No announcement yet.

GNOME Foundation Planning For More Initiatives In 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really looking forward to GTK4, though probably for different reasons than a lot of people.

Right now, every bug, every piece of braindead UX "design", multiple GTK2 features that were dropped from GTK3 (many just because of "maintainers" that screwed up and were then too arrogant / lazy / whatever to accept the 3-line patches needed to reinstate them) CANNOT be fixed, because only a single copy of GTK3 is allowed on a machine. Once the CADT moves on to GTK4, other GTK-based DEs will be able to take the good parts of GTK3 (and there actually ARE genuinely-good parts, like HiDPI support etc) and start fixing bugs, restoring lost functionality, etc, without having to deal with the NIH, "what users want doesn't matter", and other behavior that prevents those fixes making it into the GNOME upstream.

At that point, GTK3 will be able to transition to being a "boring" codebase that just gets bugfixes, instead of one that constantly undergoes random breakage that downstreams have to work around. It'll unfortunately be too late to save us from double-height title bars, the CSD-inflicted loss of predictable UI behavior and appearance, and most of the other damage caused by GTK3, but it's still a better place to be than where we are currently, for everyone involved.

I wish the GNOME team all the best - but I'm looking forward to them having much less of a negative impact on my desktop for the next few years at least.

Comment

Release two more GNOME editions.

I propose: 1) Doesn't Break Plugins Edition
      2) No CSD Edition

Standard GNOME jokes aside, what's a GNOME edition? Do they mean like GNOME Flashback, GNOME Classic, and GNOME Shell?

Because: 1) GNOME Tile
      2) GNOME TV

Those should be self explanatory -- Tile is adopt the PopOS shell because it kicks ass and lots of GNOME users want a tiling option.

IMHO, the default GNOME top bar and full screen app launcher doesn't really work all that well on TVs. I'm not sure what a good alternative would be, but I'd start with something like Steam Big Picture Mode and GNOME the hell out of it.

Comment

I never understood how Gnome 3 could both lacking lots of features and be slow at the same time.
        And what do they want to improve, the usability from 0.1% to 0.2% ?
        And in 10 years to bring the desktop icons back ?
        I remember years ago when I switched to MATE just to avoid it and i was pretty happy with it.
        But even so, 3 years ago I switched to KDE and never looked back.
        KDE is really feature packed the the progress is still going forward like crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

I can't think of anything I could care less about. Paying just a bit of attention to users requests and collaborate with other projects instead of playing the Apple of the poor would be a nice change of pace instead
          GnomeOS is actually a very useful thing for developer as testing platform. Especially for Gnome Shell hacks, so that they have a chance to be ready, when a new version of GS is released.

IMHO collaboration only works if there is some common ground to work together. desktops nowadays don't have this. They share at best the base system (like in GTK, gvfs,…) and here I miss other projects (in the likes of Qt, deepin) much more, then the Gnome project. For the desktop I dont see anything where much collaboration is possible, because everyone holds its own idea about what the desktop should be. TBH Gnome is on this, from what I can see, the only one with its own unique look and feel. So it is a good idea in staying focused and polish more apps and maybe replace the broken ones with good alternatives that are already out there.

I'm happy about the progress of this linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I never understood how Gnome 3 could both lacking lots of features and be slow at the same time.
            And what do they want to improve, the usability from 0.1% to 0.2% ?
            And in 10 years to bring the desktop icons back ?
            I remember years ago when I switched to MATE just to avoid it and i was pretty happy with it.
            But even so, 3 years ago I switched to KDE and never looked back.
            KDE is really feature packed the the progress is still going forward like crazy!
            And yet still you cry in a forum about how you never looked back :^)

If you're happy on Plasma, be happy on Plasma. That's totally fine. GNOME is not that traditional desktop you're looking for and that's also completely fine. Isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

Hey.. next time I am at FOSDEM (well, not next year eh..) I damn well want some new swag! I judge projects by their stands. Debian only got S sized hoodies this year so that is a negative mark right there.

Speaking of that, KDE also needs to step up their game.
              openSUSE nearly always brings its "A" game in the swag department.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                Please add one more initiative for 2021:

- Dump that horrible desktop UI that looks like an Apple/Android hybrid and give us something usable.
                And let's make another wannabe Windows/traditional desktop because we don't have enough yet. Great idea!

Can we make git reset to the GNOME 2.32 and start from scratch please?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Well then let's use kde and mate which looks like windows....
                  ....and is a minefield...

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                    - Dump that horrible desktop UI that looks like an Apple/Android hybrid and give us something usable.
                    both apple and android have far more users than ui of your choice, i.e. they are more usable

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                      I'm really looking forward to GTK4, though probably for different reasons than a lot of people.

Right now, every bug, every piece of braindead UX "design", multiple GTK2 features that were dropped from GTK3 (many just because of "maintainers" that screwed up and were then too arrogant / lazy / whatever to accept the 3-line patches needed to reinstate them) CANNOT be fixed, because only a single copy of GTK3 is allowed on a machine. Once the CADT moves on to GTK4, other GTK-based DEs will be able to take the good parts of GTK3 (and there actually ARE genuinely-good parts, like HiDPI support etc) and start fixing bugs, restoring lost functionality, etc, without having to deal with the NIH, "what users want doesn't matter", and other behavior that prevents those fixes making it into the GNOME upstream.
                      lol, i have bad news for you. santa isn't real. if those other des were able to do such things, they'd fork gnome 3, change it's location to not conflict with main one and make you happy. but they didn't, because they can do it only in your imagination

Comment

Working...
                      X