GIMP Turns 25 Years Old As Leading Open-Source Photoshop Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Well, GIMP doesn't need to have feature parity with Photoshop in order to be great. GIMP is never going to have feature parity with Photoshop because Photoshop have a huge team of full-time programmers and Photoshop does 3D and stuff too.
    That doesn't really exclude it from reaching feature parity. I'll remain positive for now.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post

That doesn't really exclude it from reaching feature parity. I'll remain positive for now.
      Well looking at the pace of development it doesn't look as its so fast. It doesn't have the manpower and budget of Blender. It still lacks support for CMYK, some things cannot be implemented due to patents such as Pantone, and it still doesn't have non-destructive editing. Also opening some file types often does not work. Saving GIF files often end up with some weird green hue where its supposed to be white.

Comment

Big congrats and thanks to the Gimp devs. I use Gimp for professional work and prefer it to Photoshop. Are there things it is missing vs other certain other editing software? Yes, but you can say that about all photo editing software including Photoshop. The move to GEGL was a lot of work but opens the way for so many things. As Gimp is feature complete enough for me to do what I need to get done I don't have any major concerns over the pace they are moving at. There have been a lot of major improvements over the last few years. Would some thing like non-destructive editing be a big plus? Yes, but it hasn't stopped me from getting work done yet and the devs have been working towards it.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
          I wonder whether GIMP will ever run on the latest version of the GIMP tool kit again.
          Probably not. GTK started out as the GIMP Toolkit, but has since turned into the Gnome Toolkit for all practical purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            Considering that that GIMP is at least as good as PhotoShop 7 which was released just 18 years ago, I guess they are catching up
            It shouldn't be hard since Photoshop no longer really exists. Now all you have is a consumer webpage that looks a little like Photoshop used to.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

It shouldn't be hard since Photoshop no longer really exists. Now all you have is a consumer webpage that looks a little like Photoshop used to.
              Probably the point is that Adobe still has tools that are marketed and used by graphic designers that exceed Gimp whether its still Photoshop in name or in history. I still equate GIMP to Photoshop of the 90's either way.

I feel GIMP is really all that's needed. But, professionally things are different with people expecting Adobe to be used.
              Last edited by ix900; 22 November 2020, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                its kind of sad to name it "leading OS photoshop alternative"
                Krita is the leading open-source Photoshop alternative. Now 2

Comment

I don't think a free program can match a paid one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hash View Post
                    I don't think a free program can match a paid one.
                    Because the developers are essentially doing voluntary work. They only profit from donations and sponsors.

Comment

Congrats GIMP and keep up the good work!

On a related note; Whatever happened to that GIMP fork that tried forcibly re-naming the project? Did that ever go anywhere because I can't remember seeing it do much beyond get some publicity on a few news sites.

Comment

Working...
                      X