Blender 2.91 Released With A Multitude Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Not that I often correct people's typos but, ho stands for prostitute, you probably mean hoe.
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I did. Honest mistake.
    That makes it even funnier. Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning.

Comment

Great progress even if for professional (feature film) needs, it’s too weak workflows and performances.

Comment

Wow, so much new things in this release! I am so impressed with how the developers managed to bring so much new!

I wish the GIMP team had more money and full-time employees like the Blender team.

I think it would be really cool if they refactored out the Blender UI code into a widget toolkit library that could be used by other applications and games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          Wonder how long it will take them to make a version of Blender for the Apple Silicon M1 not only specifically made for the ARM architecture but tuned and optimized for specific M1 features such as it's visual core and it's Neural Net and Advanced Matrix Math core?
          Honestly given the Apple Inc. long standing hate of FLOSS.... And with complete control of the hardware, I would not expect much.

At best, I would assume that blender would have open access to things that Apple cannot keep hidden as a part of the llvm project which they are a main contributor to and are completely reliant upon.
          Outside of that would be anyone's guess and, frankly, Apple's not going to volunteer that information.

I would be happy to be wrong but I live in the real world. Apple support of Open Source applications has not been great. It would be fair to say that they care more for Maya than Blender.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
            Great progress even if for professional (feature film) needs, it’s too weak workflows and performances.
            Ehh ? Netflix 'Next Gen' movie was made in Blender, and it was very professional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZn3kCsw5D8

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              On Ubuntu Blender 2.91 is available as a flatpak release.
              flatpak search blender
              flatpak install org.blender.Blender

(provided you have the flathub repo)
              And here I thought Flatpak was distro-agnostic...

Comment

Wonder how long it will take them to make a version of Blender for the Apple Silicon M1 not only specifically made for the ARM architecture but tuned and optimized for specific M1 features such as it's visual core and it's Neural Net and Advanced Matrix Math core?

I would love to also see if they add M1 specific optimizations to make Blender's Video Editor second to none in FOSS.
                I believe that Blender already compiles for ARM. I don't think Blender team has much interest in spending time improving performance for a very specific non-professional laptop CPU used by a negligible number of users in only two models of laptops and one model of mini-desktop. Unless Apple is willing to contribute money or code (which I wouldn't realistically expect), I seriously doubt that there will be any progress. Macbooks are not rendering machines and using their new CPU's additional features unlikely will change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post

Ehh ? Netflix 'Next Gen' movie was made in Blender, and it was very professional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZn3kCsw5D8
                  There is ONE technically very forgettable movie - out of hundreds of other ones that are WAY more complex - that got made with Blender. Blender is now great a tool for films then...? No.
                  With no nodal lighting/scene management/render pass output system, some crap workflows from the old days, and a memory consumption that goes through the roof with basic scenes, it's not tomorrow that the industry will embrace Blender.
                  Some younger than Blender softwares got adopted by film industry while Blender stay out of the league because unlike Blender they are designed for pros needs, not for week-end hobbyists and noobs.
                  Last edited by rmfx; 26 November 2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I would love to also see if they add M1 specific optimizations to make Blender's Video Editor second to none in FOSS.
                    They don't care about this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And here I thought Flatpak was distro-agnostic...
                      And what makes you think it's not?

Comment

Working...
                      X