch of sissies* being offended by "Scheiße".

It's a very good example on the contrary, as you can do it on a phone keyboard with a long press on the s (I have to switch to german keyboard first though).

The ä, ö, ü, ë, ï, ê, î, é, à, è, ù and such are very easy to hit on azerty keyboards. Probably Hungarian, Polish, Czech, Swedish, etc... have their own easy ways to type the many accented characters in their language.
    On qwerty, not so much since the English language doesn't have many.
    Hitting accented characters through long presses would make it much much easier on qwerty keyboards and even if common in some leyboard layouts, it's still great if you can avoid changing your hand position to reach the combining keys.

* back off SJWs
    You are dead wrong.
    AZERTY is probably only used in France. In Poland only QWERTY is used. In the past it was mainly American ASCII, but now there's also international ISO used. (there are also some Dvorak/colemak, etc users, but definitely not AZERTY users)

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by dirlewanger88

So America then. Got it.
    What are you on about!?

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by dirlewanger88

Notice everyone who complained is German..? When you don't speak a language, foreign profanity all sounds equally harmless, even though it sounds weird and out of place to native speakers.

You're probably an Amerimutt - famous the world over for being culturally oblivious.
    And you're most certainly wrong. I'm from (and lives in) a neighboring country to Germany. I know many Germans or Austrians and they've never been offended by the word, except if you're being annoying and repeat it ad nauseam of course.

People should stop trying to guess or extrapolate. It often backfires and they don't look good afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• callegar
    replied
    > Always RTFA before commenting

The question was not "does this interfere", but "how much does this interfere". Are the two things mutually exclusive? Is the feature just limited to some keys (e.g., vowels that can get an accent)? Are keys for which the feature might not be relevant still autorepeating (space for instance) or does autorepeat get disabled also for them?

Leave a comment:

• skierpage
    replied
    Originally posted by callegar View Post
    How much does this interfere with long-press => autorepeat ?
    Always RTFA before commenting. "Naturally, the feature can be disabled (on the System Settings keyboard page) if you prefer the current behavior to repeat the held-down key."

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by andreano View Post
    Envious US-keyboard users?

Things you can type with an Alt-Gr key:
    *laughs in Compose key*

Leave a comment:

• archkde
    replied
    Originally posted by andreano View Post

* Punctuation/math: –, —, «»“” · × ¬ ± ºC π
    * Deutsch: Herr Überbeßerwißer
    * Svenska: Världen är ett smörgåsbord
    * Íslenska: Ég veit það
    * Français: Mon cœur est à la voiture, un Citroën.
    * Español: ¿Eres tú, señor Mañana?

I can speak for the standard Norwegian keyboard layout: It is surely unergonomic to program on, but I have yet to meet a European language I can't write in (apart from cyrillic). It has Alt-Gr, Shift+Alt-Gr and dead-key combos, which is like having another keyboard of symbols plus the two-key combos for putting on all kinds of accents.
    Ελληνικά? (Sorry I cheated, that capital epsilon was copied from a character table)

Leave a comment:

• Citan
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I can't believe it; everyone went off-topic from the very first comment of the thread...
    The true strength of a geek community (I have nothing valuable to add, but I did appreciate the discussion, learned a few German words and had a few laughs)

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied

* Punctuation/math: –, —, «»“” · × ¬ ± ºC π
    * Deutsch: Herr Überbeßerwißer
    * Svenska: Världen är ett smörgåsbord
    * Íslenska: Ég veit það
    * Français: Mon cœur est à la voiture, un Citroën.
    * Español: ¿Eres tú, señor Mañana?

I can speak for the standard Norwegian keyboard layout: It is surely unergonomic to program on, but I have yet to meet a European language I can't write in (apart from cyrillic). It has Alt-Gr, Shift+Alt-Gr and dead-key combos, which is like having another keyboard of symbols plus the two-key combos for putting on all kinds of accents.
    Last edited by andreano; 06 December 2020, 07:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X