GIMP Turns 25 Years Old As Leading Open-Source Photoshop Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP Turns 25 Years Old As Leading Open-Source Photoshop Alternative

Phoronix: GIMP Turns 25 Years Old As Leading Open-Source Photoshop Alternative

It's been twenty-five years to the day since GIMP was started as an open-source image editor and in turn sparked the creation of the GTK tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Happy Birthday and Congratulations.

Comment

Congratulations to the GIMP. Let's hope it has its name in another 25 years and has not been forced to change because someone gets offended!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

its kind of sad to name it "leading OS photoshop alternative"

Comment

I've found that digikam does nearly all I need in that area. Probably too simplistic for most Photonic readers, but good enough for me and easier to figure out than gimp.

Comment

Happy Birthday, GIMP was one of the first open source programs I ever used and it got soooo much better since

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              I've found that digikam does nearly all I need in that area. Probably too simplistic for most Photonic readers, but good enough for me and easier to figure out than gimp.
              Wait you have a computer that allows you to read in Braille?

Comment

I wonder whether GIMP will ever run on the latest version of the GIMP tool kit again.

Comment

Considering that that GIMP is at least as good as PhotoShop 7 which was released just 18 years ago, I guess they are catching up

Congratulations GIMP, your one of my essential tools

Comment

I've tried a nightly build of GIMP 3 but unfortunately it was not usable. It was very buggy and crashed a lot.

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    Considering that that GIMP is at least as good as PhotoShop 7 which was released just 18 years ago, I guess they are catching up

Congratulations GIMP, your one of my essential tools
                    Well, GIMP doesn't need to have feature parity with Photoshop in order to be great. GIMP is never going to have feature parity with Photoshop because Photoshop have a huge team of full-time programmers and Photoshop does 3D and stuff too.
                    Still GIMP is decent today for image manipulation and it can be improved to be even better.

Comment

Working...
                    X