Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Foundation Planning For More Initiatives In 2021

Phoronix: GNOME Foundation Planning For More Initiatives In 2021

In soliciting for year-end donations, the GNOME Foundation shares some of how they plan to use generated funds over the next years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    More GnomeOS please!
    I can't think of anything I could care less about. Paying just a bit of attention to users requests and collaborate with other projects instead of playing the Apple of the poor would be a nice change of pace instead

Comment

Please add one more initiative for 2021:

- Dump that horrible desktop UI that looks like an Apple/Android hybrid and give us something usable.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        Dump that horrible desktop UI that looks like an Apple/Android hybrid and give us something usable.
        Lost cause. Support KDE and/or MATE instead if you don't like Gnome Shell.

Comment

Please add one more initiative for 2021:

- Dump that horrible desktop UI that looks like an Apple/Android hybrid and give us something usable.
          Well then let's use kde and mate which looks like windows....

Comment

How about a goddammit file picker chooser?

Comment

"new swag”

At least they have one truly admirable goal.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  "new swag”

At least they have one truly admirable goal.
                  Hey.. next time I am at FOSDEM (well, not next year eh..) I damn well want some new swag! I judge projects by their stands. Debian only got S sized hoodies this year so that is a negative mark right there.

Speaking of that, KDE also needs to step up their game.

Last edited by cen1; 17 November 2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to GTK4, though probably for different reasons than a lot of people.

Right now, every bug, every piece of braindead UX "design", multiple GTK2 features that were dropped from GTK3 (many just because of "maintainers" that screwed up and were then too arrogant / lazy / whatever to accept the 3-line patches needed to reinstate them) CANNOT be fixed, because only a single copy of GTK3 is allowed on a machine. Once the CADT moves on to GTK4, other GTK-based DEs will be able to take the good parts of GTK3 (and there actually ARE genuinely-good parts, like HiDPI support etc) and start fixing bugs, restoring lost functionality, etc, without having to deal with the NIH, "what users want doesn't matter", and other behavior that prevents those fixes making it into the GNOME upstream.

At that point, GTK3 will be able to transition to being a "boring" codebase that just gets bugfixes, instead of one that constantly undergoes random breakage that downstreams have to work around. It'll unfortunately be too late to save us from double-height title bars, the CSD-inflicted loss of predictable UI behavior and appearance, and most of the other damage caused by GTK3, but it's still a better place to be than where we are currently, for everyone involved.

I wish the GNOME team all the best - but I'm looking forward to them having much less of a negative impact on my desktop for the next few years at least.

Comment

Working...
                    X