Firefox 83 vs. Chrome 87 On Intel Tiger Lake + AMD Renoir Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Honestly you are right but my problem is every iteration of Firefox keep getting crashier and crashier where chromium and brave get more rock solid for me every release, Honestly i use firefox still because the theming and the sync but my patience is growing very thin lately.

Tested:
    Firefox 83 arch release, Fedora 33 wayland release and official mozilla tar.gz, all of them crash randomly all the time.
    I guess my particular problems with chromium is not at runtime but rather at compile-time. It usually craps out on a build error, which indicates to me very poor testing. (And most likely undefined behavior if you can manage to hack it enough to get it to build)
    Last edited by duby229; 29 November 2020, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Woul really appreciate to see how much better is firefox 83 against 82, and chrome 87 against 86

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Oh yeah, we all remember that garbage Optimus... I sure do...

GPL violations are not BS, they are real and they are serious.
        For an absolute majority of Linux users that's BS, plain and simple and if NVIDIA using internal kernel APIs doesn't allow you to sleep at night, my condolences. Perhaps you have no real issues in your life to fret over such things. They are not stealing GPL code. They are not selling or offering proprietary software which incorporates GPL code. Perhaps you need to check your understanding of GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

For an absolute majority of Linux users that's BS, plain and simple and if NVIDIA using internal kernel APIs doesn't allow you to sleep at night, my condolences. Perhaps you have no real issues in your life to fret over such things. They are not stealing GPL code. They are not selling or offering proprietary software which incorporates GPL code. Perhaps you need to check your understanding of GPL.
          Perhaps you need to recognize that the kernel uses a GPLv2 Only license for -exactly- that reason. They incorporate kernel modifications in their binary driver, which they do in fact distribute. Obvious GPL violation. It's not BS and it -is- serious.

Comment

Perhaps you need to recognize that the kernel uses a GPLv2 Only license for -exactly- that reason. They incorporate kernel modifications in their binary driver, which they do in fact distribute. Obvious GPL violation. It's not BS and it -is- serious.
            Citations needed.

Comment

Keep in mind with the JS benchmarks, with WARP being new with this release, they haven't build up ultra-optimized paths for the benchmarks as Chrome has. At least on my Windows 10 desktop, FF and Chrome are neck to neck in day-to-day performance.

Comment

They just produce drivers which are hot garbage, which do not integrate well because they use solutions that made sense 20 years ago but are now obsolete.

Their drivers only do the minimum effort, and they are doing so violating the spirit and the letter of the GPL, most people do not realize how badly the nvidia drivers interact with a Linux system, they are stuck in the past in the way they interface with X and the Kernel in terms of display (compute is another matter).

Birdie, the flying menace, why are you here just to suffer? It is an honest question.

You're not a Linux user, at most you boot Linux once a week and I'm not sure even why you bother yourself and us.

Comment

Citations needed.

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get such interviews in your inbox: https://www.tfir.io/tfir-daily-newsletter/Linus says that GPL V3 is a neat licence b...

These are Linus' own words about the matter. He ranted about it numerous times, I could find more links if you want me to.

Comment

I haven't had a single Firefox crash in the past at least three years.

Oh, you're using a toy graphical server for those who like experiments. And on top of that you're using a highly unstable distro. Case closed, sorry, I don't give a fuck. I prefer to use software solutions which offer the best reliability and the most functions - Wayland is anything but. And that's X.org for me.
                    Firefox Wayland crashes less than X.org for me, so joke is on you.

And is not just Arch, Pop OS and Fedora show the same behavior for me the only thing i don't have to test is an Intel IGP.

And yet the point still stands, Chromium derivatives are faster and more stable and are even more advanced that Firefox(Vulkan is working great already on all derivatives releases).

Another issue i noticed is that Firefox rendering on Linux at least seem to clog hard the first render on big DOMs and animated GIF/videos on heavy sites simply stop loading after few scrolls down(9gag for example) whereas Chromium just pop things on the screen for me, also when you inspect a big DOM Firefox suffer a lot to render, sure chromium also take some hits but is visually a lot faster

Comment

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get such interviews in your inbox: https://www.tfir.io/tfir-daily-newsletter/Linus says that GPL V3 is a neat licence b...

These are Linus' own words about the matter. He ranted about it numerous times, I could find more links if you want me to.
                      Nothing pertaining to the issue we've really had and which has been raised just recently. Sorry, your GPL belligerence doesn't even have proper confirmations/proofs (most links are old as f-k) but sure "NVIDIA is bad".

Comment

Working...
                      X