No announcement yet.

Firefox 83 vs. Chrome 87 On Intel Tiger Lake + AMD Renoir Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox on Android is visibly slower than Chromium based alternatives. Since I need to synchronize my data between devices I also won't use Firefox on the desktop. Mozilla really needs to work to improve performance on Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Raploz View Post
      Firefox on Android is visibly slower than Chromium based alternatives. Since I need to synchronize my data between devices I also won't use Firefox on the desktop. Mozilla really needs to work to improve performance on Firefox.
      They have good ideas but they have this issue of not ending anything ever, so now we have:

1.) WebRender is kinda there but is not optimized yet ...
      2.) Servo was but kinda took pieces of it but miss optimizations ...
      3.) Warp landed but is not optimized yet ...
      4.) Video acceleration is kinda there but is not optimal yet ...

and so on and so forth, i just wish they stop for a bit adding new stuff and take 2 or 3 release to only focus on finishing things and optimizing the code with no new features or any other revolutionary half done world changing uber technology that will end up being Meeeh at best because half way they jumped to develop the next revolutionary half done world changing uber technology

Comment

maybe some bench with power usage worth it since it's supposed WR is to be more efficient. We have to see if it's or not..

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Again, nothing crashes for me on Wayland or X.org except for Firefox, this means:
          [...]
          So on and so forth, its ONLY FIREFOX nothing else but FIREFOX <-- is it clear now?

In not relevant if on X.org or Wayland, since the list above apply to BOTH and in BOTH is ONLY FIREFOX and FIREFOX ONLY that crashes <-- is it clear now?
          If it occurs on multiple distros, it seems to be a particular configuration setting of your system or configuration of Firefox.
          Did you report the bug to Firefox's bugtracker, so that they can reproduce your issue and fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Oh yeah, we all remember that garbage Optimus... I sure do...

GPL violations are not BS, they are real and they are serious.
            Then maybe blame Facebook who tried to do what you keep accusing Nvidia of. They were using Nvidia hardware and Facebook programmer introduced the code, you keep accusing Nvidia of.

Now, you know the truth, will you stop hating Nvidia? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post

If it occurs on multiple distros, it seems to be a particular configuration setting of your system or configuration of Firefox.
              Did you report the bug to Firefox's bugtracker, so that they can reproduce your issue and fix it?
              Yeap, i do the automated crash report thing and i put any data i could find at that time for a while now but every newer release is more random than the previous and my hardware is pretty vanilla as well.

Ryzen 5 2600 stock(also happens on an old Xeon E3 1231v3)
              16gb DDR4 Samsung B-die stock
              RX570 MSI 8GB(mesa+llvm stock and mesa+llvm GIT)
              M.2 NVME transcend 512GB (tried ext4, ZFS, XFS)
              Kernel 5.9.10 stock and Zen and even tested on latest LTS

I discarded my hardware tho and Mesa since basically nothing else fails, not even playing my highly modded SkyrimSE for endless hours or chromium/Brave with several instances and dozens of tabs.

Disabling WebRender helps a lot but still crash tho(also explained that in the reports)

Also happens in safe-mode, new profile or my work profile, even removing the whole .Mozilla folder makes no difference

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post

Then maybe blame Facebook who tried to do what you keep accusing Nvidia of. They were using Nvidia hardware and Facebook programmer introduced the code, you keep accusing Nvidia of.

Now, you know the truth, will you stop hating Nvidia? Lol
                So, it is true that Facebook with nVidia's help, committed the whole "GPL Condom" thing. But, that doesn't make Facebook or nVidia right, they were both wrong and they both violated the GPL. It seems to me that Facebook did it out of ignorance because they didn't even understand that it was a gpl violation. The difference being that nVidia has done it dozens of times prior to that circumstance while knowing exactly full well what they were doing.

You should look at the web search I linked to. There are literally dozens of examples of GPL-only violations as a result of nVidia attempting to use internal interfaces to hide their kernel modifications. I doubt you'll actually bother looking, you seem like an nVidia fanboy.

EDIT: Most times when a symbol gets marked GPL-only it's because somebody got caught using it in their proprietary module. nVidia has been caught doing that dozens of times. There are -so- many symbols that got marked GPL-only -because- of nVidia getting caught red handed!
                Last edited by duby229; 29 November 2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Yeap, i do the automated crash report thing and i put any data i could find at that time for a while now but every newer release is more random than the previous and my hardware is pretty vanilla as well.

Ryzen 5 2600 stock(also happens on an old Xeon E3 1231v3)
                  16gb DDR4 Samsung B-die stock
                  RX570 MSI 8GB(mesa+llvm stock and mesa+llvm GIT)
                  M.2 NVME transcend 512GB (tried ext4, ZFS, XFS)
                  Kernel 5.9.10 stock and Zen and even tested on latest LTS

I discarded my hardware tho and Mesa since basically nothing else fails, not even playing my highly modded SkyrimSE for endless hours or chromium/Brave with several instances and dozens of tabs.

Disabling WebRender helps a lot but still crash tho(also explained that in the reports)

Also happens in safe-mode, new profile or my work profile, even removing the whole .Mozilla folder makes no difference
                  If it helps: Debian stable + Gnome 3.34 and testing + Gnome 3.38, both Wayland: Firefox (both from Debian repo and flatpak) in default config with some extensions has never crashed. Force enabling Webrender and/or HW acceleration is not perfect, yet but I also had only one crash so far.

For testing, I would recommend to install the vanilla firefox with flatpak (without changing anything in about:config and only install "verified plugins"). This uses limited system libraries and different conifg files; I'd be very surprised if that crashes as well..

Comment

Every so often, however, we must remember that Chromium is open source, those who choose the Chromium engine for their browser browser make an open source choice. If someone doesn't like some Google tweaks to the Chromium engine, they can fork it, because it's open source software.

Comment

These benchmarks are interesting in a "horse race" sort of way, but the vast majority of people aren't going to notice. More importantly though is Google's notorious pervasive fickleness. Companies are turning away from their business solutions and going toward other solutions such as AWS and Azure because frankly their professed strategies aren't reliable. We've already seen how that has poisoned their consumer space. The interesting thing however is that even though their sales team acknowledges this fact, their engineering and upper management appear oblivious. I suppose this happens to all large companies, they are innovative at first but then believe they have captive customers and the downfall begins. Chromium / Chrome is a disaster in the making. Google created Chrome to have more control of the internet and to feed their advertising engine. What do you think is going to happen when they determine that their investment in Chrome is no longer paying off? What is going to happen to all these Chromium knockoffs when Google pulls their development dollars? It's going to be complete mess. That is why it's important that mozilla stay healthly so they are around to pick up the pieces. It's just a matter of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X